Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:18:17 AM EDT
Ok guys..in the never-ending quest to shed pounds off my fat ass, I have decided to start hiking again. I havent done it since the killer humps in ACT, Camp Devildog, SC. But I have lost 60 pounds since last October. Anyways, the wife and I are taking some time off from one another and I want some active activity to participate in, preferrably on Saturdays. Any suggestions on where I can break-in myself?? Desert trail or canyon...a few hours long, not too hilly?? Great views a plus! I was thinking some where over by the Superstitions??? Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Her's a link with lots of maps of the trails around the Superstition area:
superstition-sar.org/maps.htm

As for advice, start slow, wear appropriate footwear, and take plenty of water.
If you need rescue from this area at least you'll have a couple of members from here and the "other" site coming to get you.
Check out the photo area, you might recognize a few people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Slinger! I hope my broken in combat boots are appropriate. Thinking about wearing fatigue bottoms and pack my deuce gear, side-arm, two canteens and a camelbak. Snake-bite kit, fire-kit and two MREs in my butt-pack with my cell-phone. What else am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll tell you what, a good hiking staff is always a great help.
And don't forget a good sturdy knife!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...What else am I missing?

Just some small items...  like a map and compass! Or a GPS, the cell phone is damn near useless if you don't know where you are.  Always carry a headlamp or flashlight.   I also carry a piece of Reflectix (silver bubble wrap) about 18"x36" to fold up and sit on, or to lay on for those unexpected delays in getting to the parking lot.  A large trash bag also serves as a poncho, windbreaker, and if you have 2, a sleeping bag.

One other thing, the trails in the Sups are very rocky and in poor condition.  I would recommend mid length hiking boots and tie them snug for downhill.  Look in the 'obscure hike' thread for a pic taken 1/22 on my last hike in the Sups.  

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and lose the snakebite kit.  I think we have a few months before those boys show themselves.

Mike
SR108
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That's why I wanted a somewhat easy trail to start of with. I failed all my compass courses in boot and ACT! Started off in Camp Lejeune.....as a 10 mile roundtrip, night navigation course...almost ended up in Cherry Point! I want to start off on a well-beaten path so I dont end up on Fox 10 news! I am thinking of the Peralta Trail to start off....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Water.

More water.

Oh yeah, and some water.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top