Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 7:09:07 PM EDT
Well, figured a thread would hold me more accountable, and maybe others would jump in here too.

I'm pretty tall, 6'2". Weight, in my glory days, hovered around 175-200. Overseas, weight on the lower end of that scale, as I ate better. No fried foods, lots of noodles and veggies and a steady diet of the local strange.

Few years go by, add weight slowly, activity reduced. Excuses pile up: work, too tired, blah blah blah. COVID hits, work ended earlier and earlier as that shitshow of a year dragged on, happy hour started progressively earlier as a result. Usually around 2pm. So the freshman 15 is rivaled by the COVID 30. My goal is to drop 30 in 90 days.

Weigh in as of last Sunday: 228.6
I'll post weights every week, so as to not demotivate me. I hope others do too!

Plan:
1. Dont eat like a shit head. My wife is vegetarian, and on a total plat based diet for reasons. She looks great! Probably better than when we got married!
2. No alcohol Mon-Thurs. This is a biggie. Probably 600+ excess calories a day will be vanquished. This is also helpful in building my bourbon collection. All bottles in 2020 seemed to develop leaks. Rapidly.
3. Work the fuck out everyday! Mostly cardio. Not a gym rat, and can't stand to not be outside, so, hiking predominantly. I plan to work up to my daily 3-5mile hike including armor. I need to lose several pounds first. Conditioning myself so I don't pull, tear, or generally fuck up some part of my middle age dad bod.

Workouts thus far.

Jan 1

Jan 2
No workout, hungover AF  

Jan 3

Jan 4

Jan 5 - added a bit more activity level to this one, which involved climbing up a higher hill.

Loadout is a IWB LCP2. Don't want to freak out the sheep. I'll do that when I start carrying the plates!

Anyways, hope some of my AZ HTF peeps join me! Here's to a more fit 2021, for, reasons....
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well ive already joined like a million other weight loss threads, what the fuck is one more!

I started on dec 2nd. Ive been trying for years since my last back surgery. I dont eat "unhealthy" i think mainly that i just eat too much.

Have gone to the gym with my brother a couple times, been doing almost nightly walks, eating more veggies and less of everything else, unfortunately barely seeing any losses. I need to do measurements and hopes that keeps me motivated.

Started on 12-2-20 at 312 pounds. Weigh in every monday (forgot yesterday, so did it today), today 306.6. definitely not losing it as fast as i want, but as long as i stop being so fucking fat, i'll be happy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well ive already joined like a million other weight loss threads, what the fuck is one more!

I started on dec 2nd. Ive been trying for years since my last back surgery. I dont eat "unhealthy" i think mainly that i just eat too much.

Have gone to the gym with my brother a couple times, been doing almost nightly walks, eating more veggies and less of everything else, unfortunately barely seeing any losses. I need to do measurements and hopes that keeps me motivated.

Started on 12-2-20 at 312 pounds. Weigh in every monday (forgot yesterday, so did it today), today 306.6. definitely not losing it as fast as i want, but as long as i stop being so fucking fat, i'll be happy.
View Quote

@dread_scott  Good to hear you are tackling this! Post up your workouts! For food tracking, I highly recommend you use an app. I like MyFitnessPal. It's amazing to see what crap you are shoveling into your piehole. It also has tons of data loaded into it - so for example, you can scan almost any barcode on the back of food, and it knows the composition of the food.

I would also encourage you to NOT pay attention to how many calories you have left to consume if you workout. There is tons of articles and stories about fitness trackers, etc, being wrong. Stick to a reasonable calorie amount per day, and then the workouts are gravy (well, the opposite of gravy, but you know what I mean) on top of that.

I'm only down 2 lbs from Jan 4th, so you are doing much better than I!

My challenge today is finding enough time in between work obligations, and the damn kids being online at home due to school shutdowns. China is Asshoe!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Fought the battle of the bulge my self , down from 358 to 245 headed back to 6-1 ,180lbs by May. Keto ,no booze and suffer that's what it takes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Managed to lose 30 pounds of gut and butt by doing nothing but cutting out processed foods.

Cut out all of that excess chemistry, and your body will function better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fought the battle of the bulge my self , down from 358 to 245 headed back to 6-1 ,180lbs by May. Keto ,no booze and suffer that's what it takes.
View Quote

@GONIF Way to go dude! The no booze is sucking, but, we'll persevere. Plus, more Bourbon for us once we get to the goal!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Managed to lose 30 pounds of gut and butt by doing nothing but cutting out processed foods.

Cut out all of that excess chemistry, and your body will function better.
View Quote

@yipykyah QFT dude. But damn, quarter pounder with bacon and cheese is yummy! That'll be a once a year reward instead of once a week!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to tracking macros for me since this work at home and a messed up Achilles have greatly reduced my activity level.

6’2” just weighed in at 216. I was at 185 last March so that’s what I’ll be shooting for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@GONIF Way to go dude! The no booze is sucking, but, we'll persevere. Plus, more Bourbon for us once we get to the goal!
View Quote

Not a bourbon drinker , strictly highland Single malt scotch ,the older the better .
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well holy carp. I go out for a hike, and patriots take the Capitol. What a sight!

Anyways, I'll step activity levels up in a day or two. I'm eyeballing my max and average heart rates. I'd like to see them plateau a bit first before I step it up a notch. Here is today's:
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back to tracking macros for me since this work at home and a messed up Achilles have greatly reduced my activity level.

6’2” just weighed in at 216. I was at 185 last March so that’s what I’ll be shooting for.
View Quote

@DualShooter

My wife does that too. I'm still loathe to try it. What app are you using? Got any tips?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@DualShooter

My wife does that too. I'm still loathe to try it. What app are you using? Got any tips?
View Quote

I use MyFitnessPal. I was going to a nutritionist last round who was adjusting my macros but after 6 months of it I completely get the scheme.

I did keto/low carb for about two years prior so the discipline of it wasn’t an issue. I am on a very high protein setup so I tend to pack in the protein early (protein drink breakfast, 8oz chicken lunch, more at dinner). Otherwise I find myself eating egg whites at 10pm to get it in.

Meal prep is a big help. Finding the foods that you enjoy and can fill in the gaps is almost a fun challenge after a while.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Great job on the walks/hikes. I’m anxiously awaiting dumping this walking boot and getting back at it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use MyFitnessPal. I was going to a nutritionist last round who was adjusting my macros but after 6 months of it I completely get the scheme.

I did keto/low carb for about two years prior so the discipline of it wasn’t an issue. I am on a very high protein setup so I tend to pack in the protein early (protein drink breakfast, 8oz chicken lunch, more at dinner). Otherwise I find myself eating egg whites at 10pm to get it in.

Meal prep is a big help. Finding the foods that you enjoy and can fill in the gaps is almost a fun challenge after a while.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Great job on the walks/hikes. I’m anxiously awaiting dumping this walking boot and getting back at it.
View Quote

@DualShooter
That is the app my wife uses and has been prodding me to use and track. She also wanted me to do a nutritionist who tracks that and does bloodwork weekly. I've decided, for now, to just be absolutely determined to have lots of cardio every day, rain or shine. Sustained average heart rates in the 120s-130s, for as long as I can take (or have time for with other obligations).

I will eventually relent and track food. ALthough, the wife has been monitoring my food intake and it's been very very good. I suspect I'm running a 1k calorie deficit, but need to measure to be sure.

No booze has sucked, but I recognize, necessary....

Why the walking boot? bad sprain?

I had to deal with 2 awful plantar fasciitis flare ups, I'm really crossing my fingers I can keep it at bay. The hope is that I lose weight fast enough, before it creeps back. I'm firmly convinced weight is the sole culprit for those problems.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Yesterday's hike

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Why the walking boot? bad sprain?

I had to deal with 2 awful plantar fasciitis flare ups, I'm really crossing my fingers I can keep it at bay. The hope is that I lose weight fast enough, before it creeps back. I'm firmly convinced weight is the sole culprit for those problems.
View Quote

I caught my heel on the back of a closing door corner and it caused some minor damage to the Achilles. I could’ve pushed the doc to remove the soft cast this week, but with the time it’s taking to heal I’d rather be safe. Only five more days in the soft cast, but who’s counting???

211.5 this morning. Gotta love how quickly the first bit comes off before you stall out.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Where are you and where are you hiking?

Quoted:

211.5 this morning. Gotta love how quickly the first bit comes off before you stall out.
View Quote

I wish that shit were true for me, it never comes off quick, no matter how big the deficit i eat at. Youd think it would with how much i weigh, fucking annoying!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I wish that shit were true for me, it never comes off quick, no matter how big the deficit i eat at. Youd think it would with how much i weigh, fucking annoying!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

@dread_scott
Up in the NW Valley, near Westwing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday’s hike:
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@dread_scott
Up in the NW Valley, near Westwing.
View Quote

Westwing as in that hike that you walk by the school to the mountain? Where we had one of the BB meets? If so, shit! Youre not far from me. No fucking way i can keep up with you, but if youd have me, id roll out to do some hiking!

That distance!
Haha
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Westwing as in that hike that you walk by the school to the mountain? Where we had one of the BB meets? If so, shit! Youre not far from me. No fucking way i can keep up with you, but if youd have me, id roll out to do some hiking!

That distance!
Haha
View Quote

Right? Number of the Beast hike!

PM me if you’d like to meet for a hike.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Saturday’s hike. Forgot to charge the damn watch, so it died. But the distance should have been in the mid fives...

Got to see some old friends yesterday, oh, and booze! Drank couple of bourbons and saw old friends and his new baby boy. Good day!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Today’s hike. Had one offended Karen snark about my carry piece. Apparently my shirt had ridden up a bit. Told Karen to shove it and mind her own business like a good girl should. Yesterday, I forgot to mention something. Most people, like 87% of them, say “Hi” as you pass on the trail around here. Almost no masks, except yesterday! This lady saw me coming from 50yds, proceeded to move 20 feet off the trail into the side of the hill, and put on her mask - frantically, turned her back to me and cowered. Jeebus, people are getting more and more conditioned to be meek, pathetic humans. Sad.

Also I ran up several of the switchbacks today - I really wanted to see my max heart rate. I peaked in the lower 170s. Felt good man,

Weigh in comes tonight, but first, beer!
Happy Sunday AZ HTF peeps.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Weighed in today. Not good and not bad, only changed by .2lbs from last week, but in the wrong direction, which sucks.

Also PM'd you about hiking.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I lost almost 50#s last year because of cancer...lol.

I am at 227 now. Been walking and jogging 3 miles every other day. yesterday went for a hike wearing my plates, 6 mags,warbelt and an ar. Felt good!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am at 227 now. Been walking and jogging 3 miles every other day. yesterday went for a hike wearing my plates, 6 mags,warbelt and an ar. Felt good!
View Quote

@BadPenny you are right where I am - My aim is down 30lbs from that.

I bet you got some Karens upset with your gear load out 0 good job!

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Forgot to post on Sunday : 221.6lbs
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cancer?! Cheater, that shouldnt count! Mwaha!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#27]
So i went out today and slowed down mnew007, while he tried his best to kill me...

Attachment Attached File

The end points should connect, forgot to track the beginning part...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey  @BadPenny
I didn’t address the cancer, I hope you kicked its’ ass.

I’m a 3 time melanoma survivor - just got my 3 yr all clear earlier this month from the doc. The benefits of being a white ass and not half-Mexican like @Dread_Scott
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah so far so good. I had hpv throat cancer in my right tonsil and lymph nodes. They took the tonsil and chemo/radiation for the lymph nodes. It sucked but I made it through. I haven't worked in a year though  and I'm starting to go stir crazy. I would like to get to everyday but don't want to over do it.

Also my walk jogs are not very fast lol takes me around 45 minutes as i walk the first 1.5 and try and jog as much as i can the other 1.5. The cool thing is I jog further everyday so i can see im making progress.

Where I hike there is no one so I don't have to worry about what anyone thinks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hey  @BadPenny
I didn’t address the cancer, I hope you kicked its’ ass.

I’m a 3 time melanoma survivor - just got my 3 yr all clear earlier this month from the doc. The benefits of being a white ass and not half-Mexican like @Dread_Scott
View Quote

Weak ass white people!

Glad you guys both kicked its ass (multiple times apparently!)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Still hiking daily, down 14 lbs today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Weighed in today. Not good and not bad, only changed by .2lbs from last week, but in the wrong direction, which sucks.

Also PM'd you about hiking.
View Quote

Forgot to weigh in yesterday.

Today after poop and breakfast, 303.6.

So better than last week a bit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#33]
@mnew007
@dread_scott

What apps are you guys using for these screen shots?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok. I'll finally post here.

I've been overweight for a long time. I finally made the decision last year to have gastric bypass. I had the surgery on 12/30 and it's been a hard time after with the limited diet but results are good so far. No exercise as I have an old surgery injury that's acting up right now...

12/30: 333.9
Today: 291.3
Total loss: 42.6 or ~12.75% of total body mass.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:39:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@mnew007
@dread_scott

What apps are you guys using for these screen shots?
View Quote

My screenshot is from strava, i believe 007's is the apple app.

Quoted:
Ok. I'll finally post here.

I've been overweight for a long time. I finally made the decision last year to have gastric bypass. I had the surgery on 12/30 and it's been a hard time after with the limited diet but results are good so far. No exercise as I have an old surgery injury that's acting up right now...

12/30: 333.9
Today: 291.3
Total loss: 42.6 or ~12.75% of total body mass.
View Quote

Congrats! Those are some big numbers, glad its working out!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Yes, the default apple health app.

Btw, I’m still hiking daily, about 5.5 miles a day. Just have been slacking on the screenshots. Weigh in tomorrow night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top