Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2021 2:39:21 PM EDT
The wife and I are headed to Sedona in a few days for a week of R&R and to escape our crazy governor.  Can any of you fine AZ folk let me know some must see things in the area or maybe some hidden gems?

We Plan on driving up to see the Grand Canyon but will be spending the rest of the time in Sedona.  We are big into hiking and see there are plenty of trails to use.  I will have a rental vehicle so a little travel is not a big deal.  Thanks for any input you have!
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In/near Sedona

Hikes
-Devils Bridge
-Oak Creek Canyon

Swimming(if applicable)
-Slide Rock State Park(if not a zoo)
-Red Rock State Park

Wine
-Cottonwood area
-Page Springs area

Ruins
Montezuma Castle NM
Montezuma Well NM
Tuzigoot NM
Honanki and Palatki Heritage Site

Jerome - mining town on hillside that is artsy now.

Oak Creek Canyon Vista point and Drive on 89A.. probably how you will drive to Flagstaff

Flagstaff are and beyond
-Walnut Canyon National Monument
-Sunset Crater NM
-Meteor Crater
-Winslow
-Petrified Forest NP
-Grand Canyon NP

There is so much more, but those are a start.

Most stuff should be open, but sometimes they close things for other reasons, so always verify before going.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Crescent Moon hiking area is pretty neat. Red Rock State Park like mentioned above. Bearizona is on the way to the Grand Canyon. It's right at the turn off to the Grand Canyon. I-40/HWY 64.

ETA: Chance of snow this coming Friday up there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crescent Moon hiking area is pretty neat. Red Rock State Park like mentioned above. Bearizona is on the way to the Grand Canyon. It's right at the turn off to the Grand Canyon. I-40/HWY 64.

ETA: Chance of snow this coming Friday up there.
View Quote

Crescent Moon is one of our favorite swimming holes when in that area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Saw the weather was going to be chilly on Friday when we arrive. No biggie. I have lived in Michigan my whole life and have no issues with snow.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I live a few miles from Sedona and my wife id originally from the U.P. of MI.

To make your trip easier be prepared to drive the roundabouts and watch out for CA drivers and all drivers for that matter. Turn signals here are optional and so are stop signs. Sedona can get really bust traffic wise especially on Sat. and Sunday when all the weekend trippers come to town. around 5-8 pm are the worst times when they are going back to their rooms or going out to eat.

Get up early to go see things and to beat some of the crowds. A lot of tourists don't get out of bed and get going until 10 am.  

There is a place called Airport Vista where you can park and watch the sunset from the top of the Mesa. You pay $3 to park across the road at the airport lot and it is worth the price of admission on a clear evening. The airport loop trail is right there too and is about 3 miles long, but it is a nice hike for being close to town. There is a Vortex right near the trail head if you are into that.  If you are going hiking bring water as the dry air here can fool you. Courthouse Vista and Bell Rock are another nice hike.

Out of Africa near Camp Verde is kinda fun as you can hand feed a giraffe.

Elote is the best restaurant for a nice dinner. They are higher end and about $60 -$100 a person depending and with drinks. They do not take reservations but you can have a margarita while waiting. Ask for a table with a view.

Check out Cottonwood and Jerome for a day. I work in Cottonwood and the Old Town part of town has nice shops and restaurants and the town of Jerome is right up the hill. I live just down the hill from Jerome and my wife and I yell at all the MI Trolls who drive like crap : )

If you get bored and want to take a little road trip or side stop on the way from Grand Canyon then there is a volcano crator and lava flow field just North of Flagstaff. I thought the lava flow rivers were as neat to see as the Grand Canyon as they are different.

Watch out for snake when hiking as it is the time that they are starting to get more active. When you are out hiking watch where you step and climb. It really sin't anything to be worried about though.

The Jeep tours are kinda neat and fun too as they can take you some places you might not normally see or find on your own.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live a few miles from Sedona and my wife id originally from the U.P. of MI.

To make your trip easier be prepared to drive the roundabouts and watch out for CA drivers and all drivers for that matter. Turn signals here are optional and so are stop signs. Sedona can get really bust traffic wise especially on Sat. and Sunday when all the weekend trippers come to town. around 5-8 pm are the worst times when they are going back to their rooms or going out to eat.

Get up early to go see things and to beat some of the crowds. A lot of tourists don't get out of bed and get going until 10 am.  

There is a place called Airport Vista where you can park and watch the sunset from the top of the Mesa. You pay $3 to park across the road at the airport lot and it is worth the price of admission on a clear evening. The airport loop trail is right there too and is about 3 miles long, but it is a nice hike for being close to town. There is a Vortex right near the trail head if you are into that.  If you are going hiking bring water as the dry air here can fool you. Courthouse Vista and Bell Rock are another nice hike.

Out of Africa near Camp Verde is kinda fun as you can hand feed a giraffe.

Elote is the best restaurant for a nice dinner. They are higher end and about $60 -$100 a person depending and with drinks. They do not take reservations but you can have a margarita while waiting. Ask for a table with a view.

Check out Cottonwood and Jerome for a day. I work in Cottonwood and the Old Town part of town has nice shops and restaurants and the town of Jerome is right up the hill. I live just down the hill from Jerome and my wife and I yell at all the MI Trolls who drive like crap : )

If you get bored and want to take a little road trip or side stop on the way from Grand Canyon then there is a volcano crator and lava flow field just North of Flagstaff. I thought the lava flow rivers were as neat to see as the Grand Canyon as they are different.

Watch out for snake when hiking as it is the time that they are starting to get more active. When you are out hiking watch where you step and climb. It really sin't anything to be worried about though.

The Jeep tours are kinda neat and fun too as they can take you some places you might not normally see or find on your own.
View Quote

Thanks for the input, I was looking at Elote and sounded like a nice place!  Also just be thankful my troll wife isn't driving.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Wake up early on a weekday and head right to the West Fork trailhead.  Bring sandals or water shoes as well as your boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top