Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 4:09:54 AM EDT
... Perfect weather lately for hiking.

... If you personally know of any that left an impression on you, please post it.

... I'll start: Barnhardt Trail www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Arizona/Tonto/Mazatzal4.htm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to check out www.hikearizona.com/. Lots of trails there with various people's logs etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
How long of a day hike are you planning?  3-4 miles or 25ish miles.  I know people who think both are day hikes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big fan of 4 peaks, myself...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Drove up to the top of Mt. Lemmon this Monday. Did more driving than actual hiking I think, but it was still a pleasant experience none the less. It was just so cool going from a climate resembling Mexico to one resembling Canada. Here are some pictures I took:
Mt. Lemmon day trip

My personal favorite:
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Not so obscure: Peralta TH, Bluff Springs, Cave, Fremont Saddle(great view of Weaver's Needle), down Peralta.  Another: First Water TH: Dutchman, Caballos, up Black Mesa, Garden Valley, down First Water or Hackberry.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember going out to Peralta Trail years ago.  We'd hump some guns and even do some shooting.

Then we tried going out there just a couple years ago and it looked like frickin' Disney land with all the kids and soccer moms.  We couldn't leave our weapons in the car, so we had to hike with them.  I don't remember getting any nasty looks, though.  We kept it as discrete as possibe.

I've never been back since.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Siphon Draw up to the Flatiron.

Not obscure at all, but a hell of a view.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Drove up to the top of Mt. Lemmon this Monday. Did more driving than actual hiking I think, but it was still a pleasant experience none the less. It was just so cool going from a climate resembling Mexico to one resembling Canada. Here are some pictures I took:
Mt. Lemmon day trip

My personal favorite:
img289.imageshack.us/img289/2300/im0006936rf.jpg

... Nice photos, awesome spot - thanks!

... We did Squaw Peak for a quick run Saturday. The thick smog kinda ruined the view though.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#9]
im fairly new to this area, and learning places.. ive only done part of flat iron, and peralta to the saddle.  I want to get a few overnights in next.  Im doing the classic s. kaibab in bright angel out in march with a friend from minnesota.

if yall dont know, i'm dept head for the Mountain shop(camping/fishing/hiking) dept at sport chalet in chander.  come visit me!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Freeride buddy, anytime you want to hike the Sups, drop me an IM.  I'm doing the Weaver's Needle loop, from Peralta TH, this Saturday.  That would be Bluff Springs, Terrapin, Needle Cut-off, Peralta and down from the Saddle.  Round trip is less than 6 hours.

Weaver's Needle looking east:

Route and profile:

Mike
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from the hike around the Needle.  5 hours, 14 minutes, 12.9 miles on the GPS, with 35 lbs in my pack.

If anybody wants to hike the Sups, drop me an IM.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just got back from the hike around the Needle.  5 hours, 14 minutes, 12.9 miles on the GPS, with 35 lbs in my pack.

If anybody wants to hike the Sups, drop me an IM.

Mike

... Sounds very interesting, we'll definitely be looking you up in a few weeks. We did a copule shorter hike around Flagstaff this past Sat & Sun - cool, but nice out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Peralta and down from the Saddle.

... We did Peralta to the Saddle yesterday. Up and back in about 3 hours, ate lunch at the top. Beautiful weather, great hike. We actually ran much of the not-too-rocky stretches.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Friend and I walked through Bear Canyon to Seven Falls a couple weeks ago. Four miles to the falls and four miles back. We were really dumb and started late, so we didn't make it to the falls until about 5pm and had to race the setting sun on our way out. Good thing I had my Surefire.

Bear Canyon - Seven Falls

The setting sun did some crazy things with the camera and rock face. Check it:

I love how everything in the foreground looks gray. I did not touch this picture with photoshop, it just naturally turned out this way.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Where are some decent, but semi-challenging trails in the Flagstaff area that I can take my 3 1/2 year old boy on? Did a couple of trails near the Country Club; they were nice but a little on the bland side for terrain. Beautiful trees though!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

... Friend and I walked through Bear Canyon to Seven Falls

Excellent find!

... We've never done it, so the next on the winter hike on the list is Camelback Mountain. Not this weekend but next.

... Followed by Barnhardt Trail www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Arizona/Tonto/Mazatzal6.htm

... Sedona as it warms up (relatively speaking)
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:15:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Usery Park has a couple of nice trails. Wind cave is a quick one (about 1.5 miles) to the top. Gets a little steep towards the end depending on how good a shape you are.  For a more extended hike of around 7 miles is Pass Mountain trail. There's some nice views on the north side. I try to time my hikes so that I can see the fountain going off at Fountain Hills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top