Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2009 5:33:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, wondering if there's any GOOD local carbine classes that anybody is aware of?  I know the Magpul class got canceled and I can't really travel out of state to take a carbine class, so I'm left with what's available locally.  Price of class doesn't matter too much as long as it's a quality class.  

Also looking to take a tac shotgun class in the coming year and maybe a low light defensive pistol class.  I'm a member at SGC but their classes seem geared toward the novice - ie: general pistol safety, CCW instruction, women's defense classes, etc.  

Just trying to figure out the best option for local training.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Tactrain & GCC (Patrol Rifle Concepts) have carbine courses at BASF.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Tactrain & GCC (Patrol Rifle Concepts) have carbine courses at BASF.

Interesting.  Any personal experience with them?  Course descriptions look good and they seem to offer plenty of levels of carbine courses, which is nice.  Would be interested in anyone's opinions who has trained with them previously.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I, and several here, have trained with George at TacTrain.  Great value and good education.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I, and several here, have trained with George at TacTrain.  Great value and good education.

Great, thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to plot out what I'm going to take in 2010

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I know the Magpul class got canceled

Why did it get canceled?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why did it get canceled?

The heat is bad for Costa's beard growth.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did it get canceled?

Actually, I heard it has something to do with the fact that all of our outdoor ranges suck or some such

ie:  bit restrictive on the rules for what Magpul likes to do for training I guess.  At least that's what I recall reading somewhere on the Magpul forum.  I could be remembering it incorrectly.   I'll see if I can find it.

Found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=181939

According to Travis himself:

"The
ranges absolutely suck for hosting in the PHX area... Its a damn shame
too as there are ass loads of guys/gals wanting courses!"

Travis Haley

Magpul Industries Corp.

Magpul Dynamics LLC.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did it get canceled?

Actually, I heard it has something to do with the fact that all of our outdoor ranges suck or some such
ie: bit restrictive on the rules for what Magpul likes to do for training I guess. At least that's what I recall reading somewhere on the Magpul forum. I could be remembering it incorrectly. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=181939

According to Travis himself:

"Theranges absolutely suck for hosting in the PHX area... Its a damn shametoo as there are ass loads of guys/gals wanting courses!"

Travis Haley

Magpul Industries Corp.

Magpul Dynamics LLC.
Hmmm, I would have thought that our range offerings are pretty good compared to the rest of the country. We can pretty much go to a shooting event every night of the week, with all that capacity how does AZ not stack up other range offering around the country?

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the insurance requirements required by local host ranges are beyond what some traveling companies are willing to bear.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]
In addition, most ranges with suitable facilities are booked for local activities during the year.
Match directors and participants refuse to relinquish a weekend so that others may train.
This leaves only weekdays and that eliminates some candidates because of work commitments.

It's unfortunate and ironic that Az has some of the best pratical shooters in the country but few opportunity's to train (outside of Gunsite and others)
with a "traveling" company.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top