Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
I am going out to pick 6 or 7 buckets of prickly pear fruit tomorrow morning if my leg is up to it.  My mom loves to can just about anything, and I want to stock up before the season closes on a bunch of prickly pear jelly.  Cany's kids love it, and I have to admit that even with my dislike of sweets, that damn jelly calls my name.  Also going to make some hot pepper jelly.

If y'all want a jar, let me know and I'll save one for you.  No charge, just come pick it up (will be ready in about a week).  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like one, which side of town are you on?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Essentially I 17 and Loop 101.  If you've never had it before, trust me...  Great stuff!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
We are starting to do the canned thing...
so far we have done pomagranit(sp) and apricot
from the in/laws tree.
Next up is some fish, albacore and yellowfin.

If I was closer, I would sure take you up on the offer Richard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
prickley pear jelly is good, we made about 25 pints two years ag & still have some left, BUT have you ever made Saguaro jelly ?? THAT is 10 times better !!

we also made 5 gallons of PP wine !! that is great stuff also but don't keep it too long, without the usual stabilizers the winerys use, it is only good for about 6 months
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
prickley pear jelly is good, we made about 25 pints two years ag & still have some left, BUT have you ever made Saguaro jelly ?? THAT is 10 times better !!

we also made 5 gallons of PP wine !! that is great stuff also but don't keep it too long, without the usual stabilizers the winerys use, it is only good for about 6 months

No, never tried Saguaro jelly.  Hell, I didn't even know that Saguaros bloomed with anything edible!

Care to shoot me the recipe?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ill take one.

Where abouts on I-17 and Loop 101?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm usually in that part of town once a week or so.  I'll take a jar please.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]

No, never tried Saguaro jelly. Hell, I didn't even know that Saguaros bloomed with anything edible!

Care to shoot me the recipe?

the fruit on Saguaros are called "Tuna" when ripe they split open and the insides is a bright red & very sweet, you use a spoon to remove the red pulp, put it in a large pan & cook & stir till the pulp gives up its juice, 10-15 min., then strain TWICE thru cheese cloth, once you get the juice extracted you can do one of two things, continue cooking on a low heat till it thickens to jelly or get a package of "Sure-gel" & follow the directions for "Grape Jelly"

there is no better jelly than Saguaro jelly..., if/when you go gather "Tunas" next year be carefull where you get them, i live next door to the Saguaro N.P., but gathering Tunas there is illegal unless you are an Indian with a special permit, Natl. Forrests are ok and even private land.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top