Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 12:34:39 AM EDT
What do you guys think of this place?  Is it worth the drive from east mesa?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have never been there, it is worth the drive.  They have a great indoor shooting facility and a large machine gun rental inventory.  They also have a FATS machine and just opened a shoot house.  With all that said, thier retail prices are a tad high.  I am a member of the club and have been treated well.  If you live in east mesa it may not be a regular place to shoot, just due to the distance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Excelent place to go once in a while. Excelent place to try things you've never seen before, and quite immpressive lanes they have. Just a little spendyhinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice, high-class, lot's of cool toys!  Only problem is the cost.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not cheap but where else can you go and have this much fun with your clothes on!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice place no doubt.

I go in with the uniorm on one day after work, I got two guys falling all over themselves to help me.

I go in on another day in my standard jeans/hiking boots/untucked shirt and a couple days beard from being off....all of a sudden, I'm the leper.

Once they found out I was there to pick-up a weapon I'd ordered, they were all smiles though.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I just joined a couple of days ago because they are so close to my house.  Proximity is the only reason I joined.  If I shoot twice a month, the membership pays for itself.  I got in today for $50 down and $29/month.

Pros: Beautiful range and huge inventory.

Cons: The staff caters to people who don't know anything like guns, so they will talk to you like you are an idiot.  The range only goes out to 75 feet.  The prices are outrageous, although their "specials" for members are actually not bad deals.  Right now they have used military Beretta M9s for $400 and Bushmaster A2s for $600.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
it's like a yacht club, but with guns. They have stuff there that you usually never get to see along with your basic stuff that every store has, but it's $14 for a bottle of water. If you can afford it, I would recommend joining (I can't though, so you won't see me there). As for worth a one day trip, yes it is.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Cons: The staff caters to people who don't know anything like guns, so they will talk to you like you are an idiot.  

+1

I was there yesterday and the guy that "helped" me thought of himself very highly.  Not only did he not know what he was talking about, but he did not take into account that his customer may have many more "real world" schools & experience than his experience of running a gun range or being the Scottsdale Tactical Master.

To their credit, they do have some high-speed guys working there who do know what they are doing.  Some of their guys do actually take the time to listen and conduct an intelligent experience.

TS
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just joined a couple of days ago because they are so close to my house.  Proximity is the only reason I joined.  If I shoot twice a month, the membership pays for itself.  I got in today for $50 down and $29/month.

Pros: Beautiful range and huge inventory.

Cons: The staff caters to people who don't know anything like guns, so they will talk to you like you are an idiot.  The range only goes out to 75 feet.  The prices are outrageous, although their "specials" for members are actually not bad deals.  Right now they have used military Beretta M9s for $400 and Bushmaster A2s for $600.

Do they let you bring your ASA stuff?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Sheepdog....had that same experience. Went in there after work in a uni and they were eager to help. Then went in later on in the week and no one made eye contact....walked out and bought my stuff online.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sheepdog....had that same experience. Went in there after work in a uni and they were eager to help. Then went in later on in the week and no one made eye contact....walked out and bought my stuff online.

That's so weird.  I went in there the other day and I looked like walking death and was wearing nasty clothes.  I was picking up my gun and was sick as hell with the flu/strep.  I just wanted to be left alone.  I got offered help so many freaking times that I actually ended up going down the hall by the bathrooms and waited on a bench for them to finish installing them.  Even then, they wouldn't leave me the hell alone and kept checking up on me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's so weird.  I went in there the other day and I looked like walking death and was wearing nasty clothes.  I was picking up my gun and was sick as hell with the flu/strep.  I just wanted to be left alone.  I got offered help so many freaking times that I actually ended up going down the hall by the bathrooms and waited on a bench for them to finish installing them.  Even then, they wouldn't leave me the hell alone and kept checking up on me.

Probaly thought you were going to rob them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probaly thought you were going to rob them.

Or barf all over their trillion dollar titanium-plated carpet.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:59:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Who is that directed towards?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:17:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You and everyone else who complains about not getting help when they go in there dressed like scrubs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm among the first to complain about prices there, but I have had no problem with the staff. In fact, I was in there a couple of weeks ago and had a really good discusion with one of the guys about their HK demo firearms that are for sale. He went above and beyond as far as I'm concerned, since he went as far as to go back to an office with internet access and looked up the rules for USPSA production division to determine if a particular pistol I was looking at would qualify (too bad it didn't).

It's definitely a place where you need to know what the market value is of a particular firearm. They have some good deals, and some stuff is overpriced.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#18]
First off ASU174......It was not a complaint, it was an observation. The question was posted as to experience with SGC. Second, and more important, you have no clue as to what I was wearing either time. My point was, that even in jeans and a nice shirt, they give you the impression that you ducked under the Velvet rope out front. As a member of this site, I think it is within your best interest to not call others "scrubs", that is not what this site is about. If you want to name call, go over to the AK47 site.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
First off ASU174......It was not a complaint, it was an observation. The question was posted as to experience with SGC. Second, and more important, you have no clue as to what I was wearing either time. My point was, that even in jeans and a nice shirt, they give you the impression that you ducked under the Velvet rope out front. As a member of this site, I think it is within your best interest to not call others "scrubs", that is not what this site is about. If you want to name call, go over to the AK47 site.

Dude, I never called you anything.  You asked who Garryowen's comment was directed toward and I responded.  I don't give a shit what you wear.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for your timely response.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the answers to my question.  I went there yesterday and bought a Glock 34 and a gemtech trinity suppressor.  They gave me the LE discount on the Glock; $475 for a glock 34 with three 17 round mags.  Not bad!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Do they give good LE/Mil discounts?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Do they give good LE/Mil discounts?

Sticker price was $550; LE discount price was $475.  I'm not sure what all the LE discount applies to, though.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been paying a lot closer attention to the salespeople when I go in there.  Yes, some are snobby, but most of them are very helpful for customers who have no experience with guns.  They can almost justify having higher prices than most places because of the help you will get as a newbie.  

I bought my first guns from shithole dealers based on price and I immediately regretted all of the purchases I made with them.  At least at SGC, you know you will be getting a quality firearm and a decent level of service and instruction.

Since all of us are on an AR-15 forum, I doubt any of us need the 101 on handguns.  But think about sending someone who knows nothing about guns to a dealer in town......  I can't think of too many dealers I would really trust.

Anyhow, if you are local you should really check it out.  I used to be anti-SGC, but am changing my mind slowly about them as I better realize that many of their salespeople aren't trained to adapt to the needs of more experienced customers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Everytime I go there its the same experience.  

Maybe 4 or 5 of the monkeys will be around some customer on the floor trying to get them to buy some gun marked 50% above MSRP while one monkey works behind the counter trying to help the 10 people waiting to get on the range.  

I absolutely hate that place and refuse to go there anymore.  For the amount of people they have working and for the price youa re paying their customer service absolutely sucks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You and everyone else who complains about not getting help when they go in there dressed like scrubs.

I have gone in after work in business casual and still was treated like shit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#28]
And I forgot to mention about the sales monkeys who work there.......

YOU DONT NEED TO ASK ME 10 BAZILLION TIMES IF I WANT A MEMBERSHIP, I DONT WANT A MEMBERSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top