Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 3:29:08 PM EDT
Remember 20 years ago when you could find secluded desert spots to shoot at there were not:

-clutterred w/numerous unsafe shooters who don't pick up their trash
-dirt bike and atv riders who think it's okay to ride through your zone of fire
-not more than 30 minutes away
-had open enough spaces to shoot rifles at

Does anyone have a decent shooting spot they don't mind sharing that not every gang banger and trailer park resident shoots at?  I live in Avondale and usually drive 52 miles to a spot just west of Tonopah.   I used to shoot at Miller Rd., but there are just too many irresponsible bike riders out there now.  I tried the north end of the White Tanks today.  Evidently I did not go far enough, as two gang banger types pulled up to within 50 yards of me and began shooting, though there was plenty of open desert around.  

Since it's such a pleasant time of the year, storms aside, I would love to meet some folks for a shoot in the west or northwest valley.  If anyone has any ideas, shoot them my way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
well I don't remember 20 years ago but I remember 5 years ago not having to drive all over to shoot. I'm looking for another place as well because I know my current spot west of I17 between Pioneer rd and Anthem will be gone soon. there's got to be somewhere closer than Tonopah, I'd like to find a nice quiet place where you can shoot 200, 300 yards etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Miller Rd the spot right by I-10?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yup.  I was going ot Watson (just east of Miller) for awhile, but it's geting too crowded too.  I talked to some Buckeye friends recently, and I guess it's all going to be developed soon.

I go to Tonopah (Saddle Mountain actually) since it's always a sure thing, and I can get 300 yard shots no problem.  It's also fairly unmolested land.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Go back to bed, Slap head!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I would love to meet some folks for a shoot in the west or northwest valley. If anyone has any ideas, shoot them my way...

I usually shoot during the week, and I've rarely seen anyone else there, so you may or may not find this helpful:  There's a turnoff from the westbound side of Sun Valley Parkway near where it turns south.  Across the cattle grate a wide, hard-packed dirt road runs straight back to the CAP canal.  Cross over the canal and bear left to follow the road that parallels the canal.  At the downward-sloping fork, bear right.  That'll take you down into a wash where a brigade could train safely.  Also, you can continue back into the desert and there's lots of other spots.  Jeep (and similar) access only.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:09:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been going north on the wickenburg/ vultchermine road.  Shoot in a wash that has a acliff for a back stop.  So far no junk and when I leave you would never know anybody was there.

It's sad, I used to shoot in the aquafria river bottom a mile from my house.  Now it is an hour away, or almost.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are shooting and a guy on a dirt bike rides between you and your target while you are actively firing, is it kosher to keep firing as long as you don't hit him/her?  

Is it okay to run wire about four feet off the ground around your campsite? (for hanging clothes to dry on.)

What about dangling maglights from a tree over a trail about four feet off the ground.   (to illuminate the trail for hikers).
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I go to the Rio Verde at times.  Not that much farther than Table Mesa.

Don't know if it is close to you or not, but here's where it is:

Take Bell Road to Scottsdale Road, turn North to Dynamite Road, then go East.

Take Dynamite all the way to where it ends, about 187th Ave.  It Ts there - go north and pay the 3 bucks at the pay station.  Take the first right after that, which leads you to the ranch and just follow the road (dirt, of course).  Don't go to needlerock.  

I fish down there by the river all the time, and used to hunt there, as well.  Nice place, and fairly clean, hardly ever anyone there and if there is, just drive and you'll find solitude.

I remember when Table Mesa Road was barren and empty.  Hunted there at 14, always getting the limit of Quail and tons of Cottons.  Lots of great times, and kept me out of the gangs.  Back then, the river flowed and we could fish and hang out all day.  The guy who kind of took over after my father died was constantly bugged by me to go hunting, shooting, and fishing.  Better than the drugs I was getting into.  That man probably saved my life.  

Growth sucks.  

If you want to go to the Rio Verde, IM me.  I'd love to go after work settles down.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go back to bed, Slap head!

Why don't you cut your nuts off with a rusty dull butter knife!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Take Dynamite all the way to where it ends, about 187th Ave.  It Ts there - go north and pay the 3 bucks at the pay station.

I can't remember, is that just before or just after the big sign that says "NO FIREARMS"?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take Dynamite all the way to where it ends, about 187th Ave.  It Ts there - go north and pay the 3 bucks at the pay station.

I can't remember, is that just before or just after the big sign that says "NO FIREARMS"?

sign?  No signs out there... been hunting and fishing there for many years.  You are thinking of another place.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Shave off your mullet!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shave off your mullet!

Buzz off blue blood!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shave off your mullet!

Buzz off blue blood!

Staff!  Cancel this inbred's ticket!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you are shooting and a guy on a dirt bike rides between you and your target while you are actively firing, is it kosher to keep firing as long as you don't hit him/her?

I stopped the last guy who did this to me.  I informed him I did not give a rat's a** if I shot him, and would actually enjoy it.  I told him my real problem was that his 8 y/o son was watching his stupid example (though HE was bright enough not to ride between me and the targets), and I really did have a problem with an innocent 8 y/o thinking this was okay.

Is it okay to run wire about four feet off the ground around your campsite? (for hanging clothes to dry on.)

Hmmmm, note to self, buy wire....

What about dangling maglights from a tree over a trail about four feet off the ground.   (to illuminate the trail for hikers).

Not touching that with a ten foot maglite
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Everytime I'm in your state, I go to Harquahala Mountain.  I have a spot about 5 miles into the BLM land that pretty much guaranteed to be people-free almost 24/7.  4WD only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top