Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2011 5:47:52 AM EDT
So, after a few less than stellar experiences riding on pavement, and because there's a million miles of trails and FS roads, I bought a mountain bike.  I went with this one: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantomcomp_ds_xi.htm

After putting it together, I decided to head to the Gateway Loop in McDowell Sonoran Preserve in Scottsdale.  I hiked it before and thought it was easy enough.  Wrong.  I don't have a clue what I'm doing.  I've been riding on the road for seven or so years, but off road is totally new to me.  Anybody want to help a new guy out and show me some easy spots to learn on, and give me some pointers?  It looks a lot simpler, but I got a big shot of hubris when I actually tried it.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Look Here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
What part of the valley are you in, and what time are you available to ride. You wouldn't be the first guy on this board I've given an introduction to MTB'ing to.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want to have some fun and a good ride to boot, only a few climbs a few technical spots but not many and a sick 5-6mi downhill cruise on smooth single track, I suggest the Pemberton loop to bluff trail in McDowell Mountain State Park.

I like doing the loop Clockwise then instead of completing the loop I cut south on the bluff trail.. its all downhill back to your car on that trail... SO MUCH FUN!!

Some other rides I like..

Hawes Loop(all 3 versions)- North Mesa off of power road, its more technical than the other two rides ive posted with more uphill, but still a blast.
Desert Classic at South mountain, this is another excellent trail to get your feet wet but very popular because you can haul on it.

For those nice weekends also hit up Sedona for some of the rides, its fun and gorgeous!

btw.. I am a noob on a mountain bike for all intensive purposes.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, Im a fat kid who snagged one of a buddy's ex's wifes bikes. That whole "never forget how to ride a bike" doesn't quite apply to me. I do want to buy a nice bike to ride though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I do, I posted in your GD thread.  I'm ready to roll out just about whenever.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have done Hawes trail a number of times. I'm not good enough to do it without a few breaks, and I never quite make it to the top of the giant hill, and have to walk my bike up the rest of the way. The view from the top is really incredible though, you can see the Salt River, and the red rocks are really cool.

I wouldn't mind biking with a group of novices like me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]

woops

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I poked around in the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve today.  Didn't really do too much hill climbing, but it was a lot of fun bombing around on the valley floor.  Had my first crash, so that's out of the way.

Going downhill, "Hey, this is fun."

"Hey, I'm going kinda fast."

"Oh, shi....."

Ate some creosote bush, and lost a few layers of skin on my left knee.  If I wasn't wearing gloves, my hands would have gotten it too.  

I also learned another important lesson.  Have a map, or pay attention where you're going.  I was just riding without much thought, and when I decided to head for the car, I didn't have a clue where I was.  I ended up pointing it towards the houses in the area and when I finally hit a paved road, I had to go 2.5 miles to get back where I started from.  And I came back from the opposite direction, so nothing was familiar trying to get back on the surface streets.  I had adequate water, so it wasn't too bad, but I could see how that kind of thing turns ugly.  Lesson learned.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to have some fun and a good ride to boot, only a few climbs a few technical spots but not many and a sick 5-6mi downhill cruise on smooth single track, I suggest the Pemberton loop to bluff trail in McDowell Mountain State Park.

I like doing the loop Clockwise then instead of completing the loop I cut south on the bluff trail.. its all downhill back to your car on that trail... SO MUCH FUN!!

Some other rides I like..

Hawes Loop(all 3 versions)- North Mesa off of power road, its more technical than the other two rides ive posted with more uphill, but still a blast.
Desert Classic at South mountain, this is another excellent trail to get your feet wet but very popular because you can haul on it.

For those nice weekends also hit up Sedona for some of the rides, its fun and gorgeous!

This, many years ago I used to ride the Pemberton on a regular basis, I liked to do the whole thing in a clockwise direction. The trail is a blast, a long steady haul uphill for a bit, maybe 5-6 miles, then it flattens out a bit, but the last 5-7 miles is what makes it worth it, all downhill. A friend and I have had some very good times out there, and one epic surprise thunderstorm and mud ride. Got real intimate with a big ass cactus once while racing and ended up with cactus needles on dam near every part of my body, including my ass.

The Desert Classic is a nice close ride but it can get busy and hot.

Get you one of those trail books, one of my favorites was that Fat Tire Tales & Trails book by Cosmic Ray, I don't know if they are up to date anymore but I bet there are still some good rides in there. The white tanks used to have some nice trails as well but they are probably all built up on.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']

Got real intimate with a big ass cactus once while racing and ended up with cactus needles on dam near every part of my body, including my ass.

Carry a comb,  use it to comb the needles and ass-orted prickly stuff out..... works great!  DON"T rty pulling a cholla ball out by hand......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top