Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 4:40:20 PM EDT
The wifey and I planned a trip to Tucson for October 2011,
wanting to bring our tourist dollars to that area.

Any common tourist attractions that are dangerous?

Planning to mostly sight-see during daylight hours, like
the Botanical Gardens and Saguaro Nat'l Park and such.

I know there's a gunshow when we're going, but don't plan to attend.

Any inside info greatly appreciated...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't think of any that are dangerous, but the USAF museum at Davis-Monthan AFB is worth seeing. There is also a Titan missile silo/museum south of Tucson in Green Valley.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go see a sunset at Gates Pass, beat anorexia at Lindy's, get a Sonoran hot dog at BK's or Guero Canelo, check out the Pima Air and Space museum as well as the Titan Missile Museum. You could also drive to Tubac for some art-faggy stuff or San Xavier Del Bac if you wanna check out a cool mission. Going up to Mt. Lemmon wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Just a couple things to get you started.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Pima Air & Space museum is awesome!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can't think of any that are dangerous, but the USAF museum at Davis-Monthan AFB is worth seeing. There is also a Titan missile silo/museum south of Tucson in Green Valley.
This is a neat one.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Safari Club Intnl.'s HQ and their International Wildlife Museum is great if you're a hunter. If you go to the San Xavier Mission, have an Indian Taco. Old Tucson, in it's reincarnation since the fire, sucks big time. Kitt Peak Observatory near Sells, AZ west of Tucson is cool too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Stay out of South Tucson, especially at night.  I tell my friends to see San Xavier, Old Tucson, The Pima Air Museum, Eat at Casa Molina on Speedway and Craycroft, Pinnicle Peak on Tanque Verde, John Wayne and others ate in both places often.  Do not wear a tie in P P
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
collosal cave is pretty neat for caves.  they have horseback riding also.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
All the ideas posted, plus...

-If you have kiddos Trail Dust Town is fun.  Heck even if you don't have kids.  I like it in the evening in the fall.  In October they should be doing a Halloween version of their free live show.  It's actually pretty fun with live six gun (blanks) action and the one I saw had one heckuva a big bang/fireball at the end.  Pretty fun on a nice cool Oct evening.  Most everything is free so grabbing a meal or a beer in the steakhouse/saloon or buying some stuff from the shops is a nice way to support the place.  http://www.traildusttown.com

-If you like outdoors stuff then definitely head up to mount lemmon and hike some trails or head up to summerhaven and get some good pizza and maybe ride the chair lift.

-Colossal Cave Mountain park is also fun - cave is fun and you can do some horse rides and a few other things that are nice in October when the days are perfect - http://www.colossalcave.com/welcome.html

ETA: Totally forgot to mention the Desert Museum - very unique place and great way to spend a most of a day in Oct.  You could do this in the day and then the Gates Pass sunset (mentioned above) that day. http://www.desertmuseum.org/

Have fun and post a follow up and let us know what you liked/didn't like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
... Pima Air & Space Museum, and any cowboy & indians western movies lover should see Old Tucscon
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#10]
tombstone is not that far either, neither is ft bowie(where the apache stuff went down) and near ft bowie is chiricahua national monument, really neat!
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't forget to bring a pistol, CC or open carry your choice no license required.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]
World WIldlife Museum is definately worth seeing.  Large exhibits of real animals from around the world.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Hiking (or tram riding) in Sabino Canyon is a very popular activity. Awesome views when you're up top:

Or Pontatoc Canyon: less touristy, harder to find and more strenuous:
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hiking (or tram riding) in Sabino Canyon is a very popular activity. Awesome views when you're up top:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/40178_911668022912_10126091_50427930_6350132_n.jpg

Or Pontatoc Canyon: less touristy, harder to find and more strenuous:
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/183535_10100130356631162_10126091_53307142_4128203_n.jpg

Quote for Sabino Canyon tram ride.. its pretty neat!  Totally forgot about it in my original post.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
some of my favorites:
attractions-
hiking in sabino canyon
sonoran desert museum
old tucson
pima air and space
titan missile museum

food-
el charro (the original downtown)
lindy's
guero canelo
mi nidito

what are you guys going to do for lodging?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Wear maroon and gold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go see a sunset at Gates Pass, beat anorexia at Lindy's, get a Sonoran hot dog at BK's or Guero Canelo, check out the Pima Air and Space museum as well as the Titan Missile Museum. You could also drive to Tubac for some art-faggy stuff or San Xavier Del Bac if you wanna check out a cool mission. Going up to Mt. Lemmon wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Just a couple things to get you started.

Best Sonoran hot dogs I have found are at Chaco's...... Beats Guerro Canelo and BK hands down!  They're on Nogales Hwy, about a mile south of Hughes Access rd., a cart in the front yard of their house.  Red Aerostar(?) out front is their sign.

[b]Best!   Sonoran Dogs in Tucson!!  Get them with everything.... en todo.[b]

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wear maroon and gold.

Only if you want a WildCat to shoot you.......  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wear maroon and gold.

Salpointe's colors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
tombstone is not that far either, neither is ft bowie(where the apache stuff went down) and near ft bowie is chiricahua national monument, really neat!

if ya get out to the latter two, shot me an im the night before, i'll try and meet up with ya.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Nightfall is going on (Spook house at Old Tucson studios)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wear maroon and gold.

Salpointe's colors.

He's safe then, as long it doesn't say AS Who......  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top