Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 11:56:23 AM EDT
Is bitter sweet. But I got too many irons on the fire....

Anyone ever accumulate a large impressive collection of stuff, and then for whatever reason, no time, no interest, no funds, get out of it?

I feel like a friend died, but then I look at my new hobbies, and with a gleam in my eye and a hand on my wallet, march ever forward with my eclectic tastes....

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Homebrewing.....

Trying not to drink so much. And now I've got the BRD. And I also fly RC aircraft.....Both are very very expensive
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the oppisite problem.. I cant FIND a hobby.. lol I used to be into RC heli's

Now I THINK i want to get into a motorcycle, or a sandrail..  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have the oppisite problem.. I cant FIND a hobby.. lol I used to be into RC heli's

Learnin the heli thing....

I got into airplanes cause it would give me something to do during the mash. I figured, hey, this will be a cheap thing to play with!

Then I discovered the joys of Lipoly and brushless.....And then aerial photography for fun and profit....And then I needed more motor for my camera ship, because my camera was heavy. Then I got the power, and decided I needed a higher resolution camera that was lighter.....Then I guess I may as well get a better computer.....Oh, and hey, GT, I'm sellin' one of my AR's and I'll cut you a smoking deal (desertmoon---you evil bastard!) and now I really want to get maybe another AR and some more aircraft......

Do you see how this is going? It starts off innocent. And then you end up with more stuff than you know what to do with, and then you see something else shiny and new.....

I have ADD for things to do....

and if you wanted to get into brewing (an enjoyable hobby, but one that has made me fat and spoiled me for commercial beers) check the EE.....

And if you are looking at getting back into RC, let me know. I know a hobby shop with stellar selection!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I truly know what you mean.

I blame the bloody internet and cc's...way too easy to shop and spend

Bought a Sony Powershot digi camera to come up to speed with the rest of the internet world. That was 6mos. ago. I now have a $900.00 Canon 350D SLR...Just Because!!!

The old saying..." He who dies with the most toys wins"...All I know is it's" KILLING ME"

Oh, I forgot...I still need a eotech 512
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Learnin the heli thing....

I got into airplanes cause it would give me something to do during the mash. I figured, hey, this will be a cheap thing to play with!

Then I discovered the joys of Lipoly and brushless.....And then aerial photography for fun and profit....And then I needed more motor for my camera ship, because my camera was heavy. Then I got the power, and decided I needed a higher resolution camera that was lighter.....Then I guess I may as well get a better computer.....Oh, and hey, GT, I'm sellin' one of my AR's and I'll cut you a smoking deal (desertmoon---you evil bastard!) and now I really want to get maybe another AR and some more aircraft......

Do you see how this is going? It starts off innocent. And then you end up with more stuff than you know what to do with, and then you see something else shiny and new.....

I have ADD for things to do....

and if you wanted to get into brewing (an enjoyable hobby, but one that has made me fat and spoiled me for commercial beers) check the EE.....

And if you are looking at getting back into RC, let me know. I know a hobby shop with stellar selection!

Good deal, thanks. I used to manage a hobby store when I lined in Kalifornia. I usualy buy my stuff from heliproz.com, awesome prices...

I know what you mean about ADD for thigns to do.. I think I want to BUILD my next 'thing to do'.. I really want to buy a long travel sand rail chassis, and build it up.. I think the wife has other plans.. lol

Hell, to get back into the level of heli's I was flying, Im looking at 2k right off the bat I almost have just as much fun watching my buddy fly his giant scale stuff 3 feet of the deck.. He was able to get some sponsors a while back, and it amazes me what this guy can do with a plane..  The ariel photo stuff looks extremely cool!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The AP stuff is VERY cool!

It's a little nervwracking putting a 300 dollar camera 500 feet in the air on a GWS slow stick powered with 140 watts of brushless power! It's even more pucker factoring when you are doing it over people and houses, and more nervwracking when it's blowing 20 mph, and your LZ is between everyone's expensive motorhomes, and everyone's expensive machine guns!

But I get paid to fly RC planes and play with other people's NFA goodies, so it's worth it

One of my favorites...I'll put up some of my shoot pics when I get home...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It's a little nervwracking putting a 300 dollar camera 500 feet in the air on a GWS slow stick powered with 140 watts of brushless power! It's even more pucker factoring when you are doing it over people and houses, and more nervwracking when it's blowing 20 mph, and your LZ is between everyone's expensive motorhomes, and everyone's expensive machine guns!

But I get paid to fly RC planes and play with other people's NFA goodies, so it's worth it

Slap that beast to a Giant Stick with a ZDZ80 and have at it.. LOL  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slap that beast to a Giant Stick with a ZDZ80 and have at it.. LOL  

I would, but the LZ is too small, and a glow model would need too much rollout.

Besides, the fun part is that nobody know's the cam is up there.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a full plate aswell:
Nitro RC cars
Motorcycling
Shooting
and my new car

not to mention the fact that I have IMUSTMOD syndrom, causing me to "make better" just about everything I own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nitro RC cars
Motorcycling
Shooting
and my new car

not to mention the fact that I have IMUSTMOD syndrom, causing me to "make better" just about everything I own.

You poor bastard!  We know your pain!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nitro RC cars
Motorcycling
Shooting
and my new car

Speaking of which--I don't know if you got my PM the other day--O.S. Max 18 on the shelf over at Viper. Slide carb and all!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Homebrewing.....

Trying not to drink so much. And now I've got the BRD. And I also fly RC aircraft.....Both are very very expensive

Tell me about it... I'm a homebrewer and am thinking about getting out since I can't dedicate enough time to it to make it worth hanging onto all the equipment.

And then there is the '67 GTO that is sitting in my garage. Got as far as rebuilding the tranny, and the engine is on a stand waiting its turn. Looking forward to getting it back on the road so I can tailgate Corvettes... Those LS1's sure are slow engines.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Homebrewing.....

Tell me about it... I'm a homebrewer and am thinking about getting out since I can't dedicate enough time to it to make it worth hanging onto all the equipment.

And then there is the '67 GTO that is sitting in my garage. Got as far as rebuilding the tranny, and the engine is on a stand waiting its turn. Looking forward to getting it back on the road so I can tailgate Corvettes... Those LS1's sure are slow engines.

heheheh! I am gonna put an outrunner on my camera ship. Then I am gonna overdrive it until it explodes, and buy another! Need more power? Feed it more amps!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
its even worse when your a student.
less money and still alot of hobbies I like but no time or money to enjoy

Paintball
Shooting
homebrew.

ill show your ad  to the people in the homebrew club someone might want it.
I just dont need it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
its even worse when your a student.
less money and still alot of hobbies I like but no time or money to enjoy

Paintball
Shooting
homebrew.

ill show your ad  to the people in the homebrew club someone might want it.
I just dont need it.

I may have it sold (or bartered at least)

It gets worse--I started off with a corner of a room loaded with beer stuff. Then a whole room. Then A whole room, part of the laundry room (fermentation fridge) the bathtub in the master bath, (temp control overflow) a corner of the kitchen (kegerator and kegs) and then I start with airplanes.

At first it was just one, hanging all by itself on the wall. Then I got more chargers, glues, tools, a flight box, more airplanes, a helicopter, dead airframes that I keep because they "might" be salvagable....

My wife is a patient woman, but not that patient!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
MP5_guy there is a GTO car club in Phoenix that I was a member of when I was stationed at Luke...I think it was Cactus Valley GTO club or something like that.  Great bunch of cars and guys if you're from that area and need some moral support on getting your car back together.  I have a 66 GTO myself at home in the garage that my parents bought new and was the family car until they gave me the keys on my 16th birthday.

Yup, it's called Cactus GTOs.... don't have time to make it to their monthly meetings on a regular basis -- about every other one is all I make it to. Fortunately, I do know some of the Pontiac-driving semi-pro racers in town. Every once in a while I even work as part of the pit crew on a top-fuel dragster (blown 455 that *screams* and is trying to get to the mid-6's). Nothing like coming home smelling of nitromethane and sweat.

Which brings up another hobby... photography. Some of my racing pics have been in Musclecar News magazine and on the Valvoline web site. There just isn't enough time in the day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, another brewer gone. I haven't brewed in 3 years, since my twins were born. I've got 6 carboys, brew kettle, soda kegs and assortment of grolsh bottles stored. I see them in the shed and then go to the store to buy beer, very saddening.

I hear your sorrow. I seem to spend the time now at the reloading bench, the 10mm has become a new passion.

I still think I'll brew up a batch, but hell, I don't even know how much malt extract is going for now...did you have any 2.5 gallon soda kegs you need to get rid of? I really think those would get me back into it because I could then store one easily in the fridge.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Damn, another brewer gone. I haven't brewed in 3 years, since my twins were born. I've got 6 carboys, brew kettle, soda kegs and assortment of grolsh bottles stored. I see them in the shed and then go to the store to buy beer, very saddening.

I hear your sorrow. I seem to spend the time now at the reloading bench, the 10mm has become a new passion.

I still think I'll brew up a batch, but hell, I don't even know how much malt extract is going for now...did you have any 2.5 gallon soda kegs you need to get rid of? I really think those would get me back into it because I could then store one easily in the fridge.

If you wanna get rid of a 5 gallon carboy let me know... going to need that and some C02 equipment shortly ............ it's bad that I'm also trying to sell a weight lifting system to make room for a "beer gut making system"
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have done the RC nitro car thing. I sunk a LOT of money into my old Traxxas T-Maxx monster truck. They are very fun and addicting. I had to get out of the hobby. I was spending too much money. Now I just have my guns and my computer though I don’t spend much money on either these days. I am still needing an Aimpoint red dot sight for my rifle and a surefire light for my rifle and pistol as well.

I'd love to get back into RC hobby, but I don't have the money. I have thought  about getting into plastic models again but don't have the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Rob_M

I'm down in Tucson. The way I got ahold of my carboys was to go to the bottle water company and buy 5 gallons of water and specify it in a glass carboy. They had no problem selling it without deposit because they were trying to phase out the glass ones. It was oasis water company. I really can't part with them yet, must be sentimental, or the urge to brew.

I got my soda kegs for $5 from the pepsi plant because the phased those out too. I'm not sure how easy they are to come by now. I'll tell ya, soda kegs are the bomb if you have a fridge for them, no more cleaning bottles.

Since I have not brewed for awhile, my regulator has been on my MIG welder. So, you might be able to sourse one for that purpose cheaper than the brew catalogs. It just need to be a CO2 regulator.

As for the weight lifting, you should keep the equipment, the only work out from brewing is lifting the carboys and shaking the shit out of them when cleaning and shaking the sediment out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rob_M

I'm down in Tucson. The way I got ahold of my carboys was to go to the bottle water company and buy 5 gallons of water and specify it in a glass carboy. They had no problem selling it without deposit because they were trying to phase out the glass ones. It was oasis water company. I really can't part with them yet, must be sentimental, or the urge to brew.

I got my soda kegs for $5 from the pepsi plant because the phased those out too. I'm not sure how easy they are to come by now. I'll tell ya, soda kegs are the bomb if you have a fridge for them, no more cleaning bottles.

Since I have not brewed for awhile, my regulator has been on my MIG welder. So, you might be able to sourse one for that purpose cheaper than the brew catalogs. It just need to be a CO2 regulator.

As for the weight lifting, you should keep the equipment, the only work out from brewing is lifting the carboys and shaking the shit out of them when cleaning and shaking the sediment out.

Edit: To specify a reply to Rob_M

Ohh he's gonna be thouroughly worked out--I am including a 10 gallon corny keg....The trick is to make 2 batches of the same thing and have them ready at the same time.....My buddy took his converted Sanke keg kettle and moved out of state on me--no way I'm dealin with 120 pounds of boiling wort and hot stainless steel on my lonesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top