Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 1:43:09 PM EDT
Well, not literally. The torsion spring snapped on my garage door, and has rendered my garage un-openable. Sucks as the motorcycle, all my tools and other fun items are trapped inside. Anyone know where to get another spring? All the garage door places are basically giving me the "civilians are too stupid to be able to install these on their own..." b.s. line. I have done this before, but now just cant find a source for the springs. Any ideas?

[timmy]Go Lassie! Go find help![timmy/]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try lowes, I know they used to carry them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Ace Hardware on 43rd Ave and Peoria has a big selection.  If you're not near there, measure the spring and I'll get one for you and drive it down to you tomorrow sometime.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The Home Depot.
George
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Most places wont sell torsion type springs due to the liability. Lowes, Home Depot, and ACE don't seem to stock them anymore since they can tend to kill and dismember inexperienced installers. I am MacGyvering something as we speak (actually I'm on a beer break).
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the beer break!h.gif
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+1 on the beer break!

Make that a +2
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Shit yeah! My Phantom driving friend! The beer break is the only thing Ive gotten right tonight!

I am seriously considering my old childhood plans of pioneering the "garage curtain"(patent pending) and scrapping the whole door thing. Whaddya think boys?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get a Wolfe extra power replacement spring!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If the "warehouse" stores don't have them you can try Orco Construction Supply on Country Club and the US 60.  I am not sure if they are open on the weekends though.  I would call first.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Well crap Mark! Where the hell were you earlier!?! WOLFE SPRINGS!?!

Of course! Now where is my tackle box of old 1911 stuff?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I dunno, I watched the garage guy replace a busted spring and he had special tools. Didn't cost much for him to come out and after watching him I'm glad I didn't try it
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]

since they can tend to kill and dismember inexperienced installers

After a good friend was hit in the head by one and ended-up with permanent brain damage, I haven't touched one.  He was a professional and had installed 100's of them.  He got distracted by the cute homeowner who was talking to him.z
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy that taught me how to install and tension the torsion type springs was missing two fingers. Lost them both when he "got distracted" on the job.  I take it very seriously and when I get the new springs I'll be fresh and ready, I likes all my digits where they are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, they can fuck you up.  Had a friend get one replaced a while back, and I was surprised at how dangerous they were/are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
That's why I gave you a specific Ace store, bro, cause most don't carry them anymore for the reasons you have listed.  The one on 43rd Ave and Peoria still has them.  Try em if yer close, or let me know and I'll pick you up one and bring it to you.  Just be careful, man... watch them fingers!  Flipping the bird is just not the same effect if you are missing two fingers
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Built myself a garage this fall.

I did everything including the concrete and electrical work...

Except installing the garage doors and the gas furnace.  The little bit it cost me to have someone else install that thing was worth the money.  They bit me once and I am lucky to still have all my fingers,

Not again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Roger that Richard, I'll check 'em out. I can order them from an old supplier I used to use for $75 shipped FOR THE PAIR! Most local guys (including "friends") wanted that for each side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would get a Wolfe extra power replacement spring!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top