Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 11:56:26 AM EDT
Maybe you Indigenous types already knew this, but being a transplant this little gem was new to me:

www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/az_flag.htm

The birth of the the Arizona State Flag can be traced back to the 1910 National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio before Arizona officially entered the Union. Shooting matches began Camp Perry in 1907 and rapidly developed into a prestigious annual event that continues to this day. In 1910, members of the visiting Arizona Rifle Team noted that all of "state" rifle teams carried flags. The Arizona team had no flag and brought this to the attention of Colonel Charles Wilfred Harris, then serving as adjutant general of the Arizona National Guard. The team suggested that a flag was needed and should be created to represent Arizona.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A gunsmith I know in AZ told me that when I was last there 2 years ago.
He said that it was only shortly before then that Arixzona became a state.
Up until then, it had only been a territory.
Is this correct??

Mark
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is this correct??

Mark

Yup, Arizona joined the Union in 1912 as the 48th state.  Alaska and Hawaii joined as the 49th and 50th states in the late 50's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this correct??

Mark

Yup, Arizona joined the Union in 1912 as the 48th state.  Alaska and Hawaii joined as the 49th and 50th states in the late 50's.

Feb 14th, 1912 to be exact. this was a question on my citizenship exam
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks eodinert.

+1
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this correct??

Mark

Did they specifically ask you about Arizona since you were living here, or do they just pick a state at random.

I know for a fact that I couldn't tell you when the fuck somewhere like West (by God) Virginia became a state.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this correct??

Mark

Did they specifically ask you about Arizona since you were living here, or do they just pick a state at random.

I know for a fact that I couldn't tell you when the fuck somewhere like West (by God) Virginia became a state.

I would think it's because I took the exam in Phoenix, and no I wouldn't know when WV became a state either.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Citizenship Exam?  Where you from, bro?  How long have you been here?

Sad, I have been in AZ all my life and I had absolutely no idea about the history of our flag.  *Slaps self on the back of the hand*

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Citizenship Exam?  Where you from, bro?  How long have you been here?

Sad, I have been in AZ all my life and I had absolutely no idea about the history of our flag.  *Slaps self on the back of the hand*

I came here from the UK thro the front door in 1991. I was looking for a better life and I had interviews at the US embasy to prove I was worthy, sponsors, vaccinations etc etc. now people just stroll across the border, it pisses me off no end.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Very, very cool man.  A late welcome to the land of the free.  Poker tonight?  The beer and the food is on me!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top