Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 3:01:24 PM EDT
City code 13-41 deals with firearm discharge, but I cannot find anything regarding airsoft/bb gun use in one's backyard with a safe backstop/trap/ricochet protector.

searching the city codes didn't help either

Any knowledge from youse guys
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Arizona Criminal Code

Criminal Code 13-105.  
Firearm Definition
19. "Firearm" means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of expanding gases, except that it does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

Criminal Code 13-3101.  
Firearm Definition
4. "Firearm" means any loaded or unloaded handgun, pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun or other weapon that will expel, is designed to expel or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive. Firearm does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

13-3107. Unlawful discharge of firearms; exceptions; classification; definitions

A. A person who with criminal negligence discharges a firearm within or into the limits of any municipality is guilty of a class 6 felony.

B. Notwithstanding the fact that the offense involves the discharge of a deadly weapon, unless a dangerous offense is alleged and proven pursuant to section 13-704, subsection L, section 13-604 applies to this offense.

C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:

1. As allowed pursuant to chapter 4 of this title.

2. On a properly supervised range.

3. In an area recommended as a hunting area by the Arizona game and fish department, approved and posted as required by the chief of police, but any such area may be closed when deemed unsafe by the chief of police or the director of the Arizona game and fish department.

4. For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service.

5. By special permit of the chief of police of the municipality.

6. As required by an animal control officer in the performance of duties as specified in section 9-499.04.

7. Using blanks.

8. More than one mile from any occupied structure as defined in section 13-3101.

9. In self-defense or defense of another person against an animal attack if a reasonable person would believe that deadly physical force against the animal is immediately necessary and reasonable under the circumstances to protect oneself or the other person.

D. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Municipality" means any city or town and includes any property that is fully enclosed within the city or town.

2. "Properly supervised range" means a range that is any of the following:

(a) Operated by a club affiliated with the national rifle association of America, the amateur trapshooting association, the national skeet association or any other nationally recognized shooting organization, or by any public or private school.

(b) Approved by any agency of the federal government, this state or a county or city within which the range is located.

(c) Operated with adult supervision for shooting air or carbon dioxide gas operated guns, or for shooting in underground ranges on private or public property.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#2]
So I take it my backyard is an appropriate range  since I am an adult and using my own private properly? Thank you, btw
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
(many years ago, so not 100% sure) I read in the city of Peoria ordinance, if shooting in city limits a BB-Gun carries the same violation as a firearm. Might dbl check, shame to get a firearms violation, for a BB-Gun. That is when I stopped shooting Rabbits in my front yard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn it, you'd think they'd have fixed 13-105... they probably missed it

They don't make any real noise, so you're not going to draw any trouble unless some stupid sheeple sees you. And it'll have to be d-bag LEO for you to get in trouble.

A box or just 2 layers of cardboard against the backstop will be more then enough for airsoft if you're just plinking. Probably want a stack of layers if you're shooting an AEG. It's really so you don't get them all over your yard, they hardly hurt anything before hitting a brick wall.
Should be the same unless you have a strong air rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
wtf?  where is the fire in a bbgun?

That's lame if BB guns are banned. I shoot in m back yard all the time.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Nonono, it IS legal! Just had to keep reading.
C. This section does not apply if the firearm is discharged:
2. On a properly supervised range.
––––––
2. "Properly supervised range" means a range that is any of the following:
(c) Operated with adult supervision for shooting air or carbon dioxide gas operated guns, or for shooting in underground ranges on private or public property.
There just has to be a grownup around  

1. "Deadly weapon" means anything that is designed for lethal use. The term includes a firearm.
Different line of thought. Is it a deadly weapon because it might be considered a firearm. OR is it not a firearm because it's not made for 'lethal use'?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to live in peoria and shot my airsoft guns in my backyard all the time.

Actually, it was a quieter way to "scare" off all the pidgeons that would always hang around my airconditioner than my pellet gun.

You should be OK as long as you aren't running around the front yard waiving around your airsoft guns.

If you do have an altercation with an officer, they should understand if you are "practicing" with your airsoft weapon on your own property.

my $0.02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top