Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 4:02:12 PM EDT
I had a terrible day dove hunting.  Close to 8 hours in the field and only bagged 7 birds.  And it wasn't my shooting.  I only missed 1 bird, and to make up for it, bagged 2 with one shot.  

Anyway I was getting REALLY frustrated.  Came across a vulture roost.  There was 12-15 vultures that all took off out of a tree as I came out of a wash.  Man was I tempted to knock some down.  But, I didnt know the regs on that and it wasn't worth finding out the hard way.  I checked the AZG&F website, but couldn't find anything that really even addresses vultures.  Are they a non-game bird and therefore OK to whack? Or are they some kind of protected species?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They are a federally protected species.
See here
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#2]
AZFG classifies them as a "Raptor" which gives them protection under the endangered wildlife program.  I saw about 30 of them as I was driving to Black Canyon for breakfast this morning...

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/nongameandendangeredwildlifeprogram/Raptors/RaptorSpeciesAccounts.shtml
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope blasting crows is OK. They make a really funny thud when they hit the ground. (not that I would know of course)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AZFG classifies them as a "Raptor" which gives them protection under the endangered wildlife program.  I saw about 30 of them as I was driving to Black Canyon for breakfast this morning...

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/nongameandendangeredwildlifeprogram/Raptors/RaptorSpeciesAccounts.shtml

Glad I didn't shoot one then.  

Sometimes their website is impossible to navigate.  I searched for Turkey Vulture, and never noticed that page.  I did see "raptor species" come up, but since I know a Turkey Vulture isn't a raptor, I didn't even think to click on that link.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope blasting crows is OK. They make a really funny thud when they hit the ground. (not that I would know of course)

IIRC, Crows are A-OK, but Ravens are a no-no.

As one ARFcommer I know would say, the only real way to tell the difference is to shoot it and look at it up close.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As one ARFcommer I know would say, the only real way to tell the difference is to shoot it and look at it up close.

Taste tests don't work either; they both taste like chicken.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taste tests don't work either; they both taste like chicken.

See, now you're giving too many hints.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What horrible person would just blast innocent animals?

And BTW, Crows do have a season, though Ravens are always a no-no, as ragedracer said.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I only shoot the guilty ones.

What's the difference between a raven and a crow?

The dead ones are crows.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
my grandfather absolutely did NOT shoot one of those way out in the desert when i was about 5 so i could get a closer look at it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
A turkey vulture is a BIG bird. You can see one up close if you happen to find one that died of lead poisoning.

Copper-jacketed lead poisoning in wildlife is a weird phenom - I seem to find a lot of animals that just drop dead from it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#12]

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A turkey vulture is a BIG bird. You can see one up close if you happen to find one that died of lead poisoning.

Copper-jacketed lead poisoning in wildlife is a weird phenom - I seem to find a lot of animals that just drop dead from it.

I was amazed how big they are.  I've always seen them flying and though they were big, but never been that close to them.  I was right under them before they noticed me and took off.  Wingspan must have been 5 or 6 feet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And BTW, Crows do have a season, though Ravens are always a no-no, as ragedracer said.

Starlings are pests and you don't even need a license for pigeons.

Not sure if serious. Don't think so...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to calibrate your sarcasm detector.  LOL

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to calibrate your sarcasm detector.  LOL

I was in the early stages of becoming intoxicated

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#17]
God told me to be nice to animals.

Maybe next year.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:08 AM EDT
[#18]
It astounding that ravens  are protected.  Their numbers have increased dramatically since towns and cities have developed in the west.  Some scientists think that the primary reason that desert tortoises have declined is because the raven also eats  tortoise eggs, and access to garbage has increased raven numbers.

Growing up in Yavapai County there was a rumor, that I heard from someone whose name I can't remember, that shooting ravens in flight with a .22 rifle is a lot of fun.  Be aware of where your bullet will land.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had a terrible day dove hunting.  Close to 8 hours in the field and only bagged 7 birds.  And it wasn't my shooting.  I only missed 1 bird, and to make up for it, bagged 2 with one shot.  

Anyway I was getting REALLY frustrated.  Came across a vulture roost.  There was 12-15 vultures that all took off out of a tree as I came out of a wash.  Man was I tempted to knock some down.  But, I didnt know the regs on that and it wasn't worth finding out the hard way.  I checked the AZG&F website, but couldn't find anything that really even addresses vultures.  Are they a non-game bird and therefore OK to whack? Or are they some kind of protected species?

They weren't eating a carcass or anything, just roosting?
I was driving down a wash once and came across a large group of vultures eating on a small whitetail buck that was killed by a lion the night before.
Got out and dragged the carcass out of the wash so no one else would notice it
I looked around a little too and sure enough about 30 yards away the gut pile was buried under a bunch of brush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top