Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 9:48:29 AM EDT
I am in North Phoenix, right about I-17 and the Loop 101 (13th Ave and Peoria, to be exact).  Thinking of BBQing a few steaks, putting out a bowl of chips, and either poker or darts.  Anyone interested?  I know it is short notice, but I just thought of it.

The beer's on me, but you need a DD if you're going to drink.  Please, no drinking and driving.  Camy can take you home if need be, and your car will be safe here.  Or I can give you the money for a cab if you can't afford it and don't have a DD.  Or you can crash on my couch/floor/dog/porch.  But I screwed up my life with DUI's, and I don't want to see it happen to anyone else.  

Anyone interested?  Post here and I'll PM you my phone number for exact directions.  

I was thinking of about 1900 or so, but earlier or later is fine with me.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I made (homemade) 20# of brat's for the Superbowl and nobody had a party! I gave most of them away to my son because I'm the only one who will eat them in my house. Next month when cabbage goes on sale for St. Pat's Day, I'll be making and canning about 30# of homemade sauerkraut. I'll have to make more brats once that's fermented and canned (about 2 months)

We'll have to have another party then. Gotta find pork on sale cheap..I make ALL pork brats. I like pork! My religion doesn't preclude me from eating pork either. Boil them in beer, onions and butter and throw then on the grill. I even put beer in the meat before I put it in casings.

Next time for sure...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Man, I made (homemade) 20# of brat's for the Superbowl and nobody had a party! I gave most of them away to my son because I'm the only one who will eat them in my house. Next month when cabbage goes on sale for St. Pat's Day, I'll be making and canning about 30# of homemade sauerkraut. I'll have to make more brats once that's fermented and canned (about 2 months)

We'll have to have another party then. Gotta find pork on sale cheap..I make ALL pork brats. I like pork! My religion doesn't preclude me from eating pork either. Boil them in beer, onions and butter and throw then on the grill. I even put beer in the meat before I put it in casings.

Next time for sure...

Damn!  That sounds good!  Try hitting up Genesis 13 for wild pork...  He just took a HUGE ferrel hog and posted here with pics.  I know him well, and I have no doubt he'd offfer some up for the wild gamey taste.  

BTW:  Did you get the emails and PM I sent you?  I have been having some PM problems through the site, so I just want to double check.

Oh, and not really a party tonight.  Just want to throw some darts or play some poker, and I thought if there were a few here not doing anything I'd invite them.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Az_Redneck.... Richardh247 is Correct. I just shot a 350 Ferrel Pig and have a little extra Pork Laying around....... I got an entire Hind leg quarter (40 to 50 pounds at least) I would be willing to donate lotsa Pork for some homeade Brats...... Wanna work something out?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Az_Redneck.... Richardh247 is Correct. I just shot a 350 Ferrel Pig and have a little extra Pork Laying around....... I got an entire Hind leg quarter (40 to 50 pounds at least) I would be willing to donate lotsa Pork for some homeade Brats...... Wanna work something out?

Absofrigginlutly! We'll talk within the next couple weeks..BIG ol brat party! w00t!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
40-50# is a LOT of sausage! 20# made about 50 6-8" brats... I have the stuff (spices) for making breakfast sausage that I need to use. It's HOT and I don't care for hot breakfast sausage, so we can also use it up.

I am corning 2 4# cross rib roasts in the fridge right now for St. Pat's Day.. When they're done I boil them up and then throw them on the BBQ for added flavor... Much better than the injected crap the stores sell....

How much would that hind quarter weigh boned out? And aren't ferrel pigs pretty lean? I have about 10# of pork fat in my freezer I can add to it. Maybe have a "sausage stuffing party"... (I can hear the jokes and metaphores now)..
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I am cordially inviting myself  

You know, just to save y'all the trouble and all.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Next time for sure...

I did some canned kimchee that turned out pretty darned good, but I'd like to try saurkrat too.  Got a recipe you care to share as your favorite?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next time for sure...

I did some canned kimchee that turned out pretty darned good, but I'd like to try saurkrat too.  Got a recipe you care to share as your favorite?

Get yourself a 5 gal bucket that is CLEAN and preferably food grade. Get yourself some cabbage and some pickling salt (you can use table salt as long as it doesn't have iodine in it).. Cut up cabbage to sauerkraut thickness and drop in bucket. Sprinkle 3 tbs salt per 5# of cabbage on top and mix to coat. Put a dinner plate on top and some kind of weight. I use 2 1qt Mason jars filled with water. Some use a brick covered in foil. But, if the foil touches the juice, you might have problems. Cover top of bucket with a towel loosly. Put in closet for a week. Clean off plate and replace. Put in closet for another week and clean off plate again. Repeat as necessary. It'll look scummy and it should. That's what collects on the plate during fermenting. After about 2 months or when you no longer see bubbles, it's ready. Cook it for about 20 minutes and then put in clean sterile jars. Seal and give them a water bath for 10 minutes. You're done. Shelf it.

If there's not enough juice, you can make a brine of 2 tbsp salt to 1qt water and add it to the cabbage.

It only smells when you open the closet and it's not that bad...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top