Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2007 5:51:47 PM EDT
Anyone ever order one online?  I'm trying to pick up a bigger one, but all of the places say I'm responsible for getting it off the truck.  Since I don't have a forklift I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this.  Thoughts?

This is what I'm looking at: Stack On Elite 45

I'm really looking for something about that size, too.  All I've found local even close to the same size/price range is a 39 gun Redhead at Bass Pro... They want $1199 for that, though, plus tax... And compared to the Stack On Elites I've seen (I've never seen the 45 in person, just the 24's and one (sadly no longer carried - I would have bought it) 36) it's nowhere near as nice inside.  Everything else is a lot more in that size range.  At some point, I can afford to rent a forklift.

I'm going to call, maybe I can get a truck with a tailgate loader.  I can move something off of that.  I just can't get it to the ground.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just bought a safe from a local retailer.  It weighed 900#, about what your safe will weigh. I wimped out and hired a pro to deliver and install and glad I did, even though it was expensive.  They picked it up at the retailer and delivered it upright, bolted to the pallet, on a low-riding trailer. They used a hydraulic hand powered fork-lift to get it off the trailer, and into the house, and they almost dropped it moving it up the driveway. Their installation service included bolting it to the floor.

If your delivery truck has a loading lift to get the safe to ground level you can proceed with a rented hand cart as noted above. If not, then don't see any way around the need for a "real" forklift to get it to ground level.  Guess you could lay it on its back in the truck and slide  it out until it tipped verticle and lowered itself to the ground.  Sounds like a few big friends and a case of beer would be required for that method.

The installation guys used lengths of pipe to use as rollers to move the safe around once they got it off the pallet.

Good luck

Thanks.  I just haven't seen much local that's competitive - even if I had to rent a forklift.  I'm going to call and see if I can get a truck with an lift.  I wish I had a loading dock available - I'd be able to do this no sweat.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You can specify "lift gate service".  We do it often.  Sometimes the shipper F's up and doesn't follow through.  We send them back to get a lift gate truck.

Unless you have stairs to negotiate, you can move a 3000lb safe into a house with a pallet jack (or 2) and a Johnson bar.  I have done it a couple times.  A forklift may be a good idea too, if you have to move any significant distance.  

I rented a forklift, it was about $75 a day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Not sure how my Dad arranged his safe delivery, but when it arrived he offered the 2 guys delivering it a hundred bucks apiece if they would move and set it in place in his house. They where as happy as clams at high tide to do it for him.

Funny how well C notes motivate people!

Bear
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a Liberty Safe and they delivered it and installed it for free.  I'm not sure if you've looked into their stuff, but it seems to be holding up really well.  Plus if anyone ever tries breaking in and they F*up the safe, Liberty replaces the safe for free.  Otherwise, call Jason B at Scottsdale Gun Club and check out their stuff.  Just my $.02.  Best of luck either way....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Bell Lock and Safe on Bell Rd. and 50th Ave is having a 25% off sale on the American Security safes they sell. I think I'm gonna pick up a LP6032 from them for about $1150. He said they will deliver it in and unmarked truck and place it (Not install it) wherever you want it (First Floor) for free.

Any info on these safes? LP6032W
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Bell Lock and Safe on Bell Rd. and 50th Ave is having a 25% off sale on the American Security safes they sell. I think I'm gonna pick up a LP6032 from them for about $1150. He said they will deliver it in and unmarked truck and place it (Not install it) wherever you want it (First Floor) for free.

Just got an AmSec safe, I think it's the BF6030.  A word of advice: if you're going to put electric power into the safe for lights or a humidity thingy, the access hole is in the lower right hand corner of the back of the safe.  It's a small hole, and if you place the safe tight against a wall, you're screwed as far as getting a cord out of the safe and routed to an outlet.  Also, access to this hole from the inside of the safe requires removal of the fuzzy inernal panels, so do all the wiring before you load the safe up.
Also, WW sells a digital humidity gage (hygrometer?) for $8 that's great.  Humidity runs between 25 and 35% with a can of dessicant but no humidity thingy.

Very happy with the safe, but the gun capacity is highly overstated--same with all the mfgrs.

+1.   I had to learn this lesson the hard way w/ my 1200lbs safe.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got an AmSec safe, I think it's the BF6030.  A word of advice: if you're going to put electric power into the safe for lights or a humidity thingy, the access hole is in the lower right hand corner of the back of the safe.  It's a small hole, and if you place the safe tight against a wall, you're screwed as far as getting a cord out of the safe and routed to an outlet.  Also, access to this hole from the inside of the safe requires removal of the fuzzy inernal panels, so do all the wiring before you load the safe up.
Also, WW sells a digital humidity gage (hygrometer?) for $8 that's great.  Humidity runs between 25 and 35% with a can of dessicant but no humidity thingy.

Very happy with the safe, but the gun capacity is highly overstated--same with all the mfgrs.

I have an AMSEC BF6040 and love it.  Picked it up here from someone AZ-K9 knew.

P.S. I have a loading dock here at work and could get it off the truck for you.  I'm in Central Mesa.  Let me know if you need my help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I moved a 60/40 Amsec w/o a fire liner with only a large wheeled harborfreight hand cart and a second helper to get the thing tilted.  The safe was 950lbs.  

No stairss.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, the safes are not hardened steel unless they are TL rated.  Only one gunsafe on the market is available with this feature, that I am aware of.  What that means is you can drill a hole with a standard high speed drill, almost anywhere you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top