Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2004 8:01:44 AM EDT

ISLAM AWARENESS WEEK at ASU!

This week is National ISLAM AWARENESS WEEK from November 1 - November 5.

The Muslim Students Association at ASU (MSA) will be hosting lectures and events Around the ASU campus everyday this week regarding a different Islamic topic.

The week, themed "Muhammad:  Man and Messenger", will explore the Prophet of Islam as the backdrop to discuss several aspects of Islam from marriage and family life to Islamic Law.  The weekly events also include a tour of the local Mosque/Islamic Center in Tempe!  MSA invites everyone who has had an interest in exploring Islam or has unanswered questions to attend.  

For more details contact MSA at [email protected].  

(The Muslim Law Students' Association (MLSA) will be hosting Thursday's lecture on Islamic law At Armstrong Hall Rm 105 at 6:15-8:00pm.  

For more information on that lecture contact MLSA at [email protected]).

The Week's schedule is as follows:

Monday, November 1st:
Time:10am-2pm
Title:  Kaaba Exhibit
Place:  Hayden Lawn, ASU Tempe
Time:  3:30pm
Title:  "Muhammad the Man"
Place:  MU218 Pima

Tuesday, November 2nd:
Time: 4:30pm
Title:  "Muhammad the Husband"
Place:  MU218 Pima

Wednesday, November 3rd:
Time:  12:00pm
Title:  Mosque Tour
Place:  Islamic Community Center, 6th St. & Forest (Tempe)
Time:  5:30pm
Title:  "Miracles of Muhammad"
Place:  Physical Science H152

Thursday, November 4th:
Time:  11:30am
Title:  "Islam:  The Message of Truth"
Place:  Hayden Lawn
Time:  6:15-8:00pm
Title:  "Islamic Law:  The Legacy of Propeht Muhammad"
Place:  College of Law Armstrong Hall Rm105
(Hosted by:  The Muslim Law Students' Association (MLSA)
Co-Sponsored by:  GPSA and ACLU at ASU College of Law)

Friday, November 5th:
Time:  5:00pm
Title:  Fast-a-thon Banquet - "Muhammad the Mesenger:  The Final Message"
Place:  MU226 Ventana Ballroom

Description:  Would you go hungry for change?  Muslim students invite their fellow students, professors, and community members to join them on this day for a Ramadan fast from food and drink during the daylight hours.  Ramadan is the holy month of fasting for the Muslims.  For every person who fasts local businesses will make a donation to a local food bank.  After you have fasted, join us for a banquet fast-breaking meal!  To sign up contact [email protected]

Islam Awareness Week Events also at ASU West (For more information on these events contact MSA at ASU West [email protected]):

Tuesday, November 2nd:
Time:  12:00-1:00pm
Title:  The History of Islam in America
Place:  UCB265

Wednesday, November 3rd:
Time:  3:30-4:30pm
Title:  Q&A abotu Ramadan and Islam
Place:  Sands 215

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
b-e-a utifull!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Description: Would you go hungry for change? Muslim students invite their fellow students, professors, and community members to join them on this day for a Ramadan fast from food and drink during the daylight hours. Ramadan is the holy month of fasting for the Muslims. For every person who fasts local businesses will make a donation to a local food bank. After you have fasted, join us for a banquet fast-breaking meal! To sign up contact [email protected]

Just for that, I'm ordering extra bacon on my sammich for lunch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful.  Just beautiful. I would go to that meeting, sit in the front row, and  munch on a huge bag of pork rinds as loud as I can..
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
After 9-11, every week is the National Islam Awareness Week.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
... I had an awkward Muslim moment today. Some neighbors on the block are Muslim, they're legitimate refugees from Afghanistan. We've briefly discussed politics but we both felt awkward about it and quickly diverted attention elsewhere. Oddly, I've never heard the Mr. or Mrs. condemn Islamic fundamentalists or Muslim terrorists at all, never heard them mention support for the President, nothing at all since 9/11. Even back then, it seemed to me that they felt Osama wasn't the man but ironically, Saddam was, and he was the one Bush should be after. In no way do I feel they are a security threat but I think they want a pacifist leader in the White House. Anyway, I've flown Bush stickers on my vehicles since earlier this year so they know of my party affiliation. Today I go to my polling place and by pure happenstance, lo & behold I get in line right behind them. I start up some cheery small-talk unrelated to politics whatsoever and I get the complete cold shoulder - barely even made eye contact. It was like they were nervous I was there and they knew I am a Bush supporter (perhaps they're not). Oh well, it's been a nerve wracking week, took the rest of the day off and tomorrow as well. Where is our country headed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a whole apartment complex at ASU that is a mini IRAN!  Imagine the stink in those apartments.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If you know the secret clubhouse knock, they let you into the "special" classes.

Chest Rigging
School Layout and Design
Planes, Trains and Automobiles I
Planes, Trains and Automobiles II

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
, I've never heard the Mr. or Mrs. condemn Islamic fundamentalists or Muslim terrorists at all,

Well, there's a fucking surprise.

What day is the presentation dealing with islam's global participation in the war of freedom terror?
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If anyone goes to one of these functions, please ask them why there isn't a singlr roll of toilet paper in Saudi?

And offer your LEFT hand as a greeting!

Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's a whole apartment complex at ASU that is a mini IRAN!  Imagine the stink in those apartments.

I CAN imagine the stink, as I have unfortunately smelled it!  I used to work for the Arizona Republic as a collector back in the day, and I spent many occasions in those shitty apartments  just off of Lemon and Terrace in Tempe.  The skanky funk that permeates the air in that WHOLE AREA left a nauseating indelible mark on my brain and olfactory!  We used to call the area "Sin City".  I remember thinking back in '90 that we should just MOAB the whole place.  Too bad we didn't.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, and by the way, there isn't just ONE apartment complex in that area that are SN infested.  There are a bunch!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, that brings back a memory from last year!

When me and the ex were gonna move into an apt together, we got an Arab from Jersey as a roomie by accident.  It smelled so bad, and he had only been there for the day!  My ex was very upset, and quickly got us changed to a dif apt with dif roomies.  She just couldn't get over the smell, not to mention he gave out a very weird vibe to the both of us.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#13]
OMG  im going on the tour MUNCHING the whole fucking time.

I'll even offer my oreos to everyone to be nice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Did Allah return from the ass of a man during Ramadan?

Did everyone check their shit for signs of Allah?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OMG  im going on the tour MUNCHING the whole fucking time.

I'll even offer my oreos to everyone to be nice.

Pork rinds?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

"Sin City"
"Indian Avenue"

It had many names whe I attended ASU.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top