Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2021 6:56:44 PM EDT
Hello,

I’m going to be in AZ for about a month, mostly around Glendale and some around Green Valley.  Any good public land to shoot 100m or more w/in a couple hour drive of either? I’ve looked at the BLM website, anything special to knot about shooting in AZ though?

Feel free to email/PM if you’d rather not post a favorite spot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
A good spot is off exit 40 I-19, it’s BLM land with several places that are apparent shooting areas with good backstops. About 20 minutes south of Green Valley.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, no shooting anywhere in the state due to fire restrictions outside of ranges.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The whole state is in fire restriction mode, meaning no target shooting until lifted. Use an on the grid range please.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
SERP is a safe and affordable place to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hello,

I’m going to be in AZ for about a month, mostly around Glendale and some around Green Valley.......

Thanks!
View Quote

Depends on what month you are talking about ?
We will be lucky if shooting restrictions are lifted by October, maybe the end of September.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
AZ outdoor shooting is closed until further notice.  BLM and Forest Service land is closed for fire restrictions.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Above posts nailed it.

Fire restrictions are a necessary restriction this time of year.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for bad info. Haven’t been shooting in a while.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info.  The BLM AZ website gives a list of areas closed for fireseason but it sure made it sound like there were still areas available... Does the whole state usually close to target shooting for fire season?  Around here we have to take 5 gallons of water and a shovel for fire season, total closures are rare a limited to a particular forest.  -Just wondering because my mom lives down there but I,ve never visited for long enough to look for shooting spots before.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info.  The BLM AZ website gives a list of areas closed for fireseason but it sure made it sound like there were still areas available... Does the whole state usually close to target shooting for fire season?  Around here we have to take 5 gallons of water and a shovel for fire season, total closures are rare a limited to a particular forest.  -Just wondering because my mom lives down there but I,ve never visited for long enough to look for shooting spots before.
View Quote

Every year for as long as I can remember fire season shuts down BLM target shooting (Even up in the mountains) There's no shortage of outdoor ranges though so I'd do a google.  Some are closed on Mondays and some require reservations in advance (due to covid) but there's always one open within driving distance of metro Phoenix 7 days a week.

If you're in Glendale, your best bet is Ben Avery (45 minutes from the center of Glendale at the most)  During the week you can probably walk in.  Weekends you have to reserve a table in advance.  There's also at least 1/2 a dozen indoor ranges as well if you don't mind maxing out at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#11]
[[b]Quoted:

Every year for as long as I can remember fire season shuts down BLM target shooting (Even up in the mountains) There's no shortage of outdoor ranges though so I'd do a google.  Some are closed on Mondays and some require reservations in advance (due to covid) but there's always one open within driving distance of metro Phoenix 7 days a week.

If you're in Glendale, your best bet is Ben Avery (45 minutes from the center of Glendale at the most)  During the week you can probably walk in.  Weekends you have to reserve a table in advance.  There's also at least 1/2 a dozen indoor ranges as well if you don't mind maxing out at 25 yards.

Thanks! I saw Ben Avery on the drive into town... probably would have worked out great.  Unfortunately I decided to leave the rifles at home so I don’t inadvertently burn down your state! Guess I’ll just have to go for some early morning hikes or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top