Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 11:17:42 PM EDT
Does anyone know of somebody reputable?  I think a local smith fucked up my 45-70.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
What is wrong with it,(1895g i assume)
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I took it to a smith to have it reblued and when I got it back, the firs thing wrong was the magazine follow was stuck...so I took it back and heard him bang away back at his shop and then he gave it back and it worked.  But the action feels shitty or something, hard to explain, like extra chunky, and the trigger feels heavier.  I would rather have a competent smith look it over for peace of mind.  This same smith fucked up a Ruger Security Six too...it was the same batch as the 45-70 for rebluing, and when I got it the timing was completely out of whack so I took it to a revolver expert and he said the internals are all screwed up and need to be replaced.

Got any suggestions on a smith? I googled and found Legendary Gunsmiths here in Phoenix and they say they do lever guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to say legendary guns of the west,but I think it is the same place as legendary gunsmithing.I am sure they will figure it out .
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was going to say legendary guns of the west,but I think it is the same place as legendary gunsmithing.I am sure they will figure it out .

Just called them, they don;t smith anymore.  I just talked to my smith who is fixing the Ruger I mentioned and he said he does Marlins too (I must apparently forgot about that).  He said quote: "your Ruger is the  most fucked up I have ever seen..." and then went on for about 30 minutes on how nothing worked right.  

Lesson learned: DO NOT I repeat, DO NOT use the smith at Caswells Guns in Mesa!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well... I would have fixed it for ya for free.... bring it on by.... now where is my 24oz hammer and pipe wrench...

Richard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top