Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
Is your real estate market still riding high?  I know that Phoenix and the surrounding area
had really increased in the last two years.  Has the rest of Arizona gotten as high as Phoenix?

A little background:
I was all set to move to Arizona before my brother died two years ago. He had lived in North Phoenix since 1979 and I had wanted to move closer to him.  Once he died, however,  I decided to stay put here in Colorado but lately I've  been researching areas to relocate to again.  I had crossed Arizona off my list since the prices had gone so goofy but I'm wondering if thats still the case or if real estate prices are starting to level off.

Thanks in advance for any info. I know I could call the real estate agent I was working with
2 years ago but I'd like to hear the straight (no sales B.S.) scoop.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You're better off buying land on the moon then spending money moving here....

Besides, we're full.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The middle class has been all but priced out of buying a home in a decent area in or near Phoenix.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Besides, we're full.

AMEN to THAT!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Soon the collapsing bubble because of an inflated buying frenzy supported by interest only loans and speculation purchases may still leave first time buyers priced out.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
It's leveled off, but whether it will 'burst' or not depends on who you asked.

I could not afford to buy the house I bought four years ago, that 's for sure.  

I say it's whacky.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate your candor.
I don't think I want to move to the valley but was looking more toward either Wickenburg or the Apache Junction areas.  I'd rather stay out of the metro mess in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever heard the term "Higher than a cat's ass?" In 1995 I paid 67,500 for my 1200 sq ft hovel, today smaller, one bath single car garage houses in my neighborhood are going for 170,000 to 185,000.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't think I want to move to the valley but was looking more toward either Wickenburg or the Apache Junction areas.  I'd rather stay out of the metro mess in Phoenix.

Apologies to anyone here who lives in AJ...well, not really since you could always move -
Anyway, I'd go to Casa Grande, Florence, Buckeye or the like before AJ.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Prescott Valley, and real estate is so expensive here that my wife and I cannot find a 2 bed, 2 bath home for ourselves and our son under $200,000. Since when is it impossible for a guy who makes $50,000 a year to find a good home? For the first time in my life, I am considering moving out of AZ - just so I can buy a damn house!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad news, AJ is now fully connected to and considered part of the valley, so is Queen Creek.
Florence Juntion, Casa Grand and Maricopa city are the outskirts on the east side.

The gap between Sun City and Phoenix is filled in and they are fast building out to Wikenburg ( the two lane parts of the 60 is a kamakazi drive at rush hour).

I'm out in Buckeye and all the farm land will be gone in a few more years, the city council approved the general plans for 300,000 houses.

Cheap houses can still be had out in Tonopah, 411th ave.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Cheap houses can still be had out in Tonopah, 411th ave.

Yeah, thats only a 60 mile drive to my workplace, each way!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:31:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apologies to anyone here who lives in AJ...well, not really since you could always move -
Anyway, I'd go to Casa Grande, Florence, Buckeye or the like before AJ.

Wow. Have you actually been to AJ or Casa Grande in the last few years? City of AJ quit passing out the meth lab kits 5 years ago when Casa Grande started. I think english is the third language in Casa Grande right after Pima Indian and mexican. Makes AJ look like Scottsdale.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#13]
IM sent.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
A former Scottsdale resident chiming in here.
The bubble has begun to burst here in Marco Island. Median has dropped from 600K
to 550K. What once was 1.3 mil in the water goes for 950K. Went up too fast in 04'.
120 day inventory on hand here on the tiny island of 15000 year round residents.
A few more hurricanes and they will giving a way houses here.
The Valley of the sun WAS paradise. TOOO crowded now. Glad I left. No offense gang.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Our neighborhood went from a 140k to over 200k at the peak of the market with the 2nd to last house going for 217k.   Houses used to be sold within a few days of hitting the market.

The last house sat empty for almost five months and went for 190k.  Glendale at least seems headed back down to reasonable levels.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's crazy.... I bought my house for $159K 6 years ago (got a screaming deal because the seller was in pre-foreclosure and just wanted out). One of my neighbors recently sold theirs (a smaller floorplan with a car port, not a garage like I have) for a little over $400K. I'm guesstimating that based on how crazy the market was a few months ago, I probably could have gotten $425K for mine. That's just crazy money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Greetings from VA!  What's the Tucson market like?  We heard it followed the Phoenix market in terms of inflation and market segment profile (ie: snowbirds).  True?  TIA
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#18]
True, with the added benefit that jobs in Tucson generally pay less.

BTW, I am originally from VA... McLean, to be exact. Got tired of living in a swamp, so I moved to the desert.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks MP5, ex-neighbor!  I'm just off 123 junction with Old Dominion Drive in 22101.  Yeah, it's raining again in the swamp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top