Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2009 7:14:07 AM EDT
I have a business trip to Tucson in mid-Nov.  I've never been anywhere in the southwest and I'm really looking forward to it.  I would love some suggestions of places to eat, visit, drive by, whatever.  I'll be at a customer site during the business hours so please bear that in mind.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Tucson is full of fun stuff; to help narrow it down:
Are you bringing your guns?
Do you want family friendly or NC-17 fun?
Do you drink?
What are you interested in?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tucson is full of fun stuff; to help narrow it down:
Are you bringing your guns?
Do you want family friendly or NC-17 fun?
Do you drink?
What are you interested in?

I'll be bringing my g27 for carry but that's it.
I am traveling alone and I'm open to adult entertainment.
I drink socially but I'm not usually a big drinker.
I do like to eat (and I eat most anything) so I'm open there as well.

I'm interested primarily in good dinner joints, night life, or places worth visiting.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Drop down into Nogales at night for 'night life'.

Oh and eat at this place.  Not expensive, but reflects a lot of the local culture here.  Sonoran hot dogs are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Cafe Poca Costa for nice food.

Take a drive up to Mt. Lemmon if you don't live near mountains.
Little Roccos has good pizza.

If you have time to walk around, go down to the U of A for food options and eye candy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What area of town will you be in mostly?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm not sure where I'll be staying but the business I'll be at is near N Wilmot Rd and E Speedway Blvd.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Drop down into Nogales at night for 'night life'.

Oh and eat at this place.  Not expensive, but reflects a lot of the local culture here.  Sonoran hot dogs are awesome.

Bookmarked and thank you.  Is Nogales a town I should visit alone?  (serious question)  I've heard it's rough.  Carbine neighborhood?

In Nogales is there a particular place I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try Cafe Poca Costa for nice food.

Take a drive up to Mt. Lemmon if you don't live near mountains.
Little Roccos has good pizza.

If you have time to walk around, go down to the U of A for food options and eye candy.

Bookmarked all the sites for those joints, thanks.  The Cafe looks swanky.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a Ramada Inn on that corner (north east corner)  tht is a pretty decent place to stay.  Hot breakfast, social hour and should be available at the standard per diem rate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
i dont know if they are talking about Nogales, meaning going into mexico and the bars and cat houses..

Like planes, check out Pima air muesuem....alot of neat planes....  also green vally and  the Titan missle silo.....
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to go get an eegee's!!!! Strawberry is my favorite and they have some pretty good subs there.There is one right down Speedway just before Craycroft on the right hand side if you are heading west from Wilmot.

If you eat Beyond Bread DO NOT get there hard bread.

My mom works in the same plaza as Beyond Bread so I know that whole plaza quite well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If you are considering Nogales, bring your current valid passport.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He can go to Nogales and just stay on the U.S. side. But if you want to check out Mexico for some crazy reason do what Jimbo said.

You could just drive to the Barrio and see what Mexico looks like without having to leave Tucson.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've never been to Mexico, only Guatemala and that was 6 years ago.  Is crossing the border something I should do solo?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been to Mexico, only Guatemala and that was 6 years ago.  Is crossing the border something I should do solo?

no

stay on the us side and carry a gun, ccw if you can
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want to go accross the border, you shouldn't go alone.  Not much to do down there but La Roca has damn good food.

If you want to go down there, drop me a line and I'll give you a quick tour.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure where I'll be staying but the business I'll be at is near N Wilmot Rd and E Speedway Blvd.

Wilmot and Speedway is at one end to restaurant row. Head north on Wilmot and you will find something.

For Sushi, try Sachiko, it is right there on the Northwest Corner. Slow service but good food.

For fine dining, try Jonathan's Cork, it is north on Wilmot.

Heck, El Taco Tote wasn't half bad, also north on Wilmot, I just tried it for the first time last night.

NC-17, look near the base, take Wilmot south to Golf Links and then west towards swan, or just head west on Speedway towards the U of A.

If you wanna shoot, there is an indoor range called the Marksman Institute or something like that, take Wilmot south to 22nd and turn west.

If you wanna look through a telescope, hit the Flandrau planetarium on the U of A campus. The night sky in Tucson rocks.

If you wanna look around, see the San Xavier mission, also see the Sonora Desert Museum (its a zoo, and see the raptor free flight demo),

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Definatly check out the titan missile museum.... it's cool

EDT: if you like nature, animals and such the desert museum is also worth checking out...

Richard
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
To me Tucson is a low rent Phoenix with a higher crime rate .
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
To me Tucon is a low rent Phoenix with a higher crime rate .

says the one standing in the kidnap capital of the country...........  Phoenix... too many people in one place at one time.....plus it's too hot and it's sinking.....

richard
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

says the one standing in the kidnap capital of the country...........  Phoenix... too many people in one place at one time.....plus it's too hot and it's sinking.....

richard

The only thing phoenix has on tucson is more gun stores....
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
as long as the right people get kidnaped ,and we all know who they are ,who cares . as for being  to hot ,it is only 2 or 3 degrees differant. the whole state is sinking with the weight of the illegal aliens .
Quoted:
Quoted:

richard

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
as long as the right people get kidnaped ,and we all know who they are ,who cares . as for being  to hot ,it is only 2 or 3 degrees differant. the whole state is sinking with the weight of the illegal aliens .

I agree.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
LUCKY WISHBONE food of the gods, they are scattered thru out town.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

QFT  
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#28]
It's the home of the University of Arizona.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Cafe Poca Cosa is a must, and lots of other fine mexican food restaurants, If you will be here on a weekend shoot me a PM I would be more then happy to take you out shooting. Swanky thats funny pretty much any place in Tucson is casual.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wilmot and Speedway is at one end to restaurant row. Head north on Wilmot and you will find something.

For Sushi, try Sachiko, it is right there on the Northwest Corner. Slow service but good food.

For fine dining, try Jonathan's Cork, it is north on Wilmot.

Heck, El Taco Tote wasn't half bad, also north on Wilmot, I just tried it for the first time last night.

NC-17, look near the base, take Wilmot south to Golf Links and then west towards swan, or just head west on Speedway towards the U of A.

If you wanna shoot, there is an indoor range called the Marksman Institute or something like that, take Wilmot south to 22nd and turn west.

If you wanna look through a telescope, hit the Flandrau planetarium on the U of A campus. The night sky in Tucson rocks.

If you wanna look around, see the San Xavier mission, also see the Sonora Desert Museum (its a zoo, and see the raptor free flight demo),

Marksman is on 29th.... and I think Flandreau is already closed, but I'm not sure.    A Tucson classic http://www.arizonabeautiful.com/tucson-southern/the-thing-tucson-arizona.html
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You have to go get an eegee's!!!! Strawberry is my favorite and they have some pretty good subs there.

FOR REAL???!

I'm not kidding when I say Eegees has the singularly most disgusting chain food I have ever eaten. And I ate in a Luby's once!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT  

Ugh.  Maybe if you like greasy, non-original KFC type of food.  That place isn't great.  Same with Eegee's.  Both are trying to be original, and they both suck!

Yes, Nogales is carbine neighborhood.  There are some pretty drives down in that area, though.  Patagonia and Sierra Vista aren't terribly far, and it's a very nice drive.  

Crossing the border isn't a big deal, but I would only do it during the day, and stay close, and dress low profile.  

Really though, Tucson isn't that great.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
mi niditos.

good food there.

don't let anyone tell you miracle mile is fun.

titan missile museum if you can, (just watch out for the old folk driving in green valley)

and watch out for this guy,

he apparently loves tucson also, his story
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#35]
These are a lot of great suggestions guys I appreciate it.  I'm considering sticking around over the weekend, we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT  

Ugh.  Maybe if you like greasy, non-original KFC type of food.  That place isn't great.  Same with Eegee's.  Both are trying to be original, and they both suck  

Lucky Wishbone IS a Tucson original, they've been around since the early '50s, prob'ly BEFORE KFC showed it's crappy, corporate face here. Eegees is known for the frozen fruit drinks, NOT the crappy, wannabe subs... and they are ALSO a Tucson original.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Baggins is decent for lunch. Try an Eegee fizz which is the slushie mixed with the soda of your choice. El charro is decent too, there is one at broadway and wilmot I think. I second beyond bread, my favorites are tony's trio and charlie's chicken.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#38]

+1 the best in town. m4whore

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the home of the University of Arizona.

And not the home of this guy ^, thank GAWD.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT  

Ugh.  Maybe if you like greasy, non-original KFC type of food.  That place isn't great.  Same with Eegee's.  Both are trying to be original, and they both suck  

Lucky Wishbone IS a Tucson original, they've been around since the early '50s, prob'ly BEFORE KFC showed it's crappy, corporate face here. Eegees is known for the frozen fruit drinks, NOT the crappy, wannabe subs... and they are ALSO a Tucson original.

...and they both still serve mediocre greasy food.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top