Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/10/2021 1:40:13 AM EDT
As the times are uncertain, and in case shit goes sideways, it might be good to have a way to contact people if arfcom were to go away.

Im working on installing signal, discord, learning ham, etc to diversify comms in case stuff gets shut down.

If you already have stuff setup and want to put it here for others, please post up. If you would like my info, please pm me (im not that awesome, but willing to try and keep the flow of information going), if you have info on good apps/websites/practices for comms and PERSEC, PLEASE post up info as i (plus others im sure) need help.

If you are here to talk shit, post dumb negative shit or not be helpful or productive, fuck off!

Im not sure how we could do some vetting as well, since we know there are people here who are clearly and admittedly against 'us', but some safeguards would be helpful along with what those safeguards would/could/should be would be helpful.

ETA:
Quoted:
Myself, @Jeepsnguns81, and @dread_scott have been working on figuring out a secure platform to have an AZ HTF chat and have found Telegram to be a solid choice. If you click the link it will take you to the website for the app and you can follow the appropriate link to download. You can also just go into the apple or android App Store and type in telegram and it should be the first option.

Once you have installed the app you have to sign up which consists of verifying your phone number using a code that you receive through text. When setting up your information you do not need to use your real name but you can if you want. You can use your Arfcom name so we can easily identify who is who.

Before joining the ground a few things must be done if you don't want people having your phone number.
From the main menu in the bottom right of the screen is the settings tab.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/358930/F73DA9E1-46B4-42B2-A711-C4CD08EB3BA7_jpe-1776944.JPG

Once there you can click edit in the top right and set your username. Again you can set it to your Arfcom username.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/358930/713F2839-72D2-40B3-9786-70590D382B4B_jpe-1776947.JPG

Then go back to the settings menu and click on Privacy and Security.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/358930/F49BD001-A898-4CBA-87C8-47CB61EC0481_jpe-1776951.JPG

Once here under privacy make sure your who can see my phone number is set to Nobody and who can find me is set to contacts only.

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/358930/C7AE2A23-33C2-4783-A897-4A021AEA6EE4_png-1776952.JPG

https://www.ar15-backup.com/media/mediaFiles/358930/1F12CB25-EFAF-4E8F-B620-D560EE30141A_png-1776955.JPG

All other settings are optional. Once you have done this ask myself or the other two for an invite and we will send a link via Arfcom PM or email.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think this is a good idea.

Maybe best to break things down by smaller geographic area and have a few people from each area have contact info for a few folks in the other area's groups.

I am in the Vail/Corona area SE of Tucson.  Maybe we could form a small group of people in this area along with GV, Sahuarita, Rita Ranch and SE Tucson.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
We did something like this earlier. It might have gone to archive
Iirc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
On Fox News this AM, the CEO of Parler said Amazon, where Parler's servers reside, gave him 24 hours to get all of his data downloaded as Amazon is shutting him down.  If I recall correctly, Arfcom is hosted on Amazon servers.  If so, it is only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We did something like this earlier. It might have gone to archive
Iirc.
View Quote

I remember that a map of member locations was done a few years back by AGW and GSL after Wessono needed some help.  Not sure if it ever went beyond that, but I wasn't doing a good job keeping up with the site around that time.

I am not sure what OP is thinking, but I was thinking more along the lines of small groups (less than 10) that are loosely connected with other small groups.  For instance, I am sure the east valley has 50 plus members active on the site (if not more).  Instead of them all being in one group, they can figure out groups of 5-10 individuals and exchange info/meet up as a small group.  A few people in the group can get contact info for members of other group who then get contact info for members of another group establishing a loose affiliation of the groups.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On Fox News this AM, the CEO of Parler said Amazon, where Parler's servers reside, gave him 24 hours to get all of his data downloaded as Amazon is shutting him down.  If I recall correctly, Arfcom is hosted on Amazon servers.  If so, it is only a matter of time.
View Quote

Yup, ARF uses Amazon servers.  Site staff seems nervous as pretty much any political thread in GD is getting moved to a TEAM only area.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discord is ran by the CCP (Tencent). Just a heads up friend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I remember that a map of member locations was done a few years back by AGW and GSL after Wessono needed some help.  Not sure if it ever went beyond that, but I wasn't doing a good job keeping up with the site around that time.

I am not sure what OP is thinking, but I was thinking more along the lines of small groups (less than 10) that are loosely connected with other small groups.  For instance, I am sure the east valley has 50 plus members active on the site (if not more).  Instead of them all being in one group, they can figure out groups of 5-10 individuals and exchange info/meet up as a small group.  A few people in the group can get contact info for members of other group who then get contact info for members of another group establishing a loose affiliation of the groups.
View Quote

Im not sure what i was thinking either. i unfortunately only know when there is a problem, usually not exactly what to do about it.

So small groups, large groups, secret squirrel groups, whatever. I just know SOMETHING needs to be done. I have about a dozen arfcommers numbers spread throughout the state, but would definitely like to have a core group in the nw valley or maybe just west valley.

I had a sinus headache all day, gotta finish up downloading and signing into the new apps and sites.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Discord is ran by the CCP (Tencent). Just a heads up friend.
View Quote

Well good to know. Might be good to have as a communication source with no real info being talked about. Definitely should keep sensitive info to protonmail and other encrypted pro free speech platforms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I am interested as well. N PHX area.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Flagstaff area here. Looking more and more like this internet blackout/censoring is going to be widespread, a local contact group seems like a really good idea at this point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
North Mesa here
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Northwest Phoenix checking in
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
North Phoenix here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Goodyear here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgive me if I've overlooked it, but I have not seen any suggestions on what exactly to do to establish contact outside of the site. IM or email me and I am willing to connect through text/signal app/email. If the site does go down, at least we'll have some sort of contact to start with.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI, ARFCOM reported on FB they are on a backup server.  Looks like Godaddy kicked them off
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know of a PRO 2A restaurant in the valley? Not just 'no signs posted' but actually friendly towards? If not, i guess next best might be 'no signs posted'.

If so that could be a good place to meet up if anyone is interested in that?

Also not sure if everyone wants to do semi-biggish meets and put names and faces together and split from there? Or just go to smaller groups straight from the gate? Or just do online meets (granted this would probably be the least secured, but could be helpful in some scenario's)

I downloaded signal and telegram, both are supposed to be encrypted messaging apps. I have protonmail for encrypted email and protonVPN, for a free vpn at the moment. Im even going to be looking into what is involved in changing out the OS on my phone because im not sure how much all that shit will matter if google or anyone else has access to my phone and can see what my phone sees.

If people would like to meet, please throw out (or pm me and i'll update the thread) ideas on places and times. I know scheduling will be the biggest issue, i have very flexible availability and a car with good gas mileage, i want this to happen. The sooner the better as well.

Also if we do a meetup, try to have the programs listed above installed as there is a way to verify users in person. Also we should make sure ALL location services are turned off on our phones before going and after we verify each other on those apps (and maybe others if more apps come to light) we should have our phones completely turned off. Seems excessive i know, but from reports of 'camps for conservatives' and 'maga rallies = domestic terrorism' and all the other twists the msm are making, better to not take any chances.

If you have any other ideas or suggestions, let'em fly!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#18]
San Tan Valley checking in.

Friendly restaurant seems like a great place to have an initial meetup to start working out a plan and getting to know each other better. The time to push things off, or make up excuses as to why we can’t make it are over. Bad times coming and this isn’t a Hollywood movie. No one is coming to save us. It’s up to us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Northwest Phoenix checking in
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm near Goodyear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
N. Phoenix
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]
In the archives is the "AZHTF locator idea" thread, gone to archive.

This Link was how you could add yourself to the google map.

AZHTF Member Map is what it's called.

Of Course, being Big Data - well, use responsibly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Surprise checking in.

@dread_scott PM sent
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
North Central Phoenix here. Feel free to send DM
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Im out shopping, as soon as im done, i will message everyone in the post. Hopefully more show up as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I’ve tried 3 times to send an IM and it won’t accept the
Anti bot code. I’m sure I’m putting the correct number?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Prescott here, formerly far N Phoenix until just a couple months ago.

The only fellow ARFer I know is in AJ. Also active ham.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Arizona Shitty, I mean city here. If you look at a map, and see Casa Grande, picture it taking a leak, and AZ City is right where it would land. Fat old man with minimal goodies and old Navy training.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
North Phoenix here...
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Central PHX
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#31]
So i sent an im/email to everyone in this thread with my info and a short note. If i missed you, please im me.

If you do not have protonmail, id advise getting it because both parties sending and receiving need to have the encryption, otherwise its worthless.

Same with the messaging apps, we would each need to be writing through signal to have our messages encrypted.

If you dont want to post in the thread but want my info, please im me.

I will start planning some stuff to get the ball rolling asap for meet up(s). I have no real "schedule" feel free to send messages at anytime, i'll just reply as soon as im able.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I’ve tried 3 times to send an IM and it won’t accept the
Anti bot code. I’m sure I’m putting the correct number?
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Central AZ checking in.

@Gunslinger808
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw your IM, sent you a message on Signal, signed up for protonmail but can't get back to the IM to see your email address. When I click the IM button it takes me to another tab in my browser.
Emailing people from here may be better than IM's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#35]
It would be good to have a Signal group or Keybase (if it wasnt owned by fucking China based Zoom)... Membership should be only after some sort of face 2 face or voucher system. Anyone got more ideas, or debate to those points? I'm all ears.

@AZNetEng
@freeride21a
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#36]
...Why don't we establish a 2M calling frequency?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Santan area here. I set up signal and proton. Im down for meet ups
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I setup a Signal account.  Is there a group, like Whatsapp?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same here.
View Quote

Where are you guys sending an im, here or through signal?

Quoted:
I saw your IM, sent you a message on Signal, signed up for protonmail but can't get back to the IM to see your email address. When I click the IM button it takes me to another tab in my browser.
Emailing people from here may be better than IM's.
View Quote

I replied to your signal, turned my phone off for a bit, sorry. I was gonna do email, just not sure how many people still use the email they signed up with, plus im that stsy on this site seem more secure...

Quoted:
It would be good to have a Signal group or Keybase (if it wasnt owned by fucking China based Zoom)... Membership should be only after some sort of face 2 face or voucher system. Anyone got more ideas, or debate to those points? I'm all ears.

@AZNetEng
@freeride21a
View Quote

Yeah some sort of requirement should be in place to keep the group secure. Im gonna dive more into signal and see what i can figure out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAM would obviously be good, unfortunately im an idiot and am trying to understand it still... i do have a couple of baofengs (yeah, i know, china...) So if you tell me what freq, i can listen.

I know we have a couple of hardcore HAM's hear, if you guys wanna handle that side and just tell us uninformed what to do, thatd be awesome!

Quoted:
I setup a Signal account.  Is there a group, like Whatsapp?
View Quote

Never used whatsapp, so not sure comparison wise. It does say something about creating a group, problem is, not sure who wants to be in groups and who wants to be one on one, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Membership should be only after some sort of face 2 face or voucher system.
View Quote

I agree with this although I'm not sure how it would work.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm interested. NW Glendale.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Whatsapp is Facebook if I've read correctly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not sure how well something like Signal will work when our phones are all controlled by Google or Apple (legitimately not sure). Should we rely on something like that or should we rely on something physical like the restaurant idea? Both? None?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be fun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m in N Phx as well - seems like a few of us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not sure how well something like Signal will work when our phones are all controlled by Google or Apple (legitimately not sure). Should we rely on something like that or should we rely on something physical like the restaurant idea? Both? None?
View Quote

Thats my worry as well, and unfortunately dont have an exact answer. Were just gonna have to do the best we can with what time, resources and info we have right now. The more people looking into secure modes of comms, the better.

Quoted:

View Quote

Well there is one of the HAM's!

Quoted:

That would be fun.
View Quote

Well you nerds have at it!
(Im totally a nerd too, just not a radio nerd.)
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Dread, got your im and tried to reply to it but it seems like something is screwy with the im system here. Will get a Proton account set up and look into the messaging app as well. Hopefully some more local guys chime in here, but this is a good start. Will keep and eye on this thread and make contact when I get some of the comms set up
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dread, got your im and tried to reply to it but it seems like something is screwy with the im system here. Will get a Proton account set up and look into the messaging app as well. Hopefully some more local guys chime in here, but this is a good start. Will keep and eye on this thread and make contact when I get some of the comms set up
View Quote

The im's can be a little screwy. They do open in a new window and there should be a green arrow under it to reply. Or if you download the programs, just reach out with my info through those channels.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top