Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 7:52:11 PM EDT
Hi All, We just got back from our Ferrell Pig hunt at the Big Horn Canyon Ranch in California. It was a Blast, Well 2 to be exact!

We got there yesterday and went for a little look around.... We saw Many Ram and Boar running their 1,000 acre Hilly Ranch and I got pretty excited! Hardly slept at all last night.

We went back to the ranch this morning at around 9am and told the people there I was wanting to take a Ferrell Pig and really wanted a 75 to 200 yard shot. They said they would put us over a water hole and drove us down into the canyon.
On the way to the waterhole we saw a couple small pigs sunning themself. We stopped to take a look and noticed this HUGE 350+ pound Ferrell Pig under a bush. The Guide set the dog loose and asked if I wanted this pig? Just about that time he stepped into the open at about 25 yards. HUGE HUGE HUGE was all I could think. I was setup for a longer range shot but adjusted for the short distance and took a shot at the Pig when he was running Full Boar! Direct hit just behind the front shoulder and he dropped in his tracks [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif] The guide asked me to shoot him again just to ensure the animal didn't get back up.  

This was the most excitement I've had in a while.... They loaded up the Pig and we went back up to the top of the canyon. This pig Dressed out with no skin or head, weighted in at just over 250 pounds...... I got lotsa Pork!!

Below are a couple pics.The last pic is the 175 Quart cooler the meat went into and I just couldn't get the lid closed.  We'll be going back in a couple months!!!!

Beautiful Place, Smoking Service and a Great Hunt!!!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
This story without the pics wouldnt have been nearly as exciting. The pics bring it home.. Nice kill..  

You have more info on this place you went out to?

Thanks,

Dan
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Price of hunt and details on place are needed. Been wanting to do that for a long time now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Man!  You sure do like KILLING animals!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys.. The ranch info can be found at www.bighorncanyonranch.com  This pig was $325. The ranch is only about 4 hrs from Phoenix. The drive isn't that bad and the ranch even has a Bunkhouse that you may be able to use. If its available its a FREE place to sleep. I'l probably be going back in the next 2 or 3 months.... Do I hear a Group Hunting Trip?

MarkM... I LOVE Killing animals BUT  Not as much as I like Eating them
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey Genesis...ummm How about sending some of that pork this way? The meat I had at Richard's was the SHIZNIT!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey 4thHorseman.... I can arrange for you to get some of this Piggie I just spent 2 hours Cutting, grinding and seasoning! I gots 25+ pounds of Fresh Sausage
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Umm, despite my fear of having to ask, I will. Do they offer a gutting and cleaning service?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Umm, despite my fear of having to ask, I will. Do they offer a gutting and cleaning service?

Why YES they do.... $25 for a cleaning, gutting, caping (For head Mount) and quartering the animal and putting it in the cooler..... Can't beat the price

I usualy do my own but sometimes its hard to Not let them do it for only $25
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks Guys.. The ranch info can be found at www.bighorncanyonranch.com  This pig was $325. The ranch is only about 4 hrs from Phoenix. The drive isn't that bad and the ranch even has a Bunkhouse that you may be able to use. If its available its a FREE place to sleep. I'l probably be going back in the next 2 or 3 months.... Do I hear a Group Hunting Trip?

MarkM... I LOVE Killing animals BUT  Not as much as I like Eating them

I would be all over a group hunt.
ETA Whats the best round outa AR15 for hog?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would be all over a group hunt.
ETA Whats the best round outa AR15 for hog?

Not sure about the best round outa an AR15 for Hog BUT I can tell you that AR15's are a BIG NO NO in Comifornia
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
might have to load up some 250 grain barnes all copper HPs for my 454 casull
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why YES they do.... $25 for a cleaning, gutting, caping (For head Mount) and quartering the animal and putting it in the cooler..... Can't beat the price

I usualy do my own but sometimes its hard to Not let them do it for only $25

I'm in for a hog and one of these....damn, I did'nt know I could get an Ibex so close to home.

ETA: Is this really where this place is?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup, I had a REALLY nice Ibex in my scope on Sunday

The Actual Ranch is closer to Redlands exit off of the US60. The directions are really easy. Take the I-10 to the US60 the exit Redlands. Take a right go 1.8 miles turn right. Go up and over the mountain, drive some really scary roads for another mile to the top of another mountain. You are there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey Genesis...ummm How about sending some of that pork this way? The meat I had at Richard's was the SHIZNIT!

I Agree!!! After and Overnight cure and 8 hours in the smoker This is one of the cuts I have from this piggie! Homemade Thick Cut BACON!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good. Hopefully I will be able to go with you next time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Guess whats in the Smoker today......
How about a 25 pound Ham

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#17]
you guys went hunting on some farm
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Not too far from where my house is....
We call that area the 'Badlands'  It's a rift zone south of the San Andreas Fault line between Redlands/Yucaipa on the north and Moreno Valley on the south.

Terraserver
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I am so going!!!!!!!!!!!thinkin about taking my S&W 5"629 and Win 94 44mag.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you guys want me to put together a Group trip send me a PM.. I'll see what I can do about setting it up... The next hunt I do out there will either be with a Crossbow or SPEAR!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
screw spear, I want to rig up some welding gloves with a few knives on them to do some hand to hand hunting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I IM'd you a couple days ago not sure if you got it. If you have a chance call me.

Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the hook-up Genesis. YOU DA MAN!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Jackal... IM sent........

4th_Horseguy... No Problems
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
you guys went hunting on some farm

In the middle of the city.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Sure looks like fun.  What was your cost per pound for the meat when all expenses were factored in?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Total cost per pound after all expenses is right at $2.25 a pound. $450 for the entire trip/ 200 pounds of meat in the freezer AND that includes: 2- 25 to 30 pound hams, Lotsa fresh Bacon, LOTSA fresh Sausage, Many Boneless Loin Chops and at least 6 Roasts. Try to beat that price per pound in the Grocery store!

I am also working on Transfering an Old Turkish Mauser into a Custom Spear for the next trip.... I'll probably be going back in the next month or two
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top