Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 10:35:04 AM EDT
I've never hunted before and would like to know how to get started in hunting in AZ???

Can someone give me the run down or where to find information on hunting in AZ?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Hunting & Fishing

Well the AZ Game and Fish website has all the info you would ever need as far as regulations, getting tags, and location information.

What do you have in mind to hunt???

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hunting & Fishing

Well the AZ Game and Fish website has all the info you would ever need as far as regulations, getting tags, and location information.

What do you have in mind to hunt???

I was thinking mule deer and white tail deer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Whitetail deer WAY down in southern AZ as well as the high country units like 6A, 6B, 8, 7. Mule deer pretty much all over.

Even the desert has a population of muleys, though the extended drought here has really hammered the mule deer population statewide.

What I did was get an Arizona Gazeteer (available in any sporting goods store, outdoors store [REI] and some gas stations) and pick an area I might like to hunt in. The Gazeteer has most all the forest roads in it and I spent many weekends driving in the middle of nowhere to find some spots.

ETA: Though many roads can be driven with even a car, I highly reccommend at least a truck-be safe and take a 4WD. There are some forest roads that are 50+ miles long. That's a long way down a road to get stuck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
how much does a hunting license run???

Do you have to take a hunters safety course to get your license???

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
bump
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
$25.50
no safety class necessary
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I hope you are planning for next season.  The draw already took place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can still get yourself a Archery Deer tag over the counter.  Pick up a copy of the regs at any WallyWorld.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can still get yourself a Archery Deer tag over the counter.  Pick up a copy of the regs at any WallyWorld.

I don't have a bow or know how to use one
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Attatch sharp, pointy stick to taut string.  Pull string to nose.  Let sharp, pointy stick fly (ensure sharp, pointy end is NOT pointed at foot).  Enjoy string burn on left forearm.  Gaze in wonder at drunken trajectory of sharp, pointy stick.  Walk 25 feet, remove sharp, pointy stick from tree/cactus/ground/hiker.  Wonder if deer is over in the next draw laughing itself silly.

Reslove to get with the program NEXT year, get in on the draw and hunt with a firearm. ...or, spend off-season learning to LOVE searching for arrows in the grass/brush/cactus, pulling arrows out of hay bales you actually manage to hit and pulling arrows that missed the hay bale out of cactus/trees/ground/family cat and of course, the inevitable purchase of all archery specific gadgetry...most of which appears to be more complex and less functional than needed.  Obesess about pin sights, optical sights or just being a purist and sighting down the arrow like the injuns did.  Obsess about which broadheads to get.  The Super Extra Razor Sharp ones or the Serrated Cavitating Wonder Slicers of DOOM!  Debate merits of carbon fiber vs aluminum arrows.  Choose a recurve bow and be scoffed at as archaich.  Choose compound and be scoffed at as a weak, sniveling  she-man who can't even pull back a "Man's Bow".

Once you get passed all of that....now you have to decide...what camo?  What scent-free, non-UV detergent to wash my camo in?  Should I just hunt in buckskins and smear myself in buffalo cow shit, like the indians did?

If I drive my truck in, will it's smell "pollute" me?  I should ride a horse in.  Real men ride Paints.  Sissies ride quaterhorses.  Purists ride Appaloosas.

Oh...plus...did I mention you have to learn how to stalk?  Cause only sissies sit up in a stand and WAIT for a deer to wander by.  By God, that's just NOT sporting....

Sheep
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Attatch sharp, pointy stick to taut string.  Pull string to nose.  Let sharp, pointy stick fly (ensure sharp, pointy end is NOT pointed at foot).  Enjoy string burn on left forearm.  Gaze in wonder at drunken trajectory of sharp, pointy stick.  Walk 25 feet, remove sharp, pointy stick from tree/cactus/ground/hiker.  Wonder if deer is over in the next draw laughing itself silly.

Reslove to get with the program NEXT year, get in on the draw and hunt with a firearm. ...or, spend off-season learning to LOVE searching for arrows in the grass/brush/cactus, pulling arrows out of hay bales you actually manage to hit and pulling arrows that missed the hay bale out of cactus/trees/ground/family cat and of course, the inevitable purchase of all archery specific gadgetry...most of which appears to be more complex and less functional than needed.  Obesess about pin sights, optical sights or just being a purist and sighting down the arrow like the injuns did.  Obsess about which broadheads to get.  The Super Extra Razor Sharp ones or the Serrated Cavitating Wonder Slicers of DOOM!  Debate merits of carbon fiber vs aluminum arrows.  Choose a recurve bow and be scoffed at as archaich.  Choose compound and be scoffed at as a weak, sniveling  she-man who can't even pull back a "Man's Bow".

Once you get passed all of that....now you have to decide...what camo?  What scent-free, non-UV detergent to wash my camo in?  Should I just hunt in buckskins and smear myself in buffalo cow shit, like the indians did?

If I drive my truck in, will it's smell "pollute" me?  I should ride a horse in.  Real men ride Paints.  Sissies ride quaterhorses.  Purists ride Appaloosas.

Oh...plus...did I mention you have to learn how to stalk?  Cause only sissies sit up in a stand and WAIT for a deer to wander by.  By God, that's just NOT sporting....

Sheep

That's the funniest damn thing I have read all year.  And it is absolutely coorect, to boot!

LOL.  Thanks for the giggles, bro!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top