Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 7:50:51 PM EDT
What do you think is the best .308 self loading rifle.  FAL? AR10?  HKG3?  M14?  Any other? Soundoff what is your pick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#1]
utter dependability?  FAL

high accuracy with ease of maintenence? Bushmaster .308
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 FAL
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]

I still enjoy my AR10 A2 Carbine. Yes I've had problems. Although alot could be said for a gun that uses converted M14 mags. I hear that Armalite will be coming out pretty soon, with a all new mag,  designed for the AR10. It will have a rib down the back like AR15 mags and a new follower that will hold open the bolt without that stupid spring loaded plunger. i can't wait til the mags come out.

As for what I like better than the AR10.  Would be a M14, she's just a damm tack driver. I've shot FAL's and just don't like the feel of them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Put a new barrel in a FAL, and it's more than accurate enough.  Add to that the dependability and shootability, and the low cost of putting one together, and you have a winner.  

This gun was less than $1000 for me to put together, and it has a new barrel, nice wood, and a fresh AZEX park job.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 FAL - cost and reliability

HK accuracy and ergonomics

M14/M1A best sights and usually trigger.  

If worked over by gunsmith M1A can be more accurate than out of box HK but if I was using fresh from factory guns with out any special treatment HK I think would beat either FAL  or M14 for accuracy . Just my experiance as I have used all three of these.

I have not tried any AR10 of recent production but tried a Dutch back in the late 70's and I didn't find it all that great. But judging from reviews from several people it should out dot all the above in all catagories except cost.

Your Mileage may very.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Put a new barrel in a FAL, and it's more than accurate enough.  Add to that the dependability and shootability, and the low cost of putting one together, and you have a winner.  

This gun was less than $1000 for me to put together, and it has a new barrel, nice wood, and a fresh AZEX park job.

img219.imageshack.us/img219/2595/gunpics21347us.jpg

Ho hum. Another outstanding job by Hobbs. Very deluxe. What kind of comp is that?  Was the wood furniture a lot more than a synthetic set? Was there a lot more labor than money in the wood set? It looks great. I'm pretty rough on furniture. Was this one for show or play?

Nice job, Hobbs.

JW
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Although I do like the FAL, I am very partial to H&K's, so I would go with an HK91 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
... as much as I love my FAL, and as excited I am about AZEXARMs doing a folder job on her, I still believe the AR10 is superior.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img219.imageshack.us/img219/2595/gunpics21347us.jpg

Ho hum. Another outstanding job by Hobbs. Very deluxe. What kind of comp is that?  Was the wood furniture a lot more than a synthetic set? Was there a lot more labor than money in the wood set? It looks great. I'm pretty rough on furniture. Was this one for show or play?

Nice job, Hobbs.

JW

The comp is a stock SA flashhider, and the wood is black walnut from ironwood designs.  This one is a safe queen.  Here's a ling to Ironwood Designs.  I got mine used at the FalFiles for $100.www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zFALprod.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#10]
FAL
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
When it comes to reliability and accuracy, an HK91 is the way to go. I am the original owner of my '91, and probably have about 5K rounds through it. I have shot everything from crap Indian surplus to my silhouette loads. The only problem I ever had was a freak accident when I was shooting right next to a wood post... an ejected casing bounced off the post and back *into* the ejection port, causing quite a jam. Other than that, it's been flawless and very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
is anyone referring to the FAL L1A1?  I though about picking one of these up at J&G.  Any comments?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid LESS for both of these than what one M-14 or Bushy would cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top