Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 2:16:48 PM EDT
California   to be model for auto emissions
By Dick Kamp
Inside Tucson Business
Published on Friday, November 30, 2007

Arizona environmental quality officials are making new automobile emission standards rules and they're looking to model them after what California is doing.

In outlining the plans Nov. 26, Steve Owen, director of the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), said "Arizona has the highest rate of growth of climate-changing greenhouse gases in the United States." He said the goal is to cut greenhouse gas emmissions from vehicles starting with the 2011 model year.

The new rules are being developed following an executive order on climate change issued in September 2006 by Gov. Janet Napolitano. Arizona's Climate Change Advisory Group unanimously recommended the state adopt the standards from California's Clean Car Program.

The proposed Arizona rules are due to be made public by early 2008 after which there will be a public comment period before a final draft of the rules is made in the summer.

In 2005, California mandated that new light duty cars and trucks must have reduced carbon emissions by the 2009 model year. Also, that state appealed to the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) seeking permission to regulate greenhouse gases with rules that more strict than federal standards.

The Alliance of Automotive Manufacturers, with support from the Bush administration has lobbied in opposition to the California request. The automobile industry has also sued California.

In Arizona, Owens said Napolitano's goal is to reduce the state's greenhouse gas emissions to what they were in 2000 by the year 2020 and then continue so that they are cut in half by 2040.

Contact Dick Kamp at [email protected]. Kamp is environmental liaison for Wick Communications, parent company of Inside Tucson Business.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Reducing green house gases is a bad thing?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Pardon me while I bend over and "off gas".  

Bear
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't give a rats ass about greenhouse gas.  I don't buy the hype.

But I DO buy the fact that we are being held hostage by nations  due to our energy dependance on imported oil.  And most of them don't really like us.

Time this country manned up and got off the juice.  We got enough oil, uranium and coal reserves to completely replace imported oil for anything but gasoline within the next five years.  After that, a few more years to perfect battery tech and make most cars run on electricity.  The reduced demand would drop oil prices screwing  OPEC and reducing our trade deficit.

IN fact, we can also convert coal to fuel to operate cars.  We have the technology.  And it is cost effective.  We just have to get past the startup phase.  For once, I would LIKE to see government make this happen.  I'm tired of taking it up the butt from people like Chavez.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Someday someone with some money will invest in my "lightning-powered battery grid" that can charge ten hundred jigavolts worth of batteries with each lighting strike. A huge array of lighning rods strategically placed at high locations around the city will capture hundreds of lightning strikes each year in the city which will use then use the electricity to charge megagigatera-sized storage batteries and capacitors that can then be used to power the city for weeks or months at a time.  

Now THAT'S clean renewable energy.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't give a rats ass about greenhouse gas.  I don't buy the hype.

But I DO buy the fact that we are being held hostage by nations  due to our energy dependance on imported oil.  And most of them don't really like us.

Time this country manned up and got off the juice.  We got enough oil, uranium and coal reserves to completely replace imported oil for anything but gasoline within the next five years.  After that, a few more years to perfect battery tech and make most cars run on electricity.  The reduced demand would drop oil prices screwing  OPEC and reducing our trade deficit.

IN fact, we can also convert coal to fuel to operate cars.  We have the technology.  And it is cost effective.  We just have to get past the startup phase.  For once, I would LIKE to see government make this happen.  I'm tired of taking it up the butt from people like Chavez.

Here hear!  Anthropogenic global warming is a giant scam. Between ethanol, nuclear power, Fisher-Tropsh we have the technology to build a non-oil requiring infrastructure.  Then we can tell the folks in the middle east to go "drink your oil"
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Just wait til all the fornians that have moved here start pushing their antigun money and agendas. THEN where are we gonna move?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
Oh Lord, kumbaya
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I just moved from "Fornia" to AZ and I'm pushing the buy "lot-o-guns" movement right now.Next month I will be pushing the "Quiet" movement by buying a can.....
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well I just moved from "Fornia" to AZ and I'm pushing the buy "lot-o-guns" movement right now.Next month I will be pushing the "Quiet" movement by buying a can.....

We talked about it and you can stay. The rest of the fornians will be marched out at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We talked about it and you can stay. The rest of the fornians will be marched out at gunpoint.

Ok I'll help you guys...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
We just need to put a requirement on Californians moving to the free world:  They need to take an oath of citizenship in order to prove their allegiance to the US.  If the will promise to uphold the Constitution and support ALL of its ammendments, they can come in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top