Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2021 11:29:58 PM EDT
We bought a smaller "Shed" that we keep under the backyard porch. More like a large oversized Plastic outdoor "closet". We figure its good enough since it is out of the sun.

But there are larger ones they sell at Home Depot that are fairly large. How well do these things hold up in the AZ (Peoria) Sun? Do they dry out, crack, or melt under the unforgiving sun?
OR should I stick with metal/wood?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
They will eventually crack and fade. Very few things survive summer heat.UV rays don’t mess around
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Plastic and the sun.  The sun always wins.  Question is only how long it takes.  I considered getting a small one as I have a spot out of the sun.  It would block the window in my office but heck, all I can see is a wall 12 feet away and a bougainvillea anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if you painted them if they would last longer or be more UV resistant.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one out if full sun for 6 years now, its a flip up roof for 2 trash cans/kids toys.  Roof is faded.  But it still hold weight fine, kids climb up on it all the time.  I have a co-work who has had is larger shed under his carport for almost 20 years.

If you can go look at the model in person.  As most major brands make several levels of quality and unless you can check it out its hard to know which level quality your getting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a Rubbermaid 2 door...about a 4x6 in full sun for 12 to 15 years.  No issues yet...

My wife bought it and I thought it was junk but put it up anyway. I was wrong and havent had the lawn mower or spreader in my garage for years.  Its a winner and I would do a large one like Costco or Sams sells if I could have it in my 'hood..
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Paint would definitely help, the problem is keeping the paint attached to the plastic.   I have a used one that I came by from a house flip and is quite a clever design by a company that has since gone out of business.

You could tell the UV was killing the plastic and it barely survived me moving it.  I paint the roof with oil based paint to try and extend the life...  As it peels I touch it up with spray paint.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if you painted them if they would last longer or be more UV resistant.
View Quote

Use automotive plastic prep and bumper paint.

It comes in spray cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top