Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2010 9:38:34 PM EDT
okay got permission from the ball in chain to spend around 700 (give or take)  to get my first AR
I prefer private sale becaause I have yet to have my name or info in the system in any way shape or form yet.  
Anyone who finds this for me wil be my hero.
update 1-just ordered the armalite upper on sale for 399
a opinions on a stagg complete lower?  Theres someone in AZ EE selling one but he hasn't got back to me yet.
mission accomplished.
upper will be here in january and got a locer from a local arfcomer a couple hours ago (thanks again)
Now all I gotta do is pick out a rear sight or some optics. I havent decided on which route to go. get some mags and some ammo and It's on.

FINAL UPDATE

I own my first AR.

now to start my second one

first range report.

100 yards standing shot cheap wolf ammo 2-3 seconds between shots.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
BP  Just some random AR I found on Backpage... not mine.

/shrug, hope it helps. Backpage can be a swamp of high prices and trash, but if you wade around long enough you may find a gem or two.

-AOS
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 2:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Over 8400 posts and this will be your first AR ?

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thats what happens when you have a wife
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what happens when you have a wife

yep lots of commie and hunting gus.  just no AR yet.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
You have now peaked the intrest of those who you wish to hide from . By saying you are not in the system in any shape or form ,and have multiple weapons and want to purchase more privately without big brother knowing  , You have sent up a red flag . You have also made  someone looking to sell a weapon question your motives .

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
VictorG  go to the new CDNN catalog and there will be some terrific deals.  The E&E has several in your price range.  We've coresponded often on a bunch of stuff and I understand where you are coming from.  If I hadn't bought them for my son's I doubt theyed have one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If you have posted here saying you have multiple weapons and want to purchase more and don't want your info in the system in any way shape or form . You have sent up a red flag ,and made some people question  what your up to . Some of those people are now going to question your motives /  intensions . And some of those people are able to investigate you without you ever knowing . Big Brother is watching .
Quoted:

okay got permission from the ball in chain to spend around 700 (give or take)  to get my first AR

I prefer private sale becaause I have yet to have my name or info in the system in any way shape or form yet.  

They can investigate all they want. My intentions are not to have my name on what I believe to be an unconstitutional piece of paper in a gun store which is pretty much a registry of guns.  Im not breaking any laws and am practicing my constitutional right.

so any ATF guys watching here.... well kiss my ass.  Maybe you should investigate criminals instead of wasting our tax money. And any DHS people watching.  Im sorry for giving you that beastwoman boss you now have but our state is better for it so you can kiss my ass too.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Those folks don't kiss any ASS ,that is not of a higer rank .
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
sorry Victor misunderstood.  Can't help on this one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
update 1-just ordered the armalite upper on sale for 399

a opinions on a stagg complete lower?  Theres someone in AZ EE selling one but he hasn't got back to me yet.

Link Posted: 12/18/2010 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot a buddy's STAG some time ago and thought the trigger sucked.  But I'm sure if you was to send the trigger components off to Bill Springfield and a check for $44 he will return a 4# crisp let-off trigger.  I believe they also use the commercial buffer tube (as opposed to the mil standard) with a "C" buffer spring.  Other than that, it should be good to go as a plinker/range rifle... If you get some slop between the upper and lower, you can always stick in one of those rubber buttons to take the rattle out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Stag and I am very happy with it.  It is a mil-spec buffer tube, not commercial.  I didn't really compare triggers between ARs, but mine sports a Geissele SSA trigger now anyways.  Fit and finish on my rifle is excellent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Ill probably be adding better parts such as triggers and whatnot as time goes by. just making sure i don't by anything that has an obvious flaw that everyone but me seems to know about. That happens to me pretty often when I buy things.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going to head out to Rio Salado after Christmas to zero my scope before I try to whack some coyotes.  You're welcome to join and put some rounds through it if you want to check it out before you buy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2010 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm going to head out to Rio Salado after Christmas to zero my scope before I try to whack some coyotes.  You're welcome to join and put some rounds through it if you want to check it out before you buy.

if i havent purchased one by then That sounds like a plan.  THanks

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have posted here saying you have multiple weapons and want to purchase more and don't want your info in the system in any way shape or form . You have sent up a red flag ,and made some people question  what your up to . Some of those people are now going to question your motives /  intensions . And some of those people are able to investigate you without you ever knowing . Big Brother is watching .
Quoted:

They can investigate all they want. My intentions are not to have my name on what I believe to be an unconstitutional piece of paper in a gun store which is pretty much a registry of guns.  Im not breaking any laws and am practicing my constitutional right.

so any ATF guys watching here.... well kiss my ass.  Maybe you should investigate criminals instead of wasting our tax money. And any DHS people watching.  Im sorry for giving you that beastwoman boss you now have but our state is better for it so you can kiss my ass too.  

Can you guys speak up a little? My tape recorder is having a hard time picking up your whispering....

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Generally speaking, all lowers are the same as long as they're in spec.  I hate buying complete lowers because they usually come with shit I don't want  Victor, you thought about just buying a stripped lower and building exactly what you want?  You can hardly go wrong getting a stripped lower, a DD parts kit and then the $100 MOE build kit from DSG.

Also, I would suggest getting one of the DD uppers from smartgunner that they are running right now - that's a hell of a deal.  Either complete less handguards for $325 or build your own with your choice of DD rail for $525-$550.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Generally speaking, all lowers are the same as long as they're in spec.  I hate buying complete lowers because they usually come with shit I don't want  Victor, you thought about just buying a stripped lower and building exactly what you want?  You can hardly go wrong getting a stripped lower, a DD parts kit and then the $100 MOE build kit from DSG.  

Also, I would suggest getting one of the DD uppers from smartgunner that they are running right now - that's a hell of a deal.  Either complete less handguards for $325 or build your own with your choice of DD rail for $525-$550.

I thought about it but I don't know jack about ARs so I wouldn't even know where to start.  I will probably change things areound and upgrade stuff as time goes by once i have an opperational rifle and figure out what i like/dislike about it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a couple options for lowers. Just waiting for someone to get back to me.  Might be driving to tuscon tonight to pick up if I get a pm or call. then I just need some mags and ammo and a rear sight once my upper shows up and Ill be ready to roll.

I wih I was a more patient person. The wait is killing me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#21]
mission accomplished.

upper will be here in january and got a lower from a local arfcomer a couple hours ago (thanks again)
Now all I gotta do is pick out a rear sight or some optics. I havent decided on which route to go. get some mags and some ammo and It's on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

mission accomplished.
upper will be here in january

Ouch, that's a long wait

MBUS works fine and is a lot cheaper than plopping Troys on it, but for rugged ones, I like the Troys best.  For optics, that's a whole other can of worms and can be pricey, but I'm sure you're aware of it .  For your first one, I'd think just a quality red dot would likely be best.  SWFA is running a good deal on the Aimpoint CompM2's right now for $399 with mount.  I'm actually in the process of debating a 1-4x for my next build.  I was going to just get an ACOG but am now thinking either Trijicon Accupoint or possibly the Burris XTR-14 or the upcoming SWFA 1-4x they will be releasing in the next few months.  It's a constant battle of what to buy  Welcome to the addiction!

Link Posted: 12/19/2010 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mission accomplished.

upper will be here in january

Ouch, that's a long wait

MBUS works fine and is a lot cheaper than plopping Troys on it, but for rugged ones, I like the Troys best.  For optics, that's a whole other can of worms and can be pricey, but I'm sure you're aware of it .  For your first one, I'd think just a quality red dot would likely be best.  SWFA is running a good deal on the Aimpoint CompM2's right now for $399 with mount.  I'm actually in the process of debating a 1-4x for my next build.  I was going to just get an ACOG but am now thinking either Trijicon Accupoint or possibly the Burris XTR-14 or the upcoming SWFA 1-4x they will be releasing in the next few months.  It's a constant battle of what to buy  Welcome to the addiction!

hehe i neglected to infor, the wife of all the other expensive crap Ill be buying in small doses.

Link Posted: 12/20/2010 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

hehe i neglected to infor, the wife of all the other expensive crap Ill be buying in small doses.

When I was still married years ago, I quickly learned the best part about AR and Glock stuff is that it mostly all looks the same to women (at least the ones that are uninterested in it).  Once you have 2-3 AR's, anything you buy you can claim you already had  I used to go to the gun show, buy a bunch of crap, come back home and immediately throw all my purchases in the safe, and she never had any idea This works with ammo multiplication as well.  Just make sure you own enough ammo cans to make it confusing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You have now peaked the intrest of those who you wish to hide from . By saying you are not in the system in any shape or form ,and have multiple weapons and want to purchase more privately without big brother knowing  , You have sent up a red flag . You have also made  someone looking to sell a weapon question your motives .

There is nothing remotely wrong with preferring legal purchases that don't involve FFLs and there are many very legitimate reasons for having such a preference.
Link Posted: 12/20/2010 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing remotely wrong with preferring legal purchases that don't involve FFLs and there are many very legitimate reasons for having such a preference.

Agree, and Arizona agrees as well.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1098p.pdf

http://www.kpho.com/news/23109469/detail.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
final update

first AR done.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#28]
NICE, congrats!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I want to build one bad, the .mil wore me out on them so I traded my only AR for an AK and a shit ton of rounds but I took my buddys AR out to the deser recently and went nuts and now I've got the AR bug again, my wife loves AR's too. I'm either going to buy one or build one soon, my tax return sucked this year I was expecting more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice my build is almost done we should all get together and shoot soon
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Congrats on finishing #1.  #2 will soon follow, and before you know it you'll be in double digits
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I own my first AR.

very nice, now make sure you pick up a 5rd mag for legal az hunting... and get out there n start droppin yotes, rizzos count is WAY above any of ours...  
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Good Job VictorG
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#34]
range report in OP
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Looks nice! I just finished building my first, too!

Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#36]
its always great when the "war department"  agrees to armament funding!!!!! awsome Vic. let go shoot some .223/5.56 !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
range report in OP

Wolf ammo standing from 100 yards?

Damn good shooting for a noob!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

range report in OP

Im only a nweb at the AR. shooting that thing after years of AK and sks practice is like a wet dream.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
range report in OP

Im only a nweb at the AR. shooting that thing after years of AK and sks practice is like a wet dream.

1st AR still makes you the noob, but you shoot far better off hand than I can

If you want to go rabbit hunting with that new toy you need to drop Rizzo an IM, he loves them wabbits
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

range report in OP

If you want to go rabbit hunting with that new toy you need to drop Rizzo an IM, he loves them wabbits
is there anything left of a rabbit hit at that velocity?

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
range report in OP

is there anything left of a rabbit hit at that velocity?

If you use FMJ and hit'em just right you can skin and gut'em all in one shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top