Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 4:01:26 PM EDT
I need a response to this.

Last Friday I purchased an AR from a gun dealer in Flagstaff (name withheld) for a reasonable price. It was an M4A2 for around $1100 including taxes. The gentleman that sold me the weapon was kind and somewhat talkative.  

I like to purchase things from people that are friendly and truly desire my business!

Anyhow, over the weekend I found an AK that was for sale on the equipment forum. I told the guy I'd like to get it as long as I could get a decent price on the transfer. Naturally, I went back to the dealer in Flagstaff who told me I would have to speak with the manager of the store (name withheld) in order to see if a deal could be made. Originally, the store wanted $50 for the transfer. I asked a couple of Arfcommers including the FFL I was going to get the AK from and they said I was getting ripped off.  According to them $20-$25 was normal.

Today, I went to speak with the manager. I told him that I just purchased an AR a couple of days ago from him. I even pointed out the guy that I bought it from who happened to be there. I explained that there was another FFL that I wanted to get the AK from and if he would reduce or even eliminate the price. NO SHAME IN ASKING!

Rudely he tells me that $50 is  the transfer and there is nothing he can do about it. I replied, "Even though I have already given you business." He replied "Sorry." I then told him that I knew he made a good profit already off me. He shrugged his shoulders and then said  again "there is nothing I can do" and proceeded with paperwork. His one real excuse was that he had to pay his employees and that the paperwork warranted the price. Good Excuse?

I am upset! Should I be?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
No Need to get really upset about it. Just remember NOT to shop there anymore. It would have been easy to find some way to help you out. I know that some shops have their prices set in stone but he could have been really nice and offered something to keep your business. Its a lesson learned and at least it didn't cost you a bunch of money to find out how the store treats people. Please tell us the Name of the store so that other Arfcommers in Flagstaff don't make the mistake of spending their money at this store.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No Need to get really upset about it. Just remember NOT to shop there anymore. It would have been easy to find some way to help you out. I know that some shops have their prices set in stone but he could have been really nice and offered something to keep your business. Its a lesson learned and at least it didn't cost you a bunch of money to find out how the store treats people. Please tell us the Name of the store so that other Arfcommers in Flagstaff don't make the mistake of spending their money at this store.

My intent is not ruin the store's reputation. I told the guy how I felt. I went through all the right steps. I just don't want othe Arfcommers to get screwed.

The store is RUFF'S SPORTING GOODS.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I went through this same thing, and more than once.  One store that I'd bought 3 guns from in the previous month refused to do a transfer for me at all if it was something they stocked or could get.  This was for AK receivers, they don't stock them and told me "we don't want to deal with that kind of stuff".

Another pawn shop (they've got mostly guns) agreed to transfer 3 AK receivers for me for $15 a piece if they were all going to the same person.  They did that for me and next time I was looking for a gun I bought it from them plus I'd stopped by and bought other items from them too.  I'd been dealing with the owner of this store.

Then about a month later I wanted 3 AR receivers.  I called the pawn shop up that did my AK receivers a month ago.  I talked someone other than the owner, and they told me the price had gone up, it would now be $20 a piece.  Ok, no problem.  I drop by when the receivers arrive and when I get there the counter guy (the owner is nowhere in sight) is looking at one of them.  He tells me that since there's no caliber markings it's illegal for him to transfer it.  I suggested to him that we call Stag Arms and ask them since they made them.  He gives me some load of shit about knowing more about gun laws than any gun manufacturer.  So I said I guess he'd have to send them back to Stag as defective.  He decided to go ahead and transfer them even though it was against his better judgement.  His next problem was that he didn't like the fact that my first name on my DL is Charles and on my CCW it's Chuck.  He proceeded to lecture me for 10 minutes on how my CCW is illegal and never should have been issued and I was breaking the law by carrying concealed.  I told him that if he didn't like my CCW then he could just call in for a background check.  He told me that he'd do that but the price would go up to $25 a piece.  By now I'm about as pissed as I can get, but all I want is to get my receivers and get out of the store.  So I told him I didn't give a shit, just make the fucking call.  He does and I check out ok.  So I hand him my credit card for the fee, he refuses to take it saying they don't accept CC's for transfer fees.  Well they did it last time without a complaint.  So I walk to the 7/11 next store, pay a $2.00 fee to use their cash machine, and go back and get my receivers.  I don't know whether that guy was just having a bad day or if he didn't like my face, but he did everything he could to make it tough on me and cost me extra money.

The next time I saw the owner of the shop at a gun show I told him about it and all he could do is just shrug his shoulders.  No apoligies, nothing.  I've never been back in that store and never will.

Over the years I've been treated like a red headed stepson by just about every gunstore I've been in at one time or another.  Having bought expensive guns from them seems to get you no special treatment.  I run my own business and I'm exactly the opposite, regular customers get extra good treatment.  Why are gun stores like this?  I just don't get it.

Which is why I now buy almost exclusively used guns from locals.  Or C&R guns with my C&R license.  When I need something new that has to be transferred I usually buy it from a dealer at the gunshow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
... Years ago I would buy a case of Budweiser, a few cigars, fishing license, a bunch of ammo, a Ruger SP101 and a Playboy magazine all in one stop @ Ruff's

... Ah, the good 'ole days
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... Years ago I would buy a case of Budweiser, a few cigars, fishing license, a bunch of ammo, a Ruger SP101 and a Playboy magazine all in one stop @ Ruff's

I loved gunstores as a kid growing up. My Dad would take me in with him, we'd hang out for hours, shoot some guns on the range in their back lot, trade hunting stories, and Dad might just buy a new gun, or trade one in, or get one modified or repaired.   I'm 48 so this was many years ago, but gun stores are vastly different today.

HD shops have undergone a similar transformation.  I remember hanging out in the local HD shop for hours, swapping lies, drinking beer, and maybe buying parts or getting some advice.  Or dropping off a case of beer and a bottle of Turkey in thanks for some favor done.  Not as long ago as my gun store experience with my Dad, but many moons ago, nonetheless.

The good 'ole days indeed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Most gunshops I have ever gone into are run by rude impatient know it all rednecks. I buy eveything I can off the web just so I don't have to deal with the morons. The friendly laid back gunstores are a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Theres a few dealers up here in Prescott that treat customers like dirt.  You can usually find out after a visit or two.  The sad thing is its usually just one or two of the employees, but the owner refuses to do anything about it.

Because of that, I will never purchase another firearm or accessory from High Country Gun and Knives (Even though theres an old couple there that is awseome, one of the other guys is a dick) and Prescott Valley Guns (alot of the guys are jerk-offs there).

Whereas stores like Bill's Trading Post (Just before High Country) and High Noon Shooting Gallery (in PV) will get all my business.  I have spent well over and hour in each store over the past week simply talking to the workers and customers.  One of the employees at High Noon let me play around with his SBR and insisted that I check out all of the different upper set ups that he was working on.  Its really nice to meet people that are that open to you (Im from GA so Im used to that kind of polite treatment).  Ive spent well over an hour talking to Bill at Bill's trading post about everything from calibers to Army stories and the like.  I would highly reccomend either of these dealers to anyone in the Prescott Area.

Also, say what you want about J&G, I have never had anyone there be anything but very courteous to myself or any of my friends when we were trying out most of the pistols that they had.  Its because of that service that I still purchase the majority of my ammo there.

Rick
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if their prices were set in stone, there are small things that an owner of a business can do to make it a more easy sale. A guitar store I go to here has the same prices as everyone else, but when I buy a guitar there I ask if they can throw in a case or a cable... sometimes they do both

Its called "Incentive" and because of these small gestures i would go back again.... and again... and again.

They just sold you a gun that they made 300.00 off of and they wont shave off 25.00-30.00 off?? to keep you coming back? Think about this... they losts HUNDREDS in profits from your future sales. oh well... they didnt even get your 50.00!!

There ya go guys... stand on your principles!!! BE RIGID... Its a GREAT way to grow your business
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Most gunshops I have ever gone into are run by rude impatient know it all rednecks. I buy eveything I can off the web just so I don't have to deal with the morons. The friendly laid back gunstores are a thing of the past.

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen to that.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen to that.

I think that the INTENTIONS of the gun store owners ORIGINALLY were the same as what you desire in a gun store. Nasty customers hardened them. I was the same way when I opened my business now some of these customers can go F*** off!

I TRIED to please everyone... You have to learn the old adage "You cant please everyone all of the time"

STILL doenst give them license to price gouge.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My father in law worked at Ruffs during college in the 70's

When I was in High school they would not sell me .357 ammo because I was underage to purchase handgun ammo.....I brought in my lever action .357 rifle and they sold it to me.

I loved that place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think that the INTENTIONS of the gun store owners ORIGINALLY were the same as what you desire in a gun store. Nasty Idiotic, Retarded, and Rude customers hardened them. I was the same way when I opened my business now some of these customers can go F*** off!

I TRIED to please everyone... You have to learn the old adage "You cant please everyone all of the time"

STILL doenst give them license to price gouge.

w00t!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Al at Shooters Shoppe in Youngtown, AZ is a guy you can go in a shoot the shit with. Once he knows you aren't just there to jerk him around. He answered a lot of my questions about gun laws in AZ since I came from PRK. I don't know what it is about gun shops, but I do find the same attitude at HD stores and also guitar stores. Too many look-e-loos I guess.

When I bought my Harley you could go in, sit on the bikes, chat with the sales guys and no one pressured you. Last time I was in Hacienda Harley in Scottsdale just buying a few birthday presents for my buddies they were hounding me about a bike. I said I already had one. The guy goes "well buy another!". I said "how many can YOU ride at one time?" But they have switched to a high pressure group.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Drive down here, I'll do it for $15.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Drive down here, I'll do it for $15.hr

Where are you?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes, you could have got it done here in Pheonix for $20-$25, but there are about 20x more FFL's..  I don't see they guy being unreasonable. Even though he didn't have to buy/stock the gun, he is shouldering the SAME LIABILITY as if he did. Insurance rates (for gun stores) are actually re-evaluated every year and if you sell more guns, you have to pay more. It costs ALOT of money to keep a store-front FFL open AND your in Flagstaff.

Stop bringing reality into this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Also, say what you want about J&G, I have never had anyone there be anything but very courteous to myself or any of my friends when we were trying out most of the pistols that they had.  Its because of that service that I still purchase the majority of my ammo there.

Rick

I think the negativity about J&G is because people haven't actually been in the store, they just see them at gunshows.  And I regularly 'pass' on stopping at the J&G table 'cause you can't get any help with 8 bazillion people trying to buy stuff from them.

I love the J&G store.  I just wish I didn't have to drive 2 hours to get there.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Being a Prescott valley resident I need to speak up for my good friends at Prescott Valley Guns. I agree that High Country Guns (or as I refer to them, High Priced Guns) the guys are mostly idiot assholes who like to tell war stories while simultaneously gouging you on the price. I have not and will not buy anything from them.
Bill's Trading post is awesome and Bill will order anything for you for a cheap price and transfer fee, plus there is the added bonus of Bill talking to you for as long as you please.
J&G is fine as long as you don't mind being in a gun store with 20 people who are all buying the $80 SKS or $60 8mm Mauser. But seriously, their ammo prices have gone up recently and I can get my ammo cheaper (and USA made!) at Wal-Mart. It's not that they are a bad place, but they mostly sell used stuff and foreign ammo. However, if you need some work done on a firearm, talk to Chris, the gunsmith there. He is a good friend of mine and does amazing work, especially on Glocks, ARs, and 1911s.
High Noon is a great place to go especially since it is an indoor range that's open until 7p. Everyone there is very cool and you can find an answer to almost any problem you have, plus they will talk until you pass out or run away!
Now we come back to PV Guns. I agree that a lot of guys there are blowhards, but their prices are pretty decent on guns, but not ammo. I have bought a majority of my guns from them so I have gotten to know a couple of the guys very well. If you need something go in and talk to Carl or Keith. There is a couple of young guys who work there who are pretty smart, but aren't there a lot.
Anyways, that's my very long plug on Prescott area gun stores. Give PV Guns a second chance please as they have not ever done me wrong.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
TAGGY TAG
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I have made a few purchases at PV Guns (WASR 10 and a S&W pistol).  I have also done 2 FFL transfers through them.  That said, none were particularly pleasant experiences.  They also do not allow the carrying of firearms in their store.  With the other options available, I will not be returning to PV Guns for as long as I am lving in Prescott Valley.  I dont need to be talked down to/ignored.  I can get that for free elsewhere.

Rick
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been a customer, an employee and a gunsmith in more than a few gunshops over the years. In my experience, on both sides of the counter, the attutude that a person takes into a shop is reflected back in the attitude of the gunshop employees and gunsmiths.

There is always a customer who thinks they know everything, just as there is always an employee who think they are some sort of celebrity and deserves special consideration. Asshats are on BOTH sides of the counter on occasion.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#24]
How did the Frige-monster find this thread? I thought he wasnt AZ
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Pang 1179 has no friends... his wife pays me 20.00 a week to be his friend

Nah, I check up on Pang1179 from time to time to make sure he doesnt get out of line. He is one of my best friends and former neighbor. CA lost a good guy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pang 1179 has no friends... his wife pays me 20.00 a week to be his friend

Nah, I check up on Pang1179 from time to time to make sure he doesnt get out of line. He is one of my best friends and former neighbor. CA lost a good guy.

Damn it!! Stop trolling my posts!!

I left California for a reason.
Just messin.' Frigy was the best neighbor you could have and an awesome friend.

Arizona is lacking a great guy and his family.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#27]
In Flag, go over to The Ammo Place in East Flag.  I'm certain they will do it for a more reasonable price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top