Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2005 12:20:41 PM EDT
It's set for 9/4/05 this year.  I'm trying to figger out who from AZ might be interested.
Last year I found out about it too late to make it happen.  It's a 5-6 mile hump with 4 shooting stations.

The event is held in Pecos, TX I think.

There are two divisions, Light and Heavy.  Heavy requires 35 lbs of gear to be humped, not including your water.

SinistralRifleman competed in it last year.

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
SinistralRifleman competed in it last year.

SinistralRifleman runs?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  He walked it.   As would I with 35 lbs of shit on in the heat of the day! w00t!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a ton of fun to me, hopefully I can get the time off for it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would love to do it, if I could get the time off.

We need to do one of these in Arizona.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

indeed
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
ACL surgery August 1st.

Competition Spetember 4th.

Can I cheerlead along the path?  Drive the truck to pick up those who faulter?

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 Drive the truck to pick up those who faulter?

I thought that fallouts were to be roasted over the open fire and served at the banquet
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you actually have to "run", or can you walk it and still be competitive?
I smoke like a semi going uphill, running more than 15-20 feet is not an option for me. This does sound like a fun match, though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#15]
hrmmm.. me thinks I will participate
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love to! But I don't think the organizers can come up with a way to evac my 330lb fatass to a medical facility mid-course! But I made a commitment to lose the weight by next summer, so I will give it a shot then! To much damn cool gear out there that can't fit my fatass!
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 2:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would love to! But I don't think the organizers can come up with a way to evac my 330lb fatass to a medical facility mid-course! But I made a commitment to lose the weight by next summer, so I will give it a shot then! To much damn cool gear out there that can't fit my fatass!

i lost 60lbs last summer by rock climbing and hiking.  300 down to 240.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

indeed

It was discussed.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Do you actually have to "run", or can you walk it and still be competitive?
I smoke like a semi going uphill, running more than 15-20 feet is not an option for me. This does sound like a fun match, though.

I didn't get the impression that running was required at all.  However, covering the train does sound physically challenging.  I'm not so much interested in competing against others as I am in the experience and testing my gear selection.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Tagged.

Sounds Intersting.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Any more info on entries, requirements, etc?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Followed the link that the CavArms guys put out. There here is a link to the thread about the Texas Biathalon.

Anyway, I started off at  305 and am now down 2 pant sizes from that since the beginning of May. My secret? Stop drinking soft drinks with sugar and beer. Walk 3 to 4 times per week.

When I started, I could barely do one mile. But I held with it and now the longest I've gone is 12 miles with a 30 pound back pack.

You don't need expensive cool gear to compete. I bought a Italian mountain milsurp ruck for $39.95. Now for the LowSpeedHiDrag pistolero setup, I've splurged on a Uncle Mike's belt, holster, and magazine pouches for like the tune of 35 clams. Stick my XD9 or Sig P220 .45 in there, and off I go just as happy as pig in shit.

So, I'm encouraging to get one of those rucks, get come conditioning in, and come on out to play with the big boys.

wganz

ETA:> Like one guy told me in the gym, "Ain't no shame in starting off light. The shame is not starting off at all."
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like fun, something to focus myself toward......Hmmm
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#25]
TAG

If my parents end up not making to Tucson from Hotlanta for the week, I'm on this like white on rice. I'm getting ready to start training for a marthon in a week or so, this might be a good chance to see if that training is paying off a little.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag, I really want to do this.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
TAG

If my parents end up not making to Tucson from Hotlanta for the week, I'm on this like white on rice. I'm getting ready to start training for a marthon in a week or so, this might be a good chance to see if that training is paying off a little.

Wes

Wes, that ain't fair. If you train for and run a marathon, you should have to carry a 235lb pack. (J/K)

I would think that the 4-5 mile hump would be the tough part. It would seem you have that in the bag.

Good luck with the marathon.

Jim
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wes, that ain't fair. If you train for and run a marathon, you should have to carry a 235lb pack. (J/K)

I would think that the 4-5 mile hump would be the tough part. It would seem you have that in the bag.

Good luck with the marathon.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I'm only gonna be about a month or month and half into an approximately 7 or 8 month program for the marathon. Definitely on the uphill side of 26.2 miles.

So I imagine this would still be a fairly difficult challenge considering the terrain, heat, and humping some gear, even for the "light" class. I bet I'll still end up with around 20lbs of stuff. I guess, depending on how the training is going, I'll have to decide to try and go heavy or light, not to mention which rifle if they have a 600 or 700yd stage like was mentioned in the other thread about this.  

Wes
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#29]
how many of y'all are seriously considering doing this? I assume that some carpool arrangements can and will be worked out? How did y'all do it last year?

Anyone in Tucson wanna head out to Three Points this weekend for a try at some 300yd+ shooting?

Wes
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#30]
I am definitely considering this.  I didn't go last year because I didn't find out in time.  I'm going to try to get ahold of Smokey some time to get more info, and then make a decision.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Not going to Texas, but we need one of these here...
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Not going to Texas, but we need one of these here...

Agreed, I don't need to drive that far to realize that I'm out of shape and have people laugh at my shooting abilities -- but I would be game if this was in state.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Agreed, I don't need to drive that far to realize that I'm out of shape and have people laugh at my shooting abilities -- but I would be game if this was in state.

Well git yo fat ass in shape, boy!!

Wes
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
We can't get you n00bs to come out to the monthly 2-gun matches we have now!

If someone wants to take on the task of getting a match like this going here in AZ, the Cav-Crew will help out...

The 3 gun/2 gun match thing doesn't appeal to all of us.  This format is more my style.  I would guess that We'd need a large area of private land to pull off such an event.  In Texas that's more often the case.  

Otherwise we'd end up dealing with permits, Local L.E., and all of the things I try to get away from when I go shooting!  w00t!

I know a great area to do this, but if you had more than a handful of dude humping it up the hill with ARs and Load bearing gear, people might start getting nervous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I did my first 3 gun match a few months ago and have been hooked since, infact I recently built up a new AR for match's that has some Cavarm goodness on it.

The thing for me is Gas.  I drive a gas hog and cannot afford to sell it to get a car with better mpg right now (been screwed around with pay and work lately).........

So spending $40 to drive to phx for gas for example makes me think twice about going to a match..... not to mention entrance fees, ammo fees and other stuff.

I would however love to try out something like this match (the run n gun).... but there is no way I'm driving to texas or paying entrance fee's like that -- granted they have some awesome prizes if you win -- i would be shocked if I didn't come in dead last.

Not to mention I still need to get a good holster for my Sig.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I have been impressed lately at the number of ARFKOM members coming out to the local matches...these guys are obviously hooked, since I see them there every time and their skills are consistently improving.  I'd like to see more new people come out consistently even if they can't make it everytime.

I'd love to carpool some if any Tucson ARFCOM'ers want to.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#41]
There should be a 3 Gun in Tucson at the Pima Pistol Club on July 31st...waiting for confirmation.

Is there a mailing list you can get on to learn about these events in advance?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#42]
BTT.

Who is going? I'm planning on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I want to go to, but not solo. I was hoping there would be a car pool coming out of Phoenix that could make a very short detour off I-10 to pick me and my gear up.  

Wes
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Followed the link that the CavArms guys put out. There here is a link to the thread about the Texas Biathalon.

Anyway, I started off at  305 and am now down 2 pant sizes from that since the beginning of May. My secret? Stop drinking soft drinks with sugar and beer. Walk 3 to 4 times per week.

When I started, I could barely do one mile. But I held with it and now the longest I've gone is 12 miles with a 30 pound back pack.

You don't need expensive cool gear to compete. I bought a Italian mountain milsurp ruck for $39.95. Now for the LowSpeedHiDrag pistolero setup, I've splurged on a Uncle Mike's belt, holster, and magazine pouches for like the tune of 35 clams. Stick my XD9 or Sig P220 .45 in there, and off I go just as happy as pig in shit.

So, I'm encouraging to get one of those rucks, get come conditioning in, and come on out to play with the big boys.

wganz

ETA:> Like one guy told me in the gym, "Ain't no shame in starting off light. The shame is not starting off at all."

BTT
3 weeks to go!!

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#45]
BTT

11 days to go.

Anybody mind picking up an armed hitch hiker in Tucson. I have gas money, promise to take a shower that morning, and don't talk too much.

Also, what in hades do you use to constitute 35lbs, and how do you carry it? (Or am I effin nuts to attempt the heavyweight division)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top