Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 11:03:40 AM EDT
I have a big problem with weeds .I pull them and spray and they come right back fast . I have rock on the front and can not keep it weed free. I know spraying diesel woud do it but don't want to go that way . what is the best stuff and where can I buy it cheapest ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Dupont Hy-Var is pretty good. Its as sterilant not weed killer. Spray and kill the weeds off first and than spray the sterilizer. Find a fertilizer type store and they will generally have it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I use non concentrated Round Up from Walmart which sells for around $10 per gallon.  It kills pretty fast and keeps them away for around 4-6 months.  I've tried using the concentrated version but it doesn't work as well even when I mix a higher concentration than recommended.  The only negative is it leaves a white residue which is evidence I use the stuff and my wife doesn't like me using it.  She'd rather I get on my hands and knees and pull weeds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing seems to kill them out here at Luke... Tried lots of things and nothing seems to work. Even pulling them seems to make them come back twice as bad over time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
... for a nominal and fair fee, I hire that task out

Google "Trickle-down economics"
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you'll use a pre-emergent according to directions, the vast majority of weeds will be a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I tyred that,most of these so called land scapers are flakes . If you want something done right and on time ,you gotta do it yourself .
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dupont Hy-Var is pretty good. Its as sterilant not weed killer. Spray and kill the weeds off first and than spray the sterilizer. Find a fertilizer type store and they will generally have it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
where can I buy it cheap on the west side (Bell and I-17 area)
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a propane weed torch from Home Depot ($50), worth every penny. I only wish I had more weeds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Rock Salt. Don't ever plan on growing anything again there though. It's 2 bucks a bag, throw it down, and water it in, or let the rain do it, Kills the soil.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rock Salt. Don't ever plan on growing anything again there though. It's 2 bucks a bag, throw it down, and water it in, or let the rain do it, Kills the soil.

WIN.

It's pretty much a scorched earth campaign, but very effective. Keep it away from anything you want to live. I also Flush rock salt down the toilet from time to time to keep roots from clogging my sewer line.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I also Flush rock salt down the toilet from time to time to keep roots from clogging my sewer line.

I wonder what would happen if you put a salt block in your tank instead.  Every flush would be saltwater.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Rock salt does work, but has ramifications that people should be aware of. Depending on how much you put down and the currentl pH level of your soil, you could damage the soil for decades. Make sure you don't want to grow anything there again for a long, long time. Including trees.

A better idea is something called "Soil Solarization". Essentially you bake seeded and bulbed weeds to death. It's also cheap! Cover your yard with 3~6mm plastic sheeting for four to six weeks. It'll increase the soil temperature to well over 150-degrees in the AZ sun, killing everything that is hiding way down past where all the retail and commercial chemicals reach.

I had something growing in my yard (I bought a forclosed home) that was unidentifiable to the people at every garden center I brought samples to, it put bulbs 4~15-inches below the surface and would die when sprayed with any total vegetation killer/pre-emergant/weed torching/roto-tilling/gasoline... you name it I tried everything... but would come back with every rainfall, seemingly bigger and faster than before. I called them ZOMBIE WEEDS!

Then I baked the yard last spring (spring 2009) and just let the yard be for the rest of the year. Nothing came back. Scorched earth. Now I've started transplanting zoysia grass, watering like new grass needs. I'll have a nice low-water, low maintenence yard by next summer. The weeds that have popped up are your normal run-of-the-mill weeds we all get here in AZ after a rainfall, and are easily killed with a standard lawn-safe weed killer. The zombie weeds: gone.

Try it. Large rolls of 10-mil plastic sheeting is cheaper than a gallon of vegetation killer. Summer is running out and you need the heat from the sun. Do it this weekend and pull it up in November.

Google topic to research: soil solarization

Also here: http://www.gardenguides.com/834-soil-solarization-weed-control-garden-pest-tip.html

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I tyred that,most of these so called land scapers are flakes . If you want something done right and on time ,you gotta do it yourself .

Quoted:

... some, not all. I have a guy that does my yard and sprinkler
maintenance. A family man, hard worker, reliable and fair-priced

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had something growing in my yard (I bought a forclosed home) that was unidentifiable to the people at every garden center I brought samples to, it put bulbs 4~15-inches below the surface and would die when sprayed with any total vegetation killer/pre-emergant/weed torching/roto-tilling/gasoline... you name it I tried everything... but would come back with every rainfall, seemingly bigger and faster than before. I called them ZOMBIE WEEDS!

Did it ever grow enough to have a few leaves and a pink/purple flower?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did it ever grow enough to have a few leaves and a pink/purple flower?

Triffids?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I need a good weed and feed. I get weeds in the grass something awful.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks ,I'm doing a combo of the salt on the rock area ,and the rest get sprayed  weed killer .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top