Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:44:54 AM EDT
My buddy and I are looking to shoot some coyote's.  We have now been out 6 times (between 5-8:30am) in the Mobile area and have only managed to call in one (of course we didn't get a shot on it due to our own incompitance).   I would love to hear of any hot spots and strategies that any of you have  to share.

We typically set up a stand in an area that we know coyote's dwell, set an electronic call and wait, and wait and wait.  We are using a "Predator Electronic Call" that was purchased for $20 at Sportsmans Wharehouse.  The frustrating part is that we called one in with it the very first time we went, but from then on; nothing...  

We need a kill!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about that area.  However, when I'm hunting predators in AZ with an electronic call, I will typically remain at one location for only 15-20 minutes.  It has been my experience that if nothing comes in after 15-20 minutes, then nothing is going to come in, no matter how long you sit out there.  If nothing comes in after 15-20 minutes, move on to the next setup and try again.  

Also, make sure you're not blowing your cover.  Check your camo, use the wind to your advantage, don't slam the car door when you get out, don't move around a lot, etc.  It doesn't take much to scare them off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Guber, I know some of the time our cover has not been the best.  Moving always seems like it will give away your position, but that is the second or third time I have heard that advise and will likely try that the next time out.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been up to Table Mesa before the sun comes up a couple of time and have heard a mess of them running around yelping. Might be worth a look as there is water running year round in the Aqua Fria River feeding into Lake Pleasant. When not on lake property it's a mix of private, State Trust, and BLM land.

Happy Trails
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That is beautiful information!  This is the kind of nugget we were looking for.  I will check some maps and find out what land is kosher to shoot on and we will check that out.  

Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Exit 236 on I17. Right side of the freeway is State Trust and the left side is mixed. We plink up there quite a bit.

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up a piece of road-kill on your way to where you're going to hunt. Put it out awhile and wait. If there are coyotes, they will come to check it out.

Incidently, ever notice that nothing really will go and eat coyote road-kill. Other stuff is gone in a day, but a coyote will linger on the roadside for a while.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't wait to try this stuff out!  Road kill!  Makes total sense...  I will be watching like a hawk.  Have any of you ever tried bringing out ground beef or any other raw meat?  This idea came to mind a while back, but I wasn't sure what the specific law was concerning baiting coyote.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pick up a piece of road-kill on your way to where you're going to hunt. Put it out awhile and wait. If there are coyotes, they will come to check it out.

Incidently, ever notice that nothing really will go and eat coyote road-kill. Other stuff is gone in a day, but a coyote will linger on the roadside for a while.

I didn't know it was legal to bait in AZ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
www.azpredatorcallers.com/

I'd call game and fish about using bait.   It's not something you want to end up having to dicuss with a game and fish warden.    
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that it is safe to move this conversation away from baiting and back to where and how to hunt the elusive coyote...  Any additional info will be considered a blessing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top