Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2008 6:58:41 PM EDT
Arpaio: Go back where you came from

by Senta Scarborough and William Hermann - Jul. 14, 2008 04:16 PM
The Arizona Republic

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio brought about 100 posse volunteers and deputies to Mesa on Monday, nearly three weeks after a two-day crime sweep that netted scores of arrests. Arpaio said deputies made 15 arrests, including 10 suspected undocumented immigrants.

Unlike a sweep last month, Arpaio's office did not give Mesa Police notice before coming into the city. Mesa Assistant Chief John Meza said the Sheriff's Office notified the department when they started the citywide enforcement about 2 p.m. Meza said police offered to provide assistance if needed.

Meeting with the media in a county island between Mesa and Tempe hours after the sweep began, an angry Arpaio said he had a message for those in the state illegally: “Get away from here and go back where you came from. If you are illegal, leave.”  He then thanked Gov. Janet Napolitano, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox and Guadalupe Mayor Rebecca Jimenez for criticizing his immigration efforts, insisting their vocal criticism of his efforts has forced more undocumented immigrants to leave the state.

With a touch of sarcasm, he also thanked protesters who showed up at recent sweeps in Phoenix, Guadalupe and Mesa for heaping on the attention. “Thank you, demonstrators, for calling me Hitler and Nazi. Thank you,” Arpaio said. As Arpaio spoke, a man and woman were led in handcuffs to a mobile command center for processing.

Near the end of the press conference, a handful of demonstrators arrived. “I'm here to protest his sweeps. I think he is racially profiling people and I'm deeply concerned,” said Nicole Siqueiros, 27, a Phoenix attorney and member of the group Los Abogados. “I want to remind him these are people. Every sweep, I plan to be there.”

Mesa Police Association President Fabian Cota called Monday’s sweep “an absolute surprise.” “It certainly isn’t in the spirit of cooperation between law enforcement agencies who are participating on the same team,” he said. “It is like we always said, this has nothing to do with immigration but everything to do with officer safety.”

On June 26-27, MCSO deputies conducted a crime sweep and arrested 72 people, 28 of them undocumented immigrants. The sweeps prompted protests outside the sheriff's substation in Mesa, and Mesa police had more than 130 extra officers on the streets. After the sweeps, Arpaio, whose efforts were monitored by the U.S. Justice Department and Arizona Attorney General's Office, pledged to bring his crime patrols to Mesa again without warning. Mesa Police Chief George Gascón said an unannounced sweep could hurt officers' ability to deal with demonstrators and keep the peace.

In April, the sheriff announced he would bring his crime patrols to Mesa after several East Valley legislators asked him to do so. Gascón asked Arpaio to provide at least two days' notice so the department could re-direct its resources to keep the peace. The sheriff's previous sweeps in Guadalupe and Phoenix drew large pro-immigration or anti-Arpaio crowds. Arpaio moved the command post for in Guadalupe to Mesa after demonstrators made him uncomfortable. Arpaio made two unannounced sweeps in Mesa in November.
www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/07/14/20080714mr-arpaio.html
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I absolutely LOVE this guy!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
next governor?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
.. go get 'em Joe!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I SOOOOOOO hope that Joe runs for Guv!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
next governor?

I never thought of that...

There's no way it would happen though is there?

..this guy may be my new boss (seriously... waiting for a phone call.. lol)
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
TTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHEEE GUY is GGREATTT
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I SOOOOOOO hope that Joe runs for Guv!!!

Me too. We are going to need a Governor with balls. With McCain or Obama as our choice for President, this country is fucked.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I just want to say that Im all for Officer safety in general and I have nothing against the Police in general. So please don't take what Im about to say as "he's a cop hater"  

But it pisses me off when Chief George Gascón uses "officer safety" as a reason not to enforce a law.  Police work is fucking dangerous....get over it!  Is it me, or does anyone else see this?  

Joe gave the guy a 2 day warning when he planned to do this a few weeks ago,  Gascón ran his mouth or at least someone leaked the info and as a result these alleged illegals (trying to be PC here) stayed inside.

So Im sick as shit of hearing this "give us a 2 day warning, so we can have optimum officer safety" when you can't keep your shit to yourself.

Im all for the surprise visit, and I hope they continue.

rant over
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I agree Gascon is full of it.   Friggin politician.    These "sanctuary cities" are f**ked up.    Looks like that idiot mayor of San Fran is finally going to get it from the feds for ignoring federal law.

I'd love to see Joe as Governor also, but he must be about to retire at his age.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
He's ornery, argumentative, says what he thinks, and a no-BS/non-PC kinda guy........
I love him.

keep up the good work Joe!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
In Before The Sheriff Joe Haters.

Seriously, the way to make illegals go home is to make them unwelcome.  No jobs, no schools, no medical services, no social services, no free stuff whatsoever.  And frequent roundups.  Doesn't matter if they catch 10 or 1000.  Make them feel unwelcome and eventually they'll go elsewhere.  I already see it happening, the fast food places are changing drastically in my area.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Seriously, the way to make illegals go home is to make them unwelcome.  No jobs, no schools, no medical services, no social services, no free stuff whatsoever.  And frequent roundups.  Doesn't matter if they catch 10 or 1000.  Make them feel unwelcome and eventually they'll go elsewhere.  I already see it happening, the fast food places are changing drastically in my area.

The wonderful thing about this is that if an illegal alien gets stopped by ANY LE agency in AZ for ANY reason, they will be returned to their country of origin by ICE if the LE agency does not charge them with anything. It doesn't matter if the alien was stopped for speeding, unsafe lane change or even broken down on the side of the highway. LE agencies will call ICE if they suspect them of being illegal. It's getting harder and harder for illegal aliens to live in this state. If only other states were as proactive.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Seriously, the way to make illegals go home is to make them unwelcome.

I'm visualize flocks of poop flinging flying monkeys swarming the Home Depots, labor centers and sanctuary churches...
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Big +1
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wonderful thing about this is that if an illegal alien gets stopped by ANY LE agency in AZ for ANY reason, they will be returned to their country of origin by ICE if the LE agency does not charge them with anything. It doesn't matter if the alien was stopped for speeding, unsafe lane change or even broken down on the side of the highway. LE agencies will call ICE if they suspect them of being illegal. It's getting harder and harder for illegal aliens to live in this state. If only other states were as proactive.
It seems that the other states have lost their backbone, they wont enforce anti-immigration policies nor take steps to halt it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]
You still see them in large numbers on construction sites.

Down the street from my place on Stapley and Southern, the jobsite is at least 95% hispanic. In my experience on construction sites 70 to 80% were illegal.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1

+2 I work out at Saguaro lake and I am not seeing hoards of illegals down at the Salt River like years past. It used to be that, on weekends, it would take quite a while to get back into Mesa after work, now there is NO traffic to speak of..also, on the monday commute to work, we used to see tons of trash along Bush hwy. not so anymore.
I wonder if the paddy wagon with the big "Illegal Hotline" number plastered on the side of it has anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I sure would like that hot line number if anyone knows it . FYI the feds know exactly how to stop it but they won't. I was told this by an IRS agent and he claimed it woud work without any added cost to the gov. he said if you make it a Feloney to hire an Illegal no employer would risk it. so there would be no work or money for them and they would leave. simple,cheap and fast.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#20]
just call MCSO to report a crime, illegal immigration is a crime. Next time the paddy wagon is at the lake I will copy number and post it here.
P.S. Walt Disney knew how to get people to leave....turn off the rides (free rides)
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 7:28:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I hope he stays awhile! He does what other city's will not do (like Mesa, Phoenix). I am just surprised that the Mayor of Phoenix forgot so quickly that PPD Ofr N. Erfle was gnned down by an Illegal!!!! Chandler also forgot so quickly that the "Chandler Rapist" was an illegal!  

Link Posted: 8/6/2008 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
THE MAN.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
THE MAN.

+1

The only thing the Joe-haters have is to say that he's an attention whore and a blowhard.  I say, "WHO CARES?!"  He marches to his own drum and does exactly what he says he's going to do, which is almost always the RIGHT THING, even if he totally gets trashed for it.
Name me one other dude in a position of power with the ability to make a difference that has the balls to do what Joe is doing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You still see them in large numbers on construction sites.

Down the street from my place on Stapley and Southern, the jobsite is at least 95% hispanic. In my experience on construction sites 70 to 80% were illegal.

Then those sites need a visit, the illegals need a ride south and the owners of the company need a hefty fine.  And, if they participated in any way in bringing the illegals into this country, they need their business license revoked and a stay in tent city.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
This is my first post here. I felt I had to interject with a wish for at least 14 more sheriff Joe's at least one for every county in Arizona.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This is my first post here. I felt I had to interject with a wish for at least 14 more sheriff Joe's at least one for every county in Arizona.

... Welcome to ARFCOM AZHTF, many here share your sentiment
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Another big +1 for Joe. The guys effective. He's doing his job. Give the city's time to warn the illegals of a pending sweep? WTF??? A couple of years ago at my job, they announced that the next day a sweep for illegals would happen ( aprox. 4k employe's ). Guess what? Not a damn one of em showed up to work. Who'd of thought?

GO JOE!
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#28]
RANT ON,

Do all you guys believe what the media tells you? Joe is a great politician he knows his anticts will result in this type of support. Try working for him, if your not a robot who believes in abusing other human beings your fired. Im all for deporting every illegal alien and setting up sniper positions for enemy invaders but you need to wake up about this idiot we have for Sheriff.  

All his popularity is gained through this type of BS news media coverage. Next time you pay any taxes in Maricopa County just think about 4% of the taxes you pay go to pay wrongfull death lawsuits and to defend this idiot for his careless actions. Im all for crime and punnishment, I have been protecting Arizona tax payers for 15 years in Law Enforcement. We never had to beat any suspects and then call a press confrence to show just how tough we are. If you only knew how many criminals have been released by the courts because Joe did (or ordered) something stupid and the dirt bags lawyer got GOOD charges dropped to save the County another law suit.

Seriously, stop listening to the media and get your Joe facts straight, you might see a whole new picture if you had all the facts. He is bad for Arizona and would be a horrible Governor. Read some of the law suits, ask a cop if you know one see how they feel about him. Hopefully some of you will go seek the truth and end the terror for Deputies in Maricopa County.

Simply he is a Media hungry, self inflated, ego maniac who pushes the limits of the legal system to the breaking point. WAKE UP PEOPLE! All this illegal alien hunting will end 10 minutes after the election if he wins again.

Rant Off, thanks I feel better. Hope it makes some of you open your eyes.

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He's ornery, argumentative, says what he thinks, and a no-BS/non-PC kinda guy........
I love him.

keep up the good work Joe!!
Same here, got to love it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know shit about working for him or if he is doing a good or bad job ,but I'm tired of seeing his face in the media. as far as him getting elected again, he will be sheriff as long as he wants. but I sure hope he doesn't run for Governer,we have had a lot of strange governers and he would be an rotten choice for governer. him and Andrew Thomas are too fast and loose with the constitution and stepping on our rights .
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 3:29:28 AM EDT
[#31]
He's 76, we probably wont have him 12 additional years.

I think Tent City is a good thing.  Why should they sit in an air conditioned room watching cable, drinking esspresso (however the f you spell it) and banging each other in the arse all day.  Jail should be something you never want to go to.

Even if what he says is fluff or hot air, it does serve as a deterrant to so many of them pouring across our border.  To be honest, I dont mind a few here.  The ones that want to work are for the most part fine, but they should participate in the economy instead of be a vampire on it.  The rest of em, running around town thinking their gangsters, need to be dealt with once and for all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Why should they sit in an air conditioned room watching cable, drinking esspresso (however the f you spell it) and banging each other in the arse all day. Jail should be something you never want to go to.
Man, that is a place I never want to go to!
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Why should they sit in an air conditioned room watching cable, drinking esspresso (however the f you spell it) and banging each other in the arse all day. Jail should be something you never want to go to.
Man, that is a place I never want to go to!

... "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
RANT ON,

Do all you guys believe what the media tells you? Joe is a great politician he knows his anticts will result in this type of support. Try working for him, if your not a robot who believes in abusing other human beings your fired. Im all for deporting every illegal alien and setting up sniper positions for enemy invaders but you need to wake up about this idiot we have for Sheriff.  

All his popularity is gained through this type of BS news media coverage. Next time you pay any taxes in Maricopa County just think about 4% of the taxes you pay go to pay wrongfull death lawsuits and to defend this idiot for his careless actions. Im all for crime and punnishment, I have been protecting Arizona tax payers for 15 years in Law Enforcement. We never had to beat any suspects and then call a press confrence to show just how tough we are. If you only knew how many criminals have been released by the courts because Joe did (or ordered) something stupid and the dirt bags lawyer got GOOD charges dropped to save the County another law suit.

Seriously, stop listening to the media and get your Joe facts straight, you might see a whole new picture if you had all the facts. He is bad for Arizona and would be a horrible Governor. Read some of the law suits, ask a cop if you know one see how they feel about him. Hopefully some of you will go seek the truth and end the terror for Deputies in Maricopa County.

Simply he is a Media hungry, self inflated, ego maniac who pushes the limits of the legal system to the breaking point. WAKE UP PEOPLE! All this illegal alien hunting will end 10 minutes after the election if he wins again.

Rant Off, thanks I feel better. Hope it makes some of you open your eyes.

+1!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top