Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 7:44:32 PM EDT
As if my electric bill wasn't high enough already . http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/273976732-story
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Real shocking. They encourage and entice the masses with short lived benefit using less and/ or alternative energy. As expected, with less direct consumption of the energy they generate the income reduces. Then comes the rape train.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you read towards the end where the rate increase will help generate over $1M to help the FSA folks that are having trouble paying their bill?

Forced wealth redistribution, embrace the suck (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Banquets, box seats, lobbying...those things don't pay for themselves
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone's got to pay the CEO's $3 million dollar salary.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. The 3-hour peak period with SRP sounded bad until I heard you guys are getting a 5-hour peak period. Brutal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
APS' CEO makes around $1mil/month. I can totally understand why APS needs a rate hike, and to change our peak hours from 3p-8p. I get to sweat in my house while I put my kids to bed while that piece of shit gets $1mil/month.

No wonder that shithead needs 24 hour security. Who doesn't want to see his head roll?

Is there a way to get off this world? Between shit like this and snowflakes and queers having passive aggressive protests, I'm pretty much done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
APS' CEO makes around $1mil/month. I can totally understand why APS needs a rate hike, and to change our peak hours from 3p-8p. I get to sweat in my house while I put my kids to bed while that piece of shit gets $1mil/month.

No wonder that shithead needs 24 hour security. Who doesn't want to see his head roll?

Is there a way to get off this world? Between shit like this and snowflakes and queers having passive aggressive protests, I'm pretty much done.
View Quote
Heh.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lol. The 3-hour peak period with SRP sounded bad until I heard you guys are getting a 5-hour peak period. Brutal.
View Quote
I'm going from SRP in a condo to my house with APS. I'm terrified of what that bill will be. At least we're toward the end of the shitty hot timeframe.

That three hour time period amount of savings was so miniscule. I just made a mental note not to turn the whole house on, but it was probably a $20 difference at best.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll try to feel sorry for you folks while the solar panels are humming away.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just curious. What is the realistic difference for a 1500-2000sqft house? Percentage wise.. what difference are you seeing?

Buying the panels outright is expensive, and lenders aren't really excited about having them installed. Renting/leasing the panels is expensive as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to say Fuck cox cable too.

I'm buying a house, my ex is moving wherever.. I was able to sign up for new service online for $65/mo for internet and hbo go..but because I've been a customer for two years, you won't honor that because I'm not a new customer, so it's $131 instead of $65..

You have to be smoking crack.

My fucking ex gf, who didn't put her name and credit on the line for the last two years, gets to have that $65/mo rate.. But Fuck me for paying early for 24 months. Fuck cox cable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm going to say Fuck cox cable too.

I'm buying a house, my ex is moving wherever.. I was able to sign up for new service online for $65/mo for internet and hbo go..but because I've been a customer for two years, you won't honor that because I'm not a new customer, so it's $131 instead of $65..

You have to be smoking crack.

My fucking ex gf, who didn't put her name and credit on the line for the last two years, gets to have that $65/mo rate.. But Fuck me for paying early for 24 months. Fuck cox cable.
View Quote
$80 a month, lol

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Learning how to properly manage energy in my 2200 sqft house has been helpful. Super cooling for the win

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Learning how to properly manage energy in my 2200 sqft house has been helpful. Super cooling for the win

http://i.imgur.com/Sn23jGf.png
View Quote
So What's the secret?  I got a new AC a few months back and was told to find a temp I like and just leave it there 24/7 unless I am going to be gone for a couple days.  Apparently playing yoyo with the thermostat makes the AC work harder because it has to lower not just the air temperature in the house but the temperature of everything that is in the house (Newton's Law of Cooling at work).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
The higher bill is when I set it at a constant temp

The lower bill is from super cooling. You can read more about it from here link

On the 12-7 'on peak' plan

6am-12 : AC set to 70

12-7pm: AC turned off

7pm-6am AC set to 76

So I only use energy when it is 4 cents a kw vs 25 cents and my house never gets over 80 degrees when the AC is turned off.

I am not sure how the 'AC working harder' argument plays out when the AC is not working at all during the hottest part of the day. If it is going to run its ass off to maintain the temp at 3pm, I would rather it run the same amount at 25% the cost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
We have the NEST thermostat. Best money ever spent. Easy to program, easy to use, adjustable remotely, learns your use habits.

That said, we super cool:
7p-6a - 73deg
6a-12p - 68 deg
12p-7p - 85 deg (usually gets up to about 78-80, depending on the day)

No laundry, no oven, no big appliance use during 12p-7p, unless it's on a weekend or a holiday when it doesn't matter.

2200 sq ft house with a fireteam of kids running around, opening doors, turning on lights, etc and our electric bill never hits $300.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just curious. What is the realistic difference for a 1500-2000sqft house? Percentage wise.. what difference are you seeing?

Buying the panels outright is expensive, and lenders aren't really excited about having them installed. Renting/leasing the panels is expensive as well.
View Quote
I'm at work and can't recall any figures, but it is for certain decidedly cheaper per kwh and we don't have to deal with APS's crap. We got ours through Costco (Sun Run). Easy to deal with. About $19k for a 100% system with the batteries (the latter to be installed shortly).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm at work and can't recall any figures, but it is for certain decidedly cheaper per kwh and we don't have to deal with APS's crap. We got ours through Costco (Sun Run). Easy to deal with. About $19k for a 100% system with the batteries (the latter to be installed shortly).
View Quote
Yeah.. For $19k that's five years worth of $300 months ( worst case scenario). Still more expensive than APS.. And those panels/battery banks are going to need top be replaced in 10-15yrs

It will be good when solar tech gets cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah.. For $19k that's five years worth of $300 months ( worst case scenario). Still more expensive than APS.. And those panels/battery banks are going to need top be replaced in 10-15yrs

View Quote
What about grid tied with micro inverters?  Wouldn't that allow you to skip the expense of batteries (and the need to replace them in the future).
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What about grid tied with micro inverters?  Wouldn't that allow you to skip the expense of batteries (and the need to replace them in the future).
View Quote
You still assume the depreciation of the solar equipment. It would be different if that was the only option (in the woods), but APS/SRP still has us by the balls.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You still assume the depreciation of the solar equipment. It would be different if that was the only option (in the woods), but APS/SRP still has us by the balls.
View Quote
Sure, but without the need for batteries you decrease the equipment cost.  Plus, as far as I know, it's the batteries that go bad, not the panels themselves.  That gives you a longer lifespan to depreciate the cost over.

We get a lot of sun here and we get the most of it when our electricity bills our the highest.  Surely there is a way to make the numbers work out with how much the price of panels have drop over the last ten years.

Does SRP or APS have any credit/buy-back program for grid tied systems?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Everything I've been told is that the panels degrade 1-4% per year performance wise, depending on initial quality. That's why a lot of lenders won't finance places with big ass panel fixtures on the roof, because of the valuation hit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everything I've been told is that the panels degrade 1-4% per year performance wise, depending on initial quality. That's why a lot of lenders won't finance places with big ass panel fixtures on the roof, because of the valuation hit.
View Quote
That is not true of modern poly/mono crystalline silicon panels. Expect ~ 10% loss over 20 years, at most.

Grid tied setups can be very cost effective today IF there is a favorable agreement with the electric utility. The micro controllers are probably the best if you want a simple and cost effective grid tied system.

lit link
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm going from SRP in a condo to my house with APS. I'm terrified of what that bill will be. At least we're toward the end of the shitty hot timeframe.

That three hour time period amount of savings was so miniscule. I just made a mental note not to turn the whole house on, but it was probably a $20 difference at best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I save a shit load of money programming my thermostats to turn off the AC between 3-6pm. I think it really depends on how much space your cooling.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

APS changed its net metering tariff to be more similar to the current SRP tariff, which sucks balls. I would basically never be able to break even.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I save a shit load of money programming my thermostats to turn off the AC between 3-6pm. I think it really depends on how much space your cooling.
View Quote
I'm probably going to go with a Nest or a honeywell wifi controlled thermostat. I'm kind of torn between the two.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm probably going to go with a Nest or a honeywell wifi controlled thermostat. I'm kind of torn between the two.
View Quote
I really like my Nest. PLus you can add other things to the system easily, such as cameras.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#29]
The Nest is pretty awesome, especially when used with their Smoke/CO detectors. Wife burns lunch while i'm at work, Within seconds I have text message, phone call, app alert... Shuts off the A/C automatically when it detects smoke/CO to prevent spreading fire and smoke to other rooms, can be paired with my alarm system to dispatch emergency services automatically.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Nest is pretty awesome, especially when used with their Smoke/CO detectors. Wife burns lunch while i'm at work, Within seconds I have text message, phone call, app alert... Shuts off the A/C automatically when it detects smoke/CO to prevent spreading fire and smoke to other rooms, can be paired with my alarm system to dispatch emergency services automatically.
View Quote
Have you paired it with cameras yet?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have you paired it with cameras yet?
View Quote
I'm not a huge fan of cloud based offsite video storage, especially of the inside of my house. My camera system DVR is on site but remotely accessible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I considered solar panels, but even on a bad month my bill is still usually under $200.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I considered solar panels, but even on a bad month my bill is still usually under $200.
View Quote
We're paying just a bit less with the payment plan for the panels than we did during the summer months, so we'll say it breaks even when averaged yearly. The biggest draw was energy independence. Since we're on a well, amongst other things, that's pretty damn important. We're the well managers, so the neighbors chip in to help lower that even further.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

7pm-6am AC set to 76

So I only use energy when it is 4 cents a kw vs 25 cents and my house never gets over 80 degrees when the AC is turned off.

I am not sure how the 'AC working harder' argument plays out when the AC is not working at all during the hottest part of the day. If it is going to run its ass off to maintain the temp at 3pm, I would rather it run the same amount at 25% the cost.
View Quote
Might have to try supercooling...  3k sq ft.  thermostat set to constant 83 and our last bill was $563 for 2958 KWh.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Might have to try supercooling...  3k sq ft.  thermostat set to constant 83 and our last bill was $563 for 2958 KWh.
View Quote
I first heard about that on KTAR this weekend. I'll have to check it out. I still need to get my NEST ordered, I'm just recovering from hemorrhaging cash from moving.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7pm-6am AC set to 76

My kids leave doors open far to much for supercooling to be any help.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow. Those are some steep bills just for keeping your place at 83. You've got almost 1,200 square feet on us, but we constantly keep our place at 74 degrees on SRP's standard plan. Our biggest bill this summer was $263.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wow. Those are some steep bills just for keeping your place at 83. You've got almost 1,200 square feet on us, but we constantly keep our place at 74 degrees on SRP's standard plan. Our biggest bill this summer was $263.
View Quote
I work from home, the pool pump runs every day of the year, two story house.  However, Nov - April bills average $120 so it's AC that drains us in the summer.

May - $299
June - $472
July - $563

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm really dreading that first APS bill. My condo was about 1300sqft and the highest I ever paid was $180/mo, and that was a crazy 3 story floor plan. I don't need to cool this place all day long, but I'm also not going to sit in here and sweat all night, so I'll just have to tighten things up a bit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I have quit watching my cost about 10 years ago.  It makes no difference.  I have tried load controllers, Time of Day, new AC Units, etc.  and have after 30 years realized it doesn't make any difference.  You will get charged what ever $ they want.  So bend over, grab your ankles and be prepared to be ENTERED  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top