Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad really.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They will not be held to account.
All they would have to do is play the race card and the PC pussies would cave and write them a check.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I sent a message, not that it will do any good.  As far as I am concerned, they should be expelled for the rest of the semester.  Let them fail and return to retake the year they are in, next year, or they could drop out and go to picking lettuce.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
... Good idea. I'm calling Horn's office today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you hear some of those mental midgets the media interviewed?  Holy shit the future looks bright!

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did you hear some of those mental midgets the media interviewed?  Holy shit the future looks bright!

Hell's coming !
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I sent a message, not that it will do any good.  As far as I am concerned, they should be expelled for the rest of the semester.  Let them fail and return to retake the year they are in, next year, or they could drop out and go to picking lettuce.  

Thank you for contacting the Department of Education regarding the recent student “walk-outs”.  We understand your concern for the children’s well being and for their need to be in attendance at school.  

Though your concerns are valid, the Department of Education does not have the authority or jurisdiction to intervene on matters such as suspension.  Pursuant to ARS 15-843 Article B, “The governing board of any school district shall, in consultation with the teachers and parents of the school district, prescribe rules for the discipline, suspension and expulsion of pupils.”  Therefore, the decision to suspend, expel, or discipline the pupils for their action is one each school district will determine. If you would like to view this statute in it’s entirety as well as all other Title 15 statutes, please visit the following link:  http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=15 .

Additionally, if you disagree with the decision of your school district to suspend or not suspend the pupils for their action, you may wish to address the Governing School Board for a policy change.  The Governing Board is the entity responsible for establishing the majority of the policies and procedures at the schools and districts.  The most appropriate way to recommend or propose a change in policy is to be placed as an agenda item at their next meeting.  To learn more about this process you will need to speak with your district office directly. If you do no have your district’s contact information you may retrieve it from the following link: www.ade.az.gov/edd.

Again, we appreciate your involvement and concern for these pupils. If our division can provide additional information or services, please do not hesitate to contact us and it would be our pleasure to assist you.  Thank you again for expressing your concerns over this matter and for the opportunity to provide service.  Have a wonderful day

Sincerely,

Special Projects & Constituent Services
Arizona Department of Education
1535 W. Jefferson Street, Bin #2
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Phone:  602.542.3710

Fax: 602.364.1532

[email protected]

www.ade.az.gov  

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day, Tejano recording artist Selena made an appearance at a grocery store in the town I grew up in (97-98% non-white).  Kids cut classes to get her autograph, etc.

The superintendent (himself non-white) showed up and rounded up about 40 kids.  Those who had been in trouble before that year were suspended; those who had not received one week of in-school suspension.  The three athletes (superintendent was also a former coach) were not allowed to compete for two weeks.

They all got a lecture on how they were short-changing their education (i.e. their ticket out) by cutting class.  He himself was a Tejano music fan, but a bigger fan of discipline, respect, order, etc.

He'd also last about two minutes in that district today.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Education regarding the recent student “walk-outs”.  We understand your concern for the children’s well being and for their need to be in attendance at school.  

Though your concerns are valid, the Department of Education does not have the authority or jurisdiction to intervene on matters such as suspension.  Pursuant to ARS 15-843 Article B, “The governing board of any school district shall, in consultation with the teachers and parents of the school district, prescribe rules for the discipline, suspension and expulsion of pupils.”  Therefore, the decision to suspend, expel, or discipline the pupils for their action is one each school district will determine. If you would like to view this statute in it’s entirety as well as all other Title 15 statutes, please visit the following link:  http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=15 .

Additionally, if you disagree with the decision of your school district to suspend or not suspend the pupils for their action, you may wish to address the Governing School Board for a policy change.  The Governing Board is the entity responsible for establishing the majority of the policies and procedures at the schools and districts.  The most appropriate way to recommend or propose a change in policy is to be placed as an agenda item at their next meeting.  To learn more about this process you will need to speak with your district office directly. If you do no have your district’s contact information you may retrieve it from the following link: www.ade.az.gov/edd.

Again, we appreciate your involvement and concern for these pupils. If our division can provide additional information or services, please do not hesitate to contact us and it would be our pleasure to assist you.  Thank you again for expressing your concerns over this matter and for the opportunity to provide service.  Have a wonderful day

Sincerely,

Special Projects & Constituent Services
Arizona Department of Education
1535 W. Jefferson Street, Bin #2
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Phone:  602.542.3710

Fax: 602.364.1532

[email protected]

www.ade.az.gov  

Good job at least getting something in writing, Mak.  Now that you know how the game is played, you can game the system.

If it plays out that no disciplinary action is taken, as long as future behavior (i.e. cutting) cannot be distinguished from what transpired the other day, no punitive action can be taken.  It would be 'disparate treatment'.  It's one thing for the district/etc to set the policies, but they can't apply them differently (esp. not to different recognizable groups).  That's got class action written all over it.

Oh, and to the extent it's applicable:

"Finite players play within boundaries; infinite players play with boundaries." James P. Carse, Finite and Infinite Games

While you may wish to tinker with the boundaries a bit, keep in mind that the game being played is [technically] a finite game, as it's goal is victory (not continued play).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the heads up, I sent a letter his way...
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The school district I live in is Vail, AZ.  Outside of Tucson.  We didn't have walkouts as far as I know, but my taxes still go to the state and with John Reno and that crap in federal court where He/She let the fines keep going up to provide money in a back door way for non-English education, screw this state.  Until butch is voted out of office, I will vote against any override for raising tax money for my school district.  My district went from 2 schools 11 years ago to I believe over 10 schools now.  If it wasn't for illegals invading Tucson, our schools would not be overcrowded and our taxes would not be so high.  

Not counting the state prisons which I have no knowledge of, the federal prisons and contract prisons/detention centers in Arizona currently have thousands of illegal aliens locked up in the state.  These people are not in prison for illegal entry alone.  Drug smuggling, rape, murder, assault, theft.  They are not nice people coming here to do construction and pick vegetables.  

Over 500,000 illegals were detained in the AZ Southwest last year.  That number is going to be dwarfed in the coming years with the idiot in the White House, John McCain and pole smoker Kolbe pushing for a guest worker law and letting illegals think there will be amnesty.  By letting those in Mexico believe there will be another amnesty declared, this encourages them to come into our country now.

Those of you in Tucson will remember when the county ran Kino hospital and it was over budget by $40,000,000 that was coming out of our tax money.  That was the hospital the indigent of the county went to and we picked up the bills.  The overwhelming majority of those indigent patients were not US citizens.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Channel 3 just said that Phoenix Union High School district is possible going to make the students who walked out of class write an essay about their experiences as a form of punishment.  That will teach them, I mean cmon now they are going to start walking out for no good reason and pretending to give a shit about this whole thing just knowing all they *might* have to do is write a little paper...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Channel 3 just said that Phoenix Union High School district is possible going to make the students who walked out of class write an essay about their experiences as a form of punishment.  That will teach them, I mean cmon now they are going to start walking out for no good reason and pretending to give a shit about this whole thing just knowing all they *might* have to do is write a little paper...

And you know that some of them will use it as a writing sample for college, scholarship apps, etc, in the future.

The ones that just let you submit your choice as a writing sample.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"And so as punishment, you'll have to write an essay about how racist America is."

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"And so as punishment, you'll have to write an essay about how racist America is."

Ain't that the truth.

Oh, in a related note, I noticed you've gone back to your "oldie-but-goodie" sig.......
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Oh, in a related note, I noticed you've gone back to your "oldie-but-goodie" sig.......

Yeah, you reminded me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did you hear some of those mental midgets the media interviewed?  Holy shit the future looks bright! hr

Afraid so, watched the local news last night here in Tucson [mistake].
[REPORTER] "Why are you marching today?"
[TEEN MARCHER GIRL] "We are, like, protesting, like, what the laws are doing to Mexico?" Couldn't help but notice the follow-up story (not big news, more every day deal) about the horse trailer carrying 40+ illegals smashing into a light pole after a chase with La Migra.  Driver (coyote) got away.  18 treated for injuries or hospitalized (on my tab).  One detained on felony CA warrant for rape (add 1 to the taxpayer prison count).  Rest bused home in luxurious air-conditioned coach.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
There are more parties to account for the walk-out than just the students. You know there are some teachers that are supporting these events. They should be the first ones held to account.

My profiling of the students shown on the news suggests that most that we saw walk-out of school will probably drop-out soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I received a work email detailing all of the "likely" crimes these students would commit as they left. I'm certain the officers detailed there took it upon themselves to ensure these walkouts were as crime free as possible. I'll have to see how many trespassing and jaywalking tix were given out here....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

While I cant stand this issue because it borders on racism the way most people talk, I couldnt help but chuckle at an interview I heard on the radio.

Reporter talking to a youth at the capital on Wed.
"How do you feel about this issuse?

Youth - "We dont come here to make trouble, we come here to better our lives."

Reporter - "Did you skip class to come here today?"

Youth - "Yes"  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I cant stand this issue because it borders on racism the way most people talk, I couldnt help but chuckle at an interview I heard on the radio.

Reporter talking to a youth at the capital on Wed.
"How do you feel about this issuse?

Youth - "We dont come here to make trouble, we come here to better our lives."

Reporter - "Did you skip class to come here today?"

Youth - "Yes"  

..... walked into that one like a sliding glass door.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got done watching the news to get further appalled by the sickening scenes of protests in Mira Loma, CA. On one side of the street Hispanics were waving the Mexican flag and yelling at the people across the street who were waving American flags.

Something wrong here.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top