Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2012 7:26:36 AM EDT
I just ordered my first gun safe. I picked up a American Security TF5924 with a few upgrades (electronic lock, paint and texture.)

I got a great deal on it from a buddy of mine who is a partner at a locksmith in Mesa.

I'm now looking to bolt it down in my house, but I have a Post Tension slab marked "Do not Drill." I know there ways to XRay or metal detect where the rebar is so I can still bolt the safe down, but I don't have too much experience with that. Any advice or thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't have to worry about it with mine, but you are correct that you have to get it x-rayed to make sure you're not drilling in a bad spot.  That's about all I know.  So don't get too set on where you want to put it just yet   Might call Jesse over at Safe City in Mesa - I'm sure he has to deal with it all the time, and might even have the equipment.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Where abouts around the house do you find the markings for a Post Tension slab?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where abouts around the house do you find the markings for a Post Tension slab?

1- I watched my house get built. I saw the Rebar get put in. I have a rough ide of the spacing, but don't really remember where it is. It covers the entire slab and it about 8-10 inches apart and about 4-5 inches from the top (estimate).

2- It's marked in my Garage.

I'm going to do some poking around this weekend on the outside to see if I can find any markings on the outside. I plan to position it along an outer wall.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can see the sides of the slab you might be able to see where the builder has patched the concrete where the cables were tensioned. You might be able to measure and grid out where the cables are.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you can see the sides of the slab you might be able to see where the builder has patched the concrete where the cables were tensioned. You might be able to measure and grid out where the cables are.

Yep, I'm hoping that's possible. That's got to be cheaper than the x-ray services. I thought I heard somewhere that was like 200-350
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I'd pay to have it x-rayed, marked, and drilled by someone who's insured.  Google "post tensioned slab failures" and check out some youtube videos as well.  It's a good way to fuck up a home in short order.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Personally I'd pay to have it x-rayed, marked, and drilled by someone who's insured.  Google "post tensioned slab failures" and check out some youtube videos as well.  It's a good way to fuck up a home in short order.

This,  I work in the construction industry we install post tensioning all the time.  I would get it GPRed.  If you drill one of those cables you will cause way more damage than it would have cost you for GPR.  The cable are not nessacary perfectly staight either, Just because you can see it at the end does not mean that is where it is at in the center.  Call any of the concrete testing labs and they will have a GPR unit.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll call safe city this weekend.

Can anyone else refer me to a contractor to get it GPR'd?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it a brand new home? I am also building a new home with post tension slab. I took lots of pics of where the rebar was placed. But, if your in a new subdivision with other homes with the same floor plan being built just go over and measure their rebar spacing. I don't know, just an idea.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#10]
On a side note...why are homes all built on post tensioned slabs here in AZ?  Seismic activity seems minimal here...
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't a metal detector be accurate enough?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
AZ uses PT slabs because our soils SUCK.
Here is a good, but boring, report on the hows and whys
http://www.vsl.net/Portals/0/vsl_techreports/PT_Slabs.pdf

Metal detectors work fine. Cables can move 12" in either direction in most applications, that is a 2' swing from end to end. You can also use a short anchor and not get near the cable...
I prefer the Titan HD from simpson
http://www.strongtie.com/products/anchorsystems/mechanical/titen-hd/index.html

YMMV, drill at own risk
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
My buddy is contracted with Cabela's, Bass Pro, and a few other shops to deliver and install safes.  He is also a Liberty Rep, and he will not do a post tension slab.  What he has recommended, if the space allows, is to pour a small slab about 6 inches thick, put the safe on the slab and bolt it to that.  Seal all the way around the slab to prevent water intrusion.  Not too many folks are going to bring a forklift to a burglary, which is what its gonna take to move safe and slab.  MIght not be the best solution for you, but it works.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Properly applied lag bolts through the back into studs will be very effective also.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Properly applied lag bolts through the back into studs will be very effective also.

I'll check to see if the safe has any holes in the back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is it a brand new home? I am also building a new home with post tension slab. I took lots of pics of where the rebar was placed. But, if your in a new subdivision with other homes with the same floor plan being built just go over and measure their rebar spacing. I don't know, just an idea.

And a poor one. The measurements would be somewhat close, but not close enough. Typically tract houses are built on a piece work pay basis. They tend to get X dollars per house, so the more that get done, the more $$$ in their pocket for the day. The measurements are close enough, but nowhere near exact.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On a side note...why are homes all built on post tensioned slabs here in AZ?  Seismic activity seems minimal here...

If the slab cracks it stays together.  Also, there's lot's of expansive soil here.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Update: Spoke with my builder. They're still building homes in my subdivision and I'm having them contact the building manager for my units and pull the blue prints.

I'm hoping to get the following into answered:

1- how far down is the rebar?

2- Can they show me where the rebar is placed on my home in particular by going outside?

3- Can they hook me up with a contractor to get a good deal on a radar job on the cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top