Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 4:24:25 PM EDT
Who's going? It's out on the 30th. I'm thinking I may be "sick" that day and have to go to an early showing...

"Let's be bad guys"

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
hell our VP bought us all seats to star wars ep 3 for the first matinee showing.  great workin for a software company.  i'll probably go during the day and then again at night.

"Dear Diary, Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Remind me to tell ya guys how it is, I got tickets to see it on the 28th
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You bastard. In a good way, of course...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Inara: "It sounds like the sort of thing this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but-"

Nandi: "If they got guns, and brains at all..."

Inara: "They have guns."
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You suck.  I expect a full review.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to the early shows at El Con in Tucson and somewhere I dont remember in Phoenix on the 28th, there was a showing done three weeks back for movie reviewers that I managed to sneak into with a number of friends.  This was a REALLY fun movie.  I am a big Firefly fan, so I expected to be happy, but I did have two Firefly non-viewers with me who both greatly enjoyed the film.

As for a review - the movie focuses on the crew of The Serenity, who have been smuggling around a brother and sister who are fugitives from the central government.  The sister has apparently been operated on to enhance her physical, psychic and combat abilities, the resutls of which have made her more than a little mixed up.  Her brother, a brilliant surgeon, stole her away from the government lab and bought passage on The Serenity.  This is all stuff that happened in the TV series, but they do explain it a bit in the film as well.

The issue that drives the film is that River (the sister) is becoming increasingly dangerous to have around, and some of the crew would like to be rid of her.  River herself would actually like to leave, as she feels she is endangering the others.  At the same time, there is a government agent who has come up with a novel idea about how to flush her out from hiding, and the implementation of this idea brings River's abilities to the surface, and forces the ship to flee before they can drop her and her brother off successfully.

The 'crazy' aspect of River becomes the important element, as it becomes apparent that her crazyness is based on some knowledge she acquired, and that she feels the need to spread to others.  The knoweldge is a horrible secret about the government, and the consequences of that secret that have plagued the outer colonies for some time.  So the film becomes a quest movie, with the crew trying to avoid the alliance, contact old allies of their own and solve this hidden mystery.

In the process, ther eis much mayhem - ground fighting, hovercar chases, starship fighting and swordplay.  The series had a strong Western air to it - tghe movie maybe a bit less so, but still not the traditional space film.  In some ways, it is alsmot a comedy-drama.  But overall, it is a character-driven film with plenty of interesting scenery, four very hot-looking ladies and exciting obscure weapons seconded into the film as future weapons.

Four stars for me, though there was not one AR15 to be seen in the movie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
isn't Vera an AR?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
isn't Vera an AR?  

It looked sorta H&Kish
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Me too!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#10]
hah my buddy figured out how to get the 28th tix too, i'll be there.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
isn't Vera an AR?  

It looked sorta H&Kish

It's a VEPR AK if I remember correctly. It may even be the 12 gauge shotgun variant.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You gots to enlighten me on this one... I could get some serious brownie points with the Missus if I were able to score tix for the showing on the 28th...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
OMG you're right it looks like a chopped down saiga 12 ga.  i need to get my eyes checked.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You gots to enlighten me on this one... I could get some serious brownie points with the Missus if I were able to score tix for the showing on the 28th...

YGM.  anybody wants in on this let me know
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]
btt anyone?!?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I bailed out of work early to see it at Cine Capri this afternoon. All I can say is this: If you are already a Firefly fan, you will completely enjoy it. If you haven't seen the series, you will still like it because it is a great action/sci-fi movie in it's own right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
i was driving home after seeing it with the window open and pulled up next to this beat up mexican with a screaming fan belt and all i could think was "they're reavers, run!"  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Inara: "It sounds like the sort of thing this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but-"

Nandi: "If they got guns, and brains at all..."

Inara: "They have guns."

OK, that quote would perfectly describe a conversation concerning the AZHTF crew :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top