Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
ok my sister phoenix, indian school and 32nd area, and her apartment has no heat, and the bathroom has water leaks through the roof.  they have been notified of these problems over a month ago, they havent replaired them and she keeps notifying them of the problem.

is there anyone who I or she could call to light a fire under the asses of these people since its not healthy for her 3 and 4 year old kids to not have a damn heater.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Local health dept,
local tenant landlord board
local child endangerment services

In CA, you have to write a letter of information as to problems stated. In the letter you can notify owner that if not repaired in a reasonable length of time[CA is 30 days without health issues], then the repairs will be deducted from rent. You must keep a seperate running bill of these and turn in copies or reciepts with it should you repair them. [Call your county renters board or property accessors and ask what your law is there.]
In other states however, call you local health office and tell them the children are living without heat. They will direct you to the proper numbers and people.
Be prepared for a fight or eviction. Take pics! keep for records and let the landlord know you have pics! and so does your attorney!
good luck
Joyce
PS-After it has been repaired, tell them you want a mold inspection!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
arizona landlord laws
Here ya go!!!  

Notice at the bottom of page ...this is from 2002. Make sure it is stillin effect.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Also send all correspondence through the USPS certified mail with return reciepts that way they can never say that they didn't get the letters you sent.

Keep the reciepts from the mailings in a very safe place. I believe that the landlord tenant act is still in effect. But check to make sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
32nd street or 32nd ave?

Regardless, I'd get her to move, neither of those are really nice areas...

ETA: Ave is worse, though...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
32nd street or 32nd ave?

I want to say street, and no, its not the best of areas but its all she can afford while she's putting herself through nursing school.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
There is quite a difference. 32nd st. and Indian School may be the best area, but 32nd ave and Indian School is technically Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Maybe I could go by and fix her heater for you. IM me if you want me to.  Most apartments have those noisey fan coil units in the ceiling.

If so, they are usually electric heat strips. All that's involved with them is the t-stat, sequencer, blower and electric elements(3.5 or 5 KW). If not, then it's a heatpump. No problem either way. I have ninteen years of experince in HVAC. Ten here in the Valley. Also call channel 3 TV and get them to do a story on this.  That's 3 on Your Side.

I'll be glad to fix it. Then she can take, what it would cost off her rent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
32nd street or 32nd ave?

Hey try not to bad mouth it too much I just live around the corner

Chris
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
www.supreme.state.az.us/info/brochures/landlord.htm

Residential Landlord & Tenant Act
Arizona Revised Statutes Title 33, Chapter 10
Updated with laws effective August 25, 2004

www.azsos.gov/public_services/Publications/Residential_Landlord_Tenant_Act/2004/Landlord_Act.htm

33-1324. Landlord to maintain fit premises
A. The landlord shall:

1. Comply with the requirements of applicable building codes materially affecting health and safety.

2. Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.

3. Keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition.

4. Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him.

5. Provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for their removal.

6. Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times, reasonable heat and reasonable air-conditioning or cooling where such units are installed and offered, when required by seasonal weather conditions, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose or the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air-conditioning, cooling or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection.

B. If the duty imposed by subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section is greater than any duty imposed by any other paragraph of this section, the landlord's duty shall be determined by reference to that paragraph.

C. The landlord and tenant of a single family residence may agree in writing, supported by adequate consideration, that the tenant perform the landlord's duties specified in subsection A, paragraphs 5 and 6 of this section, and also specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations and remodeling, but only if the transaction is entered into in good faith, not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord and the work is not necessary to cure noncompliance with subsection A, paragraphs 1 and 2 of this section.

D. The landlord and tenant of any dwelling unit other than a single family residence may agree that the tenant is to perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations or remodeling only if:

1. The agreement of the parties is entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord and is set forth in a separate writing signed by the parties and supported by adequate consideration.

2. The work is not necessary to cure noncompliance with subsection A, paragraphs 1 and 2 of this section.

3. The agreement does not diminish or affect the obligation of the landlord to other tenants in the premises.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maybe I could go by and fix her heater for you. IM me if you want me to.  Most apartments have those noisey fan coil units in the ceiling.

If so, they are usually electric heat strips. All that's involved with them is the t-stat, sequencer, blower and electric elements(3.5 or 5 KW). If not, then it's a heatpump. No problem either way. I have ninteen years of experince in HVAC. Ten here in the Valley. Also call channel 3 TV and get them to do a story on this.  That's 3 on Your Side.

I'll be glad to fix it. Then she can take, what it would cost off her rent.

before I call her with this, how much do you think it would be with the worst case scenario?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#11]
33-1364. Wrongful failure to supply heat, air conditioning, cooling, water, hot water or essential services

A. If contrary to the rental agreement or section 33-1324 the landlord deliberately or negligently fails to supply running water, gas or electrical service, or both if applicable, and reasonable amounts of hot water or heat, air-conditioning or cooling, where such units are installed and offered, or essential services, the tenant may give reasonable notice to the landlord specifying the breach and may do one of the following:

1. Procure reasonable amounts of hot water, running water, heat and essential services during the period of the landlord's noncompliance and deduct their actual reasonable cost from the rent. If the landlord has failed to provide any of the utility services specified in this section due to nonpayment of the landlord's utility bill for the premises, and if there is no separate utility meter for each tenant in the premises such that the tenant could avoid a utility shutoff by arranging to have services transferred to the tenant's name, the tenant may either individually or collectively with other tenants arrange with the utility company to pay the utility bill after written notice to the landlord of the tenant's intent to do so. With the utility company's approval the tenant or tenants may pay the landlord's delinquent utility bill and deduct from any rent owed to the landlord the actual cost of the payment the tenant made to restore utility services. The tenant or tenants may continue to make such payments to the utility company until the landlord has provided adequate assurances to the tenant that the above utility services will be maintained.

2. Recover damages based upon the diminution in the fair rental value of the dwelling unit.

3. Procure reasonable substitute housing during the period of the landlord's noncompliance, in which case the tenant is excused from paying rent for the period of the landlord's noncompliance. In the event the periodic cost of such substitute housing exceeds the amount of the periodic rent, upon delivery by tenant of proof of payment for such substitute housing, tenant may recover from landlord such excess costs up to an amount not to exceed twenty-five per cent of the periodic rent which has been excused pursuant to this paragraph.

B. A landlord shall provide all utilities and services specified in the lease agreement.

C. A landlord shall not terminate utility services as specified in subsection A of this section which are provided to the tenant as part of the rental agreement, except as necessary to make needed repairs or as provided in section 33-1368. Subsequent to the execution of the rental agreement, a landlord may not transfer the responsibility for payment of such utility services to the tenant without the tenant's written consent.

D. If a landlord is in violation of subsection C of this section, the tenant may recover damages, costs and reasonable attorneys fees and obtain injunctive relief. Nothing in this section shall preclude a tenant's right to recover damages as specified in section 33-1367.

E. A lease agreement shall not contain any terms contrary to this section.

F. In addition to the remedy provided in paragraph 3 of subsection A of this section, in the event the landlord's noncompliance is deliberate, the tenant may recover the actual and reasonable cost or fair and reasonable value of the substitute housing not in excess of an amount equal to the periodic rent.

G. If the tenant proceeds under this section, he may not proceed under section 33-1361 or section 33-1363 as to that breach, except as to damages which occur prior to the tenant proceeding under subsection A or B of this section.

H. The rights under this section do not arise until the tenant has given notice to the landlord and such rights do not include the right to repair. Such rights do not arise if the condition was caused by the deliberate or negligent act or omission of the tenant, a member of the tenant's family or other person on the premises with the tenant's consent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

why thank you
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]

How much.   Need to do a diagnostics first.

If electric heat. Worst case a blower motor, about 350.00 to 400.00.Retail

If heatpump. Worst case a new compressor, about 1,600.00.Retail

About 70 percent of HVAC failure is electrical, 30 percent mechanical. If it's electric heat, it will be electrical.

It could be something real simple, like a t-stat or sequencer. Cost under 50.00.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There is quite a difference. 32nd st. and Indian School may be the best area, but 32nd ave and Indian School is technically Mexico.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top