Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Ranges (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Whitefish Pistol and Rifle club. This range has a covered bay at 300 with targets at 100,200 and 300.
You can move back to the seven hundred yard bay and shoot 400,500,600 and 700.
There is also a long range covered bay at 1000. This is an excellent range for practicing long range work or looking at loads. It has excellent protection from the wind with 150' windrow trees on either side and has been host to at least on world record.

I agree with the previous poster ranges do suck and you should move on to FS or BLM after you have your rangework done.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Whitefish Pistol and Rifle club. This range has a covered bay at 300 with targets at 100,200 and 300.
You can move back to the seven hundred yard bay and shoot 400,500,600 and 700.
There is also a long range covered bay at 1000. This is an excellent range for practicing long range work or looking at loads. It has excellent protection from the wind with 150' windrow trees on either side and has been host to at least on world record.

I agree with the previous poster ranges do suck and you should move on to FS or BLM after you have your rangework done.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
anyone near 85546 should check out the Safford range.  we have steel gongs out to 760 meters, a pistol/rimfire range, trap/skeet, and LE range. all have covered shooting tables and small bleachers for spectators.  some kind of shoot nearly every weekend.  facilities w/ running water.  we are currently working on automated targets for the LE only range.  we have a yearly "Shootout in the Desert"  that is a LE only invitational competition shoot.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Can anyone give there criteria for finding a nice quit / safe place in the desert?  

Im checking out the BLM website for the Sonoran Desert National Monument and I cant find anything that gives me a yes/no -or- where to go in the area. I live in 85225 and this looks like my closest option. Would a call / visit to the BLM field office give me anything?

Id like a verifiable location. I get the feeling that the authority's / private land owner are not going to be happy with "the internet told me it was OK to shoot here."
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:11:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jpeteK30] [#5]
shooting on private land is a bad idea, unless you have permission from the owner.  any public (state, federal, county) land is open to shooting/hunting unless posted otherwise.  just remember--you must  be at least 1/4 mile away from an occupied or possibly occupied structure.  this structure can be either permanent or temporary (RV's, tents).  i prefer to be much farther than that, probably at least 1 mile away.  also, shooting from or across an established roadway is prohibited.

most national monuments prohibit the carrying of firearms within thier boundaries.

if you still have questions, i would contact BLM or your local county Police Dept.--they have lots of info

john
Link Posted: 3/21/2007 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Originally Posted By TREETOP:
<center><table width=85% border=0><tr><td width=100% class=textBody><hr height=1px color=black noshade>Originally Posted By Rabid_Coyote:
www.arizonarifleshooting.com

South Mountain Range, AKA Phoenix Rod & Gun Club is at the terminus of 7th Ave at the mountain.  About 8 different ranges: 200/300/600 CMP rifle, steel silouettes, practical range, 10/25/50/100 yd public range, NRA pistol course range, rimfire, some skeet, some archery, indoor tactical, etc.

$60 per year gets you a gate combo and unlimited 7 day a week access.
<hr height=1px color=black noshade>

www.phoenixrodandgun.org

I was there today for the first time to meet up with another member, and man was I impressed!
No full auto, no .50bmg, and I assume no tannerite, but the place is set up great and there's plenty of room to spread out and breathe. The cost for a year's membership($75/individual/yr, $85/family/year) is ridiculously low compared to what the range is set up for. I'm planning to join soon, and I'd encourage others to check it out too..

I was going to check this place out and get a membership, until I read on their website that they do not allow carbines on their range.

Why such a nonsense rule?
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I too was planning on joining and doing some events there but wasnt aware of the no carbine rule until I read this. So I emailed the chief range saftey officer and asked why no carbines.

"If your the legal owner of an AR carbine, fine.  We have had some problems with folks who buy a standard AR, then get a barrel job done that is not up to ATF specks.  All that we ask is that you have the paper work in case an ATF agent just happens to pop in and does a spot check.  Good question, thanks!"

This was the answer given by Jack Walker so it seems like they are allowed after all.

Tango
Link Posted: 4/25/2007 11:40:33 AM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Originally Posted By drolic:
Can anyone give there criteria for finding a nice quit / safe place in the desert?  

Im checking out the BLM website for the Sonoran Desert National Monument and I cant find anything that gives me a yes/no -or- where to go in the area. I live in 85225 and this looks like my closest option. Would a call / visit to the BLM field office give me anything?

Id like a verifiable location. I get the feeling that the authority's / private land owner are not going to be happy with "the internet told me it was OK to shoot here."

I'm in 85224 and I am interested in the same thing - somewhere to go out to the desert and have a close safe legal good time. hank
dvs
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The Marksman Pistol Institute isn't a bad range. It sure beats shooting outside when it's 112 degrees in the summer!
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 9:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cat-mechanic] [#10]
Oops
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised, no one mentioned the Casa Grande Trap & Skeet range, Red Mountain Trap, Skeet & Sporting clays.  

Surprise Sportsmans gun club is now closed, please thank (not) the flood district/CAP, Del Web and Sun City residents for having this range closed as they were only on that land for the last 50 years with no problems, Also the NRA did a study out there and determined the range was unsafe which also did not help their cause. I heard that they were looking in Buckeye for land to open up on, haven't heard much of anything about it since last August.

I second the desert, I can make longer range shots than only 200 yards and make my groups count. Normally we go out and stay from 7am-7pm
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to clarify for anyone reading this about the Phonenix Rod & Gun Club.  The only restriction on AR type firearms is that they be legal, and no full auto fire.  If you have a legal SBR, or a legal can, come on down.  If you have a full auto AR or M-16 just set it to semi and you are good to go.

Drew

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 8:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Do most of these ranges sell ammo and targets?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If you just want to shoot and don't require an organized range, there's always Dosie Pit Rd. off of Iron Springs headed out of Prescott.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 12:57:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: luvpilot] [#15]
"somewhere to go out to the desert and have a close safe legal good time. "

Same here..any spots south or southeast of Queen Creek? Anywhere between QC and Florence? We have been going to Four Peaks..it's nice..but's a long drive
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone in the Tucson area know of a good safe legal area to shoot out in the Desert?

I'm looking for atleast a mile away from people that also has some form of safe back stop....50 BMG. Anything that I don't need a 4X4 to access would be a plus.

Thanks,
Ray
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I doubt I need to tell anyone here, but just in case, if you go into MY desert (I was born here) clean up your fucking mess.  

I cant stand spending an extra hour or so cleaning up some assholes shot up milk jugs, ammo boxes and plastic inserts, your fucking cig butts, soda cans, McDicks wrappers and shit.  

And quit shooting at the fucking cacti you shitsacks!

Again, if it dont apply to you, dont take offense, but Im willing to bet plenty of you guys and gals have come across a similar mess and felt the same!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody have any advice for areas around Williams? Trying not to go all the way back over to Flagstaff on an upcoming camping trip.

BTW, I've been a longtime member of the PRGC range at South Mountain in Phoenix. It is a wonderful range that we had better enjoy while it's still there in the city. The staff and admin are at an all-time best in the past 20 years, so come on down and make the most of it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Orion67:
I doubt I need to tell anyone here, but just in case, if you go into MY desert (I was born here) clean up your fucking mess.  

I cant stand spending an extra hour or so cleaning up some assholes shot up milk jugs, ammo boxes and plastic inserts, your fucking cig butts, soda cans, McDicks wrappers and shit.  

Again, if it dont apply to you, dont take offense, but Im willing to bet plenty of you guys and gals have come across a similar mess and felt the same!  

Well said.  Pisses me off as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By 50calRay:
Anyone in the Tucson area know of a good safe legal area to shoot out in the Desert?

I'm looking for atleast a mile away from people that also has some form of safe back stop....50 BMG. Anything that I don't need a 4X4 to access would be a plus.

Thanks,
Ray

I found a spot out on Marsh Station Rd at:

N 32 1.115  W 110 36.420

copy and paste that into Google Earth and it will take you there.  Get there by taking the Hwy 83 exit, get to the north side of the freeway, then take the frontage road east.  It turns into Marsh Station Rd.  Go past the train trestle a couple of miles and you'll see it on your left.  

I've been there several times.  Taken pistol, rifle, and 50bmg.  I left a piece of steel on the bank to the east, about 160yd from where you can park and set up.

The only trouble with the law I've had there was on the 4th of July 2008.  There were a lot of guys there.  The neighbors complained once, and a deputy came out.  I talked to him and convinced him we were all cool.  After that the 50 came out and the neighbors called in again, saying we were setting off fireworks.  So the deputy came back and asked us to leave.  He was real cool about it, and let us know he didn't agree but had to follow orders from his superiors.  

Go in the afternoon - the sun will be at your back.  See 50bmg and AR goodness at this location here.  My cousin - the one with the dreads - came down from Seattle ( liberal gun owner ) for our Gramps' funeral earlier this year.

Also here:

N 31 57.490 W 110 33.933

You can get there if you take the road off the eastbound freeway just before the Marsh Sta. exit.  It's right at

N 31 59.200 W 110 34.655

There's a gate but it's always been unlocked.  It's a little rough but I've made it in there with a 2WD truck without trouble.  

I put a piece of steel about 160yd north of the shooting location, across the ravine and up on the other side, lodged in some rocks where the water makes a small channel going downhill.  It's pretty close to  

N 31 57.565  W 110 33.961

I've scouted this area for a good 500 - 1000 yd location, but haven't found one yet.  I've looked north of the freeway between Empirita Rd and Hwy 90, nothing there.  I think the best bet will be between Marsh Station exit area and the mountains to the south, because there is almost nothing out there.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]

i spent over an hour the last time i was out in clarkdale shooting cleaning up after some sad sacks of shit like this.  these a-holes drag all kinds of crap out to the desert and shoot it up and leave it, i must have taken out 2 microwaves a hot water heater and mounds of food wrapers and beer cans.
im a transplant here but i can appreciate the desert we have and this stuff realy pisses me off.

on another note, we have a nice range in the works in cornville, beaverhead flats road crossing my fingers things go as planned, we need a legit range out here.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone hear anything about Buckeye Hills Range closing soon.  My dad heard that it was, supposedly because of lack of patronage.  The county (aka Taxpayers of Maricopa County) spend a lot of money remodelling the place, creating a nice place to shoot and I'd hate to think it will end.
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ChadG:
I'm surprised, no one mentioned the Casa Grande Trap & Skeet range, Red Mountain Trap, Skeet & Sporting clays.  

Surprise Sportsmans gun club is now closed, please thank (not) the flood district/CAP, Del Web and Sun City residents for having this range closed as they were only on that land for the last 50 years with no problems, Also the NRA did a study out there and determined the range was unsafe which also did not help their cause. I heard that they were looking in Buckeye for land to open up on, haven't heard much of anything about it since last August.

I second the desert, I can make longer range shots than only 200 yards and make my groups count. Normally we go out and stay from 7am-7pm

Sorry to inform, but Red Mountain has been closed for at least a year now. It looks very sad from the highway, too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking for some outdoor ranges in Pinal county near Florence / San Tan Valley (Johnson ranch area). Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:43:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PHOENIX13:
Looking for some outdoor ranges in Pinal county near Florence / San Tan Valley (Johnson ranch area). Any suggestions?

Anyone? :/
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CFO] [#27]
For those of us in Queen Creek / Gilbert areas:
There is a new indoor range called Cunningham's. It is on Rittenhouse, about a quarter mile east of Power Road

http://www.cunninghamsshootingrange.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Anyone? :/

PM sent, also see my post above.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CFO:
For those of us in Queen Creek / Gilbert areas:
There is a new indoor range called Cunningham's. It is on Rittenhouse, about a quarter mile east of Power Road

http://www.cunninghamsshootingrange.com

I went to this place last night. The close at 8, which is good to hit up after the drive home from work. The place is nice and simple inside. A fairly nice variety of rentals too. More long guns than handguns. Ammo was not too too steep. I forgot that no one lets you shoot steel inside anymore, and that's all I brought. 9mm was not too bad, 556 was 50 for 19.99.

Since it was my Wife and I's first time, we got the usual legal notice packet. But what was cool is he gave us 2 free targets, and the range was free for the day. So just paid for Ammo. It was my first outing with the AR, and only got about 60 rds thru her. It was my Wife's first time to a range and first time ever handling my firearms. So it was mostly getting her use to the .22lr and 9mm. She didnt shoot too bad of a 5 rd group with the AR though.

The range was darker than I thought it really should be. The backstop is all black, and with a black silhouette target, its all washed out. So need to pick up some better targets or move outside for the AR. Got a ton of steel to burn thru.
Overall, I'd give this place a 7 out of 10. Friendly and eager to help, price not too rich on ammo for a range, but the lanes themselves needed some improving.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
i am looking for a range  NEAR surprise, does anyone know of one?
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I was going to buy a family membership to PRG how long does it normally take to get accepted?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By thewildman:
i am looking for a range  NEAR surprise, does anyone know of one?

they closed the one at 303 and 60...closest one is shooters world at cactus and 89th ave
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Flagstaff range is operational.
northernarizonashootingrange.org
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a great spot in the desert. Not just for fun has extreme long range just north of here. Take I-10 west to 339th Ave (Mile post #103), exit on 339th Ave, make right turn (north bound) on to 339th Ave and go 2 miles to Indian School Road, make left turn on to Indian school Road (west bound) and go 2 miles to 355th Ave, make a right turn (north bound) on to 355th Ave and proceed to mile post #16 (approx. 5 miles). Just past mile post 16 you will see a cattle guard, just past the cattle guard you will see a dirt road on the left side, take the dirt road to the mountain (Flatiron Mountain).

Oh please clean up after yourselves.  Not that you wouldn't just have to throw that out there. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:43:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#35]
~
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 12:45:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AGW] [#36]
~
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm going up near flagstaff next tuesday and wednesday and wondering if any areas are still open. Planning on taking my own targets in and out but want a place not far away so I can teach the kids how to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sentient63] [#38]
New to the Prescott area.  Looking for an out of the way place out in the desert where I can stretch a .308 with steel targets.  Any suggestions/directions much appreciated.

ETA:  some research online indicates there are some informal ranges in Prescott NF out Iron Creek Road off Dosie Pit Road.  Anyone have any experience with this area?
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm completely new to the area, as I'm from Idaho.

I live in Goodyear - 145th Avenue and McDowell.  Can someone suggest a desert location that is safe to go shooting at?  I'd prefer something that's not hours away, and maybe on the west side.  

Thanks in Advance!
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm new to the East Valley, specifically Mesa.

I've had enough of official/formal ranges with RSO's, memberships, paid fees and crowds for the time being, I'd like to have some fun and do some training out in the desert with friends & family. But I'd like to avoid driving 2+ hours each way to the middle of literal no where. There is lots of desert out here, I'm not just aware of what and where is the closest spot that fits what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on where I might find a safe and legal area to shoot out this way (see above for criteria)? Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:
I'm new to the East Valley, specifically Mesa.

I've had enough of official/formal ranges with RSO's, memberships, paid fees and crowds for the time being, I'd like to have some fun and do some training out in the desert with friends & family. But I'd like to avoid driving 2+ hours each way to the middle of literal no where. There is lots of desert out here, I'm not just aware of what and where is the closest spot that fits what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on where I might find a safe and legal area to shoot out this way (see above for criteria)? Thanks!
View Quote

Same situation for me, just moved here.

BUMP
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I have yet to find something that fits what I'm looking for, or I would share it with you...

Unfortunately I have not had the time to explore and those who know of unregulated shooting areas are extremely unwilling to share even a general location.

So I guess for now, if I get the time to hit the range, I'm stuck with either a regulated indoor or outdoor range.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By diluted:
I was going to buy a family membership to PRG how long does it normally take to get accepted?
View Quote

They will tell you it will take 10-15 days but it is usually about a week
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#44]
I have yet to find something that fits what I'm looking for, or I would share it with you...

Unfortunately I have not had the time to explore and those who know of unregulated shooting areas are extremely unwilling to share even a general location.

So I guess for now, if I get the time to hit the range, I'm stuck with either a regulated indoor or outdoor range.
View Quote

How far are you willing to drive? Not that it matters right now due to closures, but once the monsoons hit all that changes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I would prefer less than 1 hour each way, but I would have to keep it below 2 hours each way at the maximum.
I'm already expecting an all day trip to and from, but the least amount of time I can spend driving and more time shooting, the better.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I would prefer less than 1 hour each way, but I would have to keep it below 2 hours each way at the maximum.
I'm already expecting an all day trip to and from, but the least amount of time I can spend driving and more time shooting, the better.
View Quote

The area just outside Florence Mil Res should be within that time, then.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#47]
http://joefossrange.com

West side of the Phoenix metro area on Hwy 85 south....between Buckeye and Gila Bend.  CMP matches, select fire OK.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#48]
... too many AZHTF pinned posts
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#49]
... too many AZHTF pinned posts

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I just wish I could get a nickle for all the shotgun shells I pick up. I use a lifter tool and don't even have to bend over! Same for steel cases.

Page / 3
Tacked Ranges (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top