Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 12:10:27 AM EDT
My truckster died out last night, got a jump from a kind stranger and went over to Sears.

They said it was a bad battery, gave me a new one and I was on my way.  For a block; when the battery light came on.  
Took it back in today and they found it is an intermittent alternator failure, and quoted me 430$ to fix it.

That is going to hurt me in a bad way.  Also need to not have my truckster die out on me again.  (Last year it would not have been such a big deal for me to lose out on my truck for a few days, but with my full-time student status now I have both very little time and very little money)
Anyone know someone who can fix it up for me for a little less of a hurt and also not leave me on a busline?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What make , model and year is it? This will determine the tools needed.

Wish I had my stuff out of storage to help directly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
2004 Ford Escape.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]
V6?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
V6?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Rock auto has alternators for that vehicle for under $150.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
That Escape v6 is a severe pain in the ass alternator job. If Im not mistaken, you have to pull the pass. side CV axle assy., do some really fun contorting and its still a tight fit. Best to get a pro to do it- on the side or at the shop, but I wouldnt let a shadetree type guy touch that one.
Sorry, but I dont know anyone in the area.
ETA: I also seem to remember the alternators commonly failing on those due to an oil leak in the vicinity. Take care of anything leaking on the alternator or belt as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That Escape v6 is a severe pain in the ass alternator job. If Im not mistaken, you have to pull the pass. side CV axle assy., do some really fun contorting and its still a tight fit. Best to get a pro to do it- on the side or at the shop, but I wouldnt let a shadetree type guy touch that one.
ETA: I also seem to remember the alternators commonly failing on those due to an oil leak in the vicinity. Take care of anything leaking on the alternator or belt as well.
View Quote
I have the 2005 Escape, no leaks but should I be concerned? 2005 Hybrid XLT 4WD Ford Escape to be exact.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#8]
This is what Google gave me when I searched for what a truckster is:

or

Highly different from this:

So which leads me ask you TechGal26, are you showing your age ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I recommend Joel Anderson at A-4 Auto Repair, 7th Ave & Deer Valley. 623-582-2000
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the 2005 Escape, no leaks but should I be concerned? 2005 Hybrid XLT 4WD Ford Escape to be exact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Different engine. Yours should be a 4 cyl with like a silver engine cover- with a bunch of parallel ridges on it- right? If so, pull that cover off and check for a ground wire that goes from the firewall to the valve cover chaffing/being cut in half. Ive fixed several that were doing that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Different engine. Yours should be a 4 cyl with like a silver engine cover- with a bunch of parallel ridges on it- right? If so, pull that cover off and check for a ground wire that goes from the firewall to the valve cover chaffing/being cut in half. Ive fixed several that were doing that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take a pic tomorrow when I have better lighting.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
OP - where in North Phoenix are you located?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is what Google gave me when I searched for what a truckster is:

http://www.evilatom.com/gallery2/d/15126-4/pt2010_110.jpg

or

http://www.hobbytech.com/FeatureBikes/earl-truckster.jpg

Highly different from this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/2001-04_Ford_Escape.jpg

So which leads me ask you TechGal26, are you showing your age ?
View Quote

LULZ that you googled truckster.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:33:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP - where in North Phoenix are you located?
View Quote

51 and Greenwayish
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recommend Joel Anderson at A-4 Auto Repair, 7th Ave & Deer Valley. 623-582-2000
View Quote

Gave him a call today, he quoted me $461 on it.  Called a few other shops (AAA approved ones) and they all quoted me over 600$.  
The last one actually had me bring truckster in because as he said, Sears is stupid.    
He checked it and said it is in fact the alternator, and it is throwing volts but not amps.  
He quoted me the highest price though - said the alternator itself is over 300 and the labor will be just under 300.  (can't remember the exact numbers for each though)

*sigh*
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
That's crumby. Unfortunately, almost any repair is expensive anymore.

At least you're sure what the problem is.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's exactly the recommended way to do an 02 PT cruiser, I managed to wiggle it through the top but that shit was ridiculously difficult. Gotta love modern engineering. Almost like they intentionally set them up to be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:57:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure if this will help you out or if the number is still good but this guy Boa is an excellent mechanic that used to work for a shop I was at and did side work all the time.  He is a legal mexican immigrant so you may have to be patient with his english but he is a top notch mechanic that works for cheap.  I had him do a lot of work on my cars for major stuff back in the day.  

480 292 3627

If you are uncomfortable calling a stranger I can try to call him tomorrow but if you do call him just tell him the painter victor from when he worked at advanced auto body and chandler referred you to him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top