Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2021 4:37:34 PM EDT
So I've ordered a 500,000 BTU propane torch , a little hand truck for a 20gal propane tank And 16 extra feet od hose .

I been spraying them with about everything they sell at Home Depot . They wilt alittle then BOOM they are back .

So no more screwing around I am getting medieval with their asses , and its become personal .

Has anyone burned their weeds ? Does it work good ?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
i did one year, was not too impressed with the results vs the effort required. now i pay a guy to spray preemergent and spray weeds as the come.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You gotta do a combo..

First you need quality poison, then spray.. once they start dying, then you burn them.  Might take a few rounds, but should be less and less each time.

If you burn green weeds, they take longer.

I just put the flame up decent.. rarely use turbo mode.

(from a few years ago)
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Use Ortho Groundclear concentrate and a hose-mounted insecticide sprayer like this:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

(I use an older ACE one that isn't dial adjustable. You want basically the 'strongest' mix you can find)

Spray every portion of your yard you don't want weeds. For about 9 months, you won't have weeds. When you start to see some again... spray the whole yard again.

The Groundclear really doesn't work on stuff that's already growing. Use Roundup for that. But it will keep stuff from growing, and it's available at ACE, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, unlike some of the other pre-emergents where you really need a bug & weed mart type of place.

I have a burner, but that just is for getting rid of stuff that you've already killed with Roundup. The Groundclear will keep you from having to do it in the first place.

ETA: Product data not loading but the links are working.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Vinegar, dawn dishwashing detergent and epsom salts work on everything that wants to grow in my yard.

Not sure of the ratio, but you can find it on goggle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You gotta do a combo..

First you need quality poison, then spray.. once they start dying, then you burn them.  Might take a few rounds, but should be less and less each time.

(from a few years ago)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddmz5kflvdk
View Quote

Thanks for the info I'm thinking you are right !

ASUAXE Thanks for the poison info I will use the product you recommend and burn too .

I sprayed them last week and they are in the wilted stage now . Hopefully my new 1945 Okinawa M1 Flamethrower will come in quick .
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Which torch is that?

Quoted:
You gotta do a combo..

(from a few years ago)
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which torch is that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Which torch is that?

Quoted:
You gotta do a combo..

(from a few years ago)

Looks to me like the harbor freight one.  Pay the extra for the one with the built in igniter, they can blow themselves out easily, and it makes relighting them a TON easier.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks to me like the harbor freight one.  Pay the extra for the one with the built in igniter, they can blow themselves out easily, and it makes relighting them a TON easier.
View Quote

Yup.. HF with igniter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Has anyone burned their weeds ? Does it work good ?
View Quote
Yes, but be careful of debris close to your house.  Sometimes it can get away from you.  Have a hose ready and charged if you have any doubts.

I keep my torch at the ready in the summer.  Every few days I only have to hit a handful of weeds.  It sucks if you let them get out of control.

A few years back I removed all my rock to redo it.  I laid some some serious Pramitol before putting in new rock, so my weeds are mostly under control.  They are so insidious that they actually grow between the new rocks, rather than into the soil.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I didn't.  I wish I did, but I knew it would probably fail quickly.  I just carry a long BBQ lighter with me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried it and was a little disappointed in results vs effort.  Pr-emergent treatment has worked best for me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes, but be careful of debris close to your house.  Sometimes it can get away from you.  Have a hose ready and charged if you have any doubts.

I keep my torch at the ready in the summer.  Every few days I only have to hit a handful of weeds.  It sucks if you let them get out of control.

A few years back I removed all my rock to redo it.  I laid some some serious Pramitol before putting in new rock, so my weeds are mostly under control.  They are so insidious that they actually grow between the new rocks, rather than into the soil.
View Quote

I am going to add on to this.. barrel cactus needles are rocket fuel flammable.  I had no idea until I put a giant bald spot on one of my wifes barrel cactuses when i got a little too close.  It took 3 years for it to heal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#13]
RANGER PRO is what you want at A&E 26th ave and Northern .
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am going to add on to this.. barrel cactus needles are rocket fuel flammable.  I had no idea until I put a giant bald spot on one of my wifes barrel cactuses when i got a little too close.  It took 3 years for it to heal.
View Quote

My friend did that with a saguaro in my mom's yard when we were kids.  That was probably 20 years ago and it still has the scar.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tried it and was a little disappointed in results vs effort.  Pr-emergent treatment has worked best for me.
View Quote

Yep, twice-yearly spraying is the only thing keeping my yard from being overrun by that fucking monstrosity known as chamomile.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Today I went to Home Depot and bought a HDX 1 Gal. sprayer , it was 10 bucks !
It really works well , I mixed up a bacth of Spectra poisin and sprayed my yard of rock .

Also I ordered a 16 ft extra gas hose last night .... it showed up today ! Amazon is amazing . The rest of the the the M1945 Okinawa Special
should come in tomorrow or the day after .

Then Bruuu Haa Ha ! I will roast their asses enmass
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I dropped a palm tree a couple years ago and had been fighting seedlings forever until I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with 4 gallons of vinegar and 1lb of salt. Did this 4 times to cover the area where the seedlings were sprouting. Aside from the vinegar smell for a couple hours, nothing has attempted to grow back there. Before that I tried everything, pre-emergents, poisons, fire. Nothing seemed to stick but this did. I wish I had a way to soak the entire front yard. I spent bucks on .5mil weed barrier and that hasn't stopped weeds from popping through.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#19]
How I have dealt with weeds here in AZ has been like this.  About a month before monsoon season.

1)  chop them down to near the ground with a weed whacker and clear debris

2)  Burn the remains and use a hoe to scrape a little below the surface while burning to get the top of the root

3)  Spray with old concentrated ground clear mixed to specs on the bottle.

Usually good for a year of no weeds or very few small weeds easy to manage.  Further years doing this treatment results in less and less weeds returning.  Just be careful around plants that you actually want to keep.  That old ground clear is potent.

Radio
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
^^^  Item 1) weedwacker-- A friend broke a couple windows in his house and one in my RV by using a weed wacker in his AZ dirt yard.  Choose wisely
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#21]
i use water softener rock salt in my open areas.  takes a couple doses then just a maintainer amount when it rains twice a year.

i use a fertilizer spreader set wide open.  this area gets a full bag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Those damn weeds never knew what hit them ....Whoosh....

The thing is loud too

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those damn weeds never knew what hit them ....Whoosh....

The thing is loud too

View Quote

I picked up the Harbor Freight torch and used it for the first time today.  I never knew killing weeds could be so fun.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top