Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 4:10:43 PM EDT
Click here for a thread going on in the GD.

We really could use your help.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This type of shit is PROOF POSITIVE that Liberalism is a Fucking MENTAL DISORDER!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump, everyone check this out..
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#3]
 Saw this on the news.  Pathetic.

E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
And what would you have ASU do? Fire the guy? Make him stop?

On the one hand, folks say "I support your First Amendment rights..." then proceed to tell this person how wrong he is and that he should stop and the University should fire his ass, etc.

That doesn't sound like support for the First Amendment to me....
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on what would you like ASU to do?

As far as I know/can prove, he wasn't on the clock when he did this.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

His first Amendment right do not guarantee him to publically degrade an alumni of the instution that he works for does it? WTF? The first Amendment guarantees your right to free speech but it doesn't protect you from consequences of exercising that right. If I follow your logic, I could walk into work tomorrow AM and tell my boss to kiss my ass and not expect to be fired. Oh, while that's on company time, or on company property. OK, on my own time, and on my own dime, do you think I can take a full page ad out in the paper and tell everyone my company sucks, or my boss is gay? After all, I am on my own time and using my money to conduct a 'personal' act that doesn't involve a single 'company' resource. Think I will get to keep my job???? I think you people need to brush up on your Constitution.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His first Amendment right do not guarantee him to publically degrade an alumni of the instution that he works for does it? WTF? The first Amendment guarantees your right to free speech but it doesn't protect you from consequences of exercising that right. If I follow your logic, I could walk into work tomorrow AM and tell my boss to kiss my ass and not expect to be fired. Oh, while that's on company time, or on company property. OK, on my own time, and on my own dime, do you think I can take a full page ad out in the paper and tell everyone my company sucks, or my boss is gay? After all, I am on my own time and using my money to conduct a 'personal' act that doesn't involve a single 'company' resource. Think I will get to keep my job???? I think you people need to brush up on your Constitution.

I am an instructor here at ASU.  I can go to a bar with all of my friends and call one of my students an idiot or an asshole. It might not be morally right, but I don't see how they would fire this guy.  
Notice I never said anything about the first amendment, you did.  I think you need to brush up on the real world.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#8]
To say one thing to a coworker in a semiprivate setting is one thing.

To print and put words into the mouth af a deadman that from all indications would not have said any such thing over steps the bounds of decency.  
While decency may be a nebulous thing to university types, in the outside world it's very plain to see that it just plain wrong.  

The first amendment may give freedom of speech, If I take the picture of the person who placed the posters, and put on there “I slept with the deans wife, she was great in bed”.    I can guarantee you that all hell would break loose.

Now not a thing will happen the bastardized retard that you have on the payroll.  And that’s a shame.  The university has a chance to “pioneer” limits.  From the information posted on the website, the entire school administration is hard core communist and needs to be removed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The First Amendment guarantees speech free of government intervention.

Calling your boss an ass  could get you fired...it's the boss' decision to do so.

However, ASU is a government institution. Thus, they can do nothing and should, IMO, do nothing.

What this guy did was reprehensible.  The government, at any level, just shouldn't get involved.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The First Amendment guarantees speech free of government intervention.

Actually that garauntee only goes so far. It doesn't give a person the right to use someone elses image without their permission. Try promoting the 2nd Amendment using the picture of Sarah Brady. She will slap you with a law suit so fast you won't know what hit you. And try and defend yourself by saying it was within my First Amendment rights and they will laugh you out of the court room right after they slap a ceast and desist order on you right after they award Sarah Brady your earnings for the rest of your life in damages. This assistant professor of yours is guilty of the same thing.

Sorry but he should be fired and to be made to publically apologize to the Tillman family.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:09:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

However, ASU is a government institution. Thus, they can do nothing and should, IMO, do nothing.

BZZZZT.. Wrong... ASU is NOT a government institution.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:54:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am an instructor here at ASU.  I can go to a bar with all of my friends and call one of my students an idiot or an asshole. It might not be morally right, but I don't see how they would fire this guy.  
Notice I never said anything about the first amendment, you did.  I think you need to brush up on the real world.  

Bottom line is that the first Amendment guarantees your right to free speech, but it doesn't grant you immunity from recourse if you elect to exercise that right.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BZZZZT.. Wrong... ASU is NOT a government institution.

Where do they get their money?

State of Arizona, which subsidizes tuitions of state residents and is run by a Board of Regents that are empowered by the state.

Public money + Public Power = public (government) institution

The Sarah Brady example is NOT a First Amendment issue.  If Sarah Brady decided to do nothing about it, would the government get involved? No.  Sarah Brady is the one who files a tort action against the person using her image, not the government.

In the example that was originally brought up, where is the harm?  Tillman (actually, his family).  There could very well be a civil action possible against the professor by Tillman's estate/family, but it's up to them to seek relief, not the government.

TimW
Phoenix

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top