Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 7:32:15 PM EDT
Long Range Hunters and Shooters!

Are you interested in Long Range Hunting or Long Range Precision shooting? Looking for a place to practice long range shots with your hunting/long range gear but don’t have the interest, patience or barrel profile for an NRA style F-class match on a known-distance range?

With the support of the owners of Cowtown, AZ (http://azcowtown.com/) we are starting up a club which will give our members access to Cowtown Ranges in Peoria, just northwest of Phoenix!

This new club, Cowtown Long Range Shooters, http://cowtownlrs.com/, will be holding a free Grand Opening shoot on Saturday October 4, 2014 - 8AM and till 4PM! The Grand Opening is FREE and open to all safe shooters!
•Bring your favorite long range rifles! We’ll have multiple firing points each with numerous steel plate targets from 100 yds to over 1000 yards! (all rifles must be previously sighted in, leave rifles in vehicles until you have been directed to your assigned range and squadded to shoot)
•Shooting industry vendors & manufacturers displays!
•Long range shooting platform demonstrations!
•Membership information for this new club!
•A chance to meet other shooters with similar interests!

If you like the shooting facilities and decide to join, you can expect to participate in monthly shoot days with access to firing points overlooking steel targets from under 100 yards to a planned 2000+ yards. The club also will be running 2 or 3 big weekend-long shoots every year.

For more information on the Grand Opening or on joining the club, see our website at http://cowtownlrs.com/ and email us at [email protected]. We’re already set up to take membership applications online at: (Grand Opening rate): http://azcowtown.com/events/

If you plan to attend, send us an email at:  [email protected]

If you are a certified Range Safety Officer or want to become one, we need you in our club! Let us know! [email protected].

If you are interested in a vendor booth and having your company represented at this grand opening or other events at Cowtown, please contact Cowtown management directly at: [email protected]

Download this flyer here http://cowtownlrs.com/CTLRS-4oct-Flyer.pdf print a few copies and drop them off with your friends and at your favorite gun shop!

Hope to see many of you on the 4th!

CTLRS - Cowtown Long Range Shooters
Post questions here or email [email protected] .

Range Location:
10402 West Old Carefree Highway, Peoria, Arizona 85383
Map:
Take Carefree Hwy west from I-17, south 100yds on Lake Pleasant Blvd, then west on Old Carefree Hwy, past the airstrip and 2 canals till you hit the mountains at Cowtown.

This is a shooting range! Bring eye and ear protection for everyone in your party!  Under 18 must be accompanied by an adult, experienced adult & youth shooters welcome, event may not be enjoyable for very young children.

Don't want to mess around setting up paper targets? We have lots of steel like this:

That canyon has 8 or 10 steel targets out to 1000 yards

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I signed up for the new club a few days ago. Looking forward to checking it out!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:07:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I signed up for the new club a few days ago. Looking forward to checking it out!
View Quote

Me too!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I am interested but am a bit confused on the pricing.  I get the $100 1 time fee and $100 yearly membership, but do I have to also pay a $30 range fee each time i go?  What is the cost for a guest?  Is the long range part of the range open 7 days a week to member or only certain days?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am interested but am a bit confused on the pricing.  I get the $100 1 time fee and $100 yearly membership, but do I have to also pay a $30 range fee each time i go?  What is the cost for a guest?  Is the long range part of the range open 7 days a week to member or only certain days?
View Quote

+1

Exact same questions I had.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
OP going to be back to answer some questions/clear up concerns?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:17:50 AM EDT
[#7]
LR Shooters!

THANKS for all the comments! I posted the announcement on about 10 different forums and am getting a lot of comments!

Some background:

Cowtown Arizona, private property owned by Cowtown Management Group, has been there for decades and does a lot of cool photo shoots, movie sets and hosts lots and lots of high end contractor training for LE and DoD. They have also leased a tiny valley to a cowboy group for decades and some river bottom to a paintball operator. They were looking for someone to start a club to get long range rifle shooting going.

Some Long Range hunter guys I know started talking to CTMG about forming that club and CTLRS was born. I have helped run some ASRPA (http://asrpa.com/) events out there and served on the board of several clubs so that’s how I got involved.

4-Oct is the grand opening, from that we’ll gauge interest and set up a schedule, tentatively one full weekend day per month, preferably the same weekend every month, but that might expand to several full weekends every month and maybe some weekdays (harder to schedule due to commercial usage). Depends on usage. We need volunteer RO’s and shooters filling the range to justify scheduling additional firing points and shoot days!

We will have at least that one firing valley in the photo, where about 5 or 10 guys could lay down side by side and shoot, but there are 3 other similar firing points on the property and places to set up more. I picture guys shooting and spotting with a buddy till their barrels get hot, and walking back to the picnic area to cool down both shooter and barrel while others shoot a bit and doing it again till the ammo runs low.

Cowtown, the landlord, owns the dirt and the steel. We won’t have to go out and set up steel, we might have to cease fire and paint the steel once or twice a day but there won’t be public range style 15-minute shooting sessions followed by target time…  No personal steel, only Cowtown steel will be allowed. Just walk up, sign in, lay down and shoot!

We’re not planning competitions. This is NOT a known-distance NRA/Palma/F-class firing line, all 3 ranges in phoenix have 500 to 1000 yd matches nearly every week, check out http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/ if that interests you. Nor do we plan Tactical Long Range Precision shoots, PRGC already runs some of the best such shoots in the US.  http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/  The founders are long range HUNTERS, who want a place to work with their LR elk rifles. But depending on interest of the members the direction of the club may evolve.

As to the fees, the feedback is GREAT. It sounds divided between “I just joined online!” to “The numbers don’t add up” I’d strongly encourage all of you to come out to the 4-Oct event! See the facility, meet the management guys, express your opinions, volunteer to help run shoot days, etc. Like I said the direction of the club will evolve to best serve the shooters!

Post or email questions, See you all on the 4th!

Poole
CTLRS
http://cowtownlrs.com/

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I must be tired from after work but this response seems more coded then the first.  

4-Oct is the grand opening, from that we’ll gauge interest and set up a schedule, tentatively one full weekend day per month, preferably the same weekend every month, but that might expand to several full weekends every month and maybe some weekdays (harder to schedule due to commercial usage). Depends on usage. We need volunteer RO’s and shooters filling the range to justify scheduling additional firing points and shoot days!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So does this means that for $200 + $30 range fee, I only get to use the range once a month?  and thats if there is a lane open?  

We will have at least that one firing valley in the photo, where about 5 or 10 guys could lay down side by side and shoot, but there are 3 other similar firing points on the property and places to set up more. I picture guys shooting and spotting with a buddy till their barrels get hot, and walking back to the picnic area to cool down both shooter and barrel while others shoot a bit and doing it again till the ammo runs low.

Kind of a continuation from my first response.  SO does this mean there are as few at 15 and most 30 "lanes" open for this 1 day a month?

Cowtown, the landlord, owns the dirt and the steel. We won’t have to go out and set up steel, we might have to cease fire and paint the steel once or twice a day but there won’t be public range style 15-minute shooting sessions followed by target time…  No personal steel, only Cowtown steel will be allowed. Just walk up, sign in, lay down and shoot!

This isnt an issue and anyone that belongs to a range now does this after they are done shooting.  

As to the fees, the feedback is GREAT. It sounds divided between “I just joined online!” to “The numbers don’t add up” I’d strongly encourage all of you to come out to the 4-Oct event! See the facility, meet the management guys, express your opinions, volunteer to help run shoot days, etc. Like I said the direction of the club will evolve to best serve the shooters!

Of all the questions I had, this had to be the main one I was hoping to be answered and yet it was totally avoided.  I wont be able to make it to the Oct 4th date as I work but I hope someone else here can go and clear some things up.  I just have a hard time justifying the drive (2x as far as PR&G for myself), $200 (initial setup + membership) and $360 ($30 x 12 *once a month) =  $560+gas.  I truly do love the idea of this range and  want to shoot there but with out some better answers, I just dont see it.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I must be tired from after work but this response seems more coded then the first.  
So does this means that for $200 + $30 range fee, I only get to use the range once a month?  and thats if there is a lane open?  
Kind of a continuation from my first response.  SO does this mean there are as few at 15 and most 30 "lanes" open for this 1 day a month?
This isnt an issue and anyone that belongs to a range now does this after they are done shooting.  
Of all the questions I had, this had to be the main one I was hoping to be answered and yet it was totally avoided.  I wont be able to make it to the Oct 4th date as I work but I hope someone else here can go and clear some things up.  I just have a hard time justifying the drive (2x as far as PR&G for myself), $200 (initial setup + membership) and $360 ($30 x 12 *once a month) =  $560+gas.  I truly do love the idea of this range and  want to shoot there but with out some better answers, I just dont see it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As to the fees, the feedback is GREAT. It sounds divided between "I just joined online!” to "The numbers don’t add up” I’d strongly encourage all of you to come out to the 4-Oct event! See the facility, meet the management guys, express your opinions, volunteer to help run shoot days, etc. Like I said the direction of the club will evolve to best serve the shooters!

Nailed it..  Dont love the membership fee plus pay per use and only open one day a month.

I absolutely love the idea of the steel range but I'm not sure its worth the cost especially with limited access.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
anyone going to this on Saturday?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Going to guess it's banks are up one of the many blind canyons that run along the riverbed. I used to shoot in that area back in the early 1990's, before it got annexed by Peoria.
Loads of places where you could get a lot of great long range practice in, and left more than a few .303" MkVII out there.

I remember you used to be able to see some old movie sets to the west of the riverbed from one of the "Knight Rider" movies.

If I can, I'll try and come out just to see how much the area has changed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm 90% sure I will be out for the day.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
This notice just sent out:

Shooters!

To everyone who has inquired about Cowtown Long Range Shooters!

In about 11 hours our grand opening begins!

Enter Cowtown (map at http://cowtownlrs.com/ ) and after paintball turn right and head towards the "east range", find somewhere to park and head down to the covered picnic area at the end to sign in.

EVERYONE MUST SIGN IN READ THE SAFETY RULES AND SIGN THE WAIVER!

From there, right up the hill we have the east range platform looking out at lots of steel from 100 to 1000+ yards.

Once we get a range safety officer to open the gate, we'll also open up what we call platforms 2 and 3 on the "west range". Lots of steel visible from the two platforms, we have "don't shoot" regions roped off to keep a safety fan.

Limited parking up there, but limited shooting spots too, so it should work out.

Bring your Ear & Eye protection, (we'll have some if someone forgets), whatever water or food you need, but we'll have a cooler full of water. We will have NRA style Empty Chamber Indicators for your rifles if you don't have one, all rifles will be cased or ECI inserted except when shooting!

Bring your rifle(s), ammo, shooting mat, rangefinder and similar gear, all you get from us is dirt to lay on and steel to shoot at! (and lots of each!)

(Don't shoot the cactus, the burros or the yellow house!)

If any of you are a Range Safety Officer interested in doing that regularly for the club, let us know when you sign in!
We'll be ready before the 8AM start and stay into the afternoon as long as interest holds till 4PM.

Vendors, who have signed in with Cowtown management can set up in Bay 6 before 8.
See you all tomorrow!

CTLRS!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#14]
wasn't this place a paintball place? I remembering going as a kid

who knew it would become an "elite" shooting range
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
So no morw paintball there or are they doing both?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

So there's a house downrange?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It is a vacant (prop) house.

I was on the fence about heading out today and joining this club, but the prices and distance from my house scared me off. I really enjoyed shooting out there in Rizzo's class, but can't justify around $200 every time I go out there plus membership fees. I would rather do the precision rifle class every so often instead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was on the fence about heading out today and joining this club, but the prices and distance from my house scared me off. I really enjoyed shooting out there in Rizzo's class, but can't justify around $200 every time I go out there plus membership fees. I would rather do the precision rifle class every so often instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I went out today. There were about 40 - 50 people (my best guess) that came out to check the club out. There were a few vendors, a nightvision/thermal imaging company, POF, Indepence Training, TomCar and a bullpup AR company.

The general vibe was great. Everyone was excited about long range shooting. The Cowtown staff was on hand for questions and answers. One of the match directors had a demo rifle in 6.5x284 from Gunwerks Rifles. (Their rifle was a hammer and it should be for $8500 with the NF scope). Overall it was a good day.

I was out for 4 hours and shot at all 3 shooting stations. I had solo access to the 92 yard to 1107 yard steel for about 30 min after 12. The wind was generous and let me hit that 1100 yard steel repeatedly!

Match directors I talked to said they will work to have the range open at least one weekend per month. I don't know if they will have all shooting platforms open since they are far apart and that would theoretically require multiple range officers.

Cowtown looks like they are in the process of building a covered shooting platform on the east range, so that will be an excellent improvement for summer shooting.

I paid for my membership prior to today's open house. I am looking forward to having the ability to shoot at long distance on a regular basis without humping steel in the desert and hoping a quad doesn't roll over the hill.

I have included a photo of my rifle and the range because hitting steel at 1100 yard is fucking awesome.

" />
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was my thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.

There are still a few open spots for the Oct 17-19 class. *wink wink*
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I didn't have a hunt the following week I would have signed up. Bad timing this go round.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my thought.

Taking defensive handgun and Low/no light handgun class instead.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#23]
So where is the range report from this weekend?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top