Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 6:58:53 PM EDT
I am wanting to start storing some food. I need some help sealing dried foods in 5 gallon buckets. I need to know where I can buy the buckets and anything else needed to do this. I will also need some help doing this as I never have.... Can Anyone out there help?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I would ask this over in the survival forum.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Dry ice works well to displace the O2 or you can use O2 packets that can be expensive. I did a lot of this pre-Y2K and still have over 20 6 1/2 gal buckets stored. Use a golfball size chunk at the bottom. Cover it with a paper towel and pour in your goods. Loosly cover it, so the O2 can escape, for about 2 hours. Then seal it and you're good to go. If the O2 didn't escape, you might have to "burp" it the next day and let the O2 out. The lid will be dome shaped rather than flat.

The thing about storing food is; you have to rotate your stock. I stored. (wheat, oatmeal, beans, etc) which have long shelf lives. Wheat lasts 25+ years stored though, so no worries of it going bad.

Get to know a Mormon in your area and go with him/her to the Cannery in Mesa. You can get food cheap there and you can even can it in #10 cans. It used to be you didn't have to be LDS to go there and pick up what you needed. Now you need to go with an LDS person. They have something like 22 different dry items you can buy from them.

I know there are a few LDS folks here on this board that might be able to help you out.

ETA: I got all my food grade buckets from Deering Foods in Tempe. I don't know if they still have stuff for sale to the general public. They're a bakery supply house that hopped on the Y2K craze and opened up shop where you could buy all kinds of stuff from them. You can also hit up Fry's bakery for food grade buckets. They have them for iceing. DO NOT get pickle buckets from McDonalds like some guys did unless you want all your food to taste like dill.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dry ice works well to displace the O2 or you can use O2 packets that can be expensive. I did a lot of this pre-Y2K and still have over 20 6 1/2 gal buckets stored. Use a golfball size chunk at the bottom. Cover it with a paper towel and pour in your goods. Loosly cover it, so the O2 can escape, for about 2 hours. Then seal it and you're good to go. If the O2 didn't escape, you might have to "burp" it the next day and let the O2 out. The lid will be dome shaped rather than flat.

The thing about storing food is; you have to rotate your stock. I stored. (wheat, oatmeal, beans, etc) which have long shelf lives. Wheat lasts 25+ years stored though, so no worries of it going bad.

Get to know a Mormon in your area and go with him/her to the Cannery in Mesa. You can get food cheap there and you can even can it in #10 cans. It used to be you didn't have to be LDS to go there and pick up what you needed. Now you need to go with an LDS person. They have something like 22 different dry items you can buy from them.

I know there are a few LDS folks here on this board that might be able to help you out.

ETA: I got all my food grade buckets from Deering Foods in Tempe. I don't know if they still have stuff for sale to the general public. They're a bakery supply house that hopped on the Y2K craze and opened up shop where you could buy all kinds of stuff from them. You can also hit up Fry's bakery for food grade buckets. They have them for iceing. DO NOT get pickle buckets from McDonalds like some guys did unless you want all your food to taste like dill.

AzRedneck is a wise man.

And go over to Survival.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
The survival forum is the place to ask.
They won't only answer your questions, about six guys will come over in their BOV's and help you.

Two guys will bring their MBR's 1 M1A and 1 FAL. While holding down the perimeter they will enter into a debate about said MBR's
which will eventually lead into a discussion about "Light's Out."

One guy will bring over some pinto beans he's had prior to Y2K and begin soaking them in water and baking soda for dinner that night
which will be cooked in a properly seasoned Dutch oven using Sterno for heat.

Another guy will be trying figure out a way to "harness" the fuel produced from said dinner for later use.

One guy will be using his water purifier to filter water from your pool and mixing it
with old flavored drink packs from MRE's stolen from .gov.

After dark the last guy will be learning just how crappy his 1st generation Russian NVG's really are.

You will manage to fill two-five gallon food grade containers 1 with Salt and one with Rice purchased from Food City.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The survival forum is the place to ask.
They won't only answer your questions, about six guys will come over in their BOV's and help you.

Two guys will bring their MBR's 1 M1A and 1 FAL. While holding down the perimeter they will enter into a debate about said MBR's
which will eventually lead into a discussion about "Light's Out."

One guy will bring over some pinto beans he's had prior to Y2K and begin soaking them in water and baking soda for dinner that night
which will be cooked in a properly seasoned Dutch oven using Sterno for heat.

Another guy will be trying figure out a way to "harness" the fuel produced from said dinner for later use.

One guy will be using his water purifier to filter water from your pool and mixing it
with old flavored drink packs from MRE's stolen from .gov.

After dark the last guy will be learning just how crappy his 1st generation Russian NVG's really are.

You will manage to fill two-five gallon food grade containers 1 with Salt and one with Rice purchased from Food City.

Sterno? Build your own fire you lazy bum!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

AzRedneck is a wise man.

And go over to Survival.

What if he doesn't want to? What are you gonna do about it?

And you're right about me being wise..Don't forget it!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#7]
So...

I have an HK 91 and a FAL (several actually), a BOV, food storage, and BOB.  

Where is the Newbie's house?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top