Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:10 PM EDT
Hey guys, Just wondering if any of you have had (or know of people who) experience with the AZ dept of corrections. I have done google searches.. found nothing. Trying to find out if CO's like working for the department. Thinking about applying in the near future...

Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
They leave officers up in towers to be raped by inmates for weeks.  No police department in this state would allow that to happen in their jurisdiction.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to have a certain mind set to work for the AZDOC.
Not the job I personally would want, but a lot of the people I know that work for them like it.
Used to be that the pay rate was good compared to the cost of living here in AZ, but that has changed here in the past 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I know several guys who either work there, or used to work there.

I would say that ADOC is the most reviled employer in the state.  Seriously low pay, dangerous environment and an agency that gives more concern to the complaints of prisoners than the safety of the correction officers or the security of the prison.

Stay away unless you really need the work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know several guys who either work there, or used to work there.

I would say that ADOC is the most reviled employer in the state.  Seriously low pay, dangerous environment and an agency that gives more concern to the complaints of prisoners than the safety of the correction officers or the security of the prison.

Stay away unless you really need the work.

I know a few FORMER employee's, and I would agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Let's put it this way....I went through the pre-employment process and ALMOST joined....and then I came to my senses!  Actually, I was fortunate enough to have a part time coworker that works at the prison tell me all about the job.  I would rather work for Pizza Hut!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey guys, Just wondering if any of you have had (or know of people who) experience with the AZ dept of corrections. I have done google searches.. found nothing. Trying to find out if CO's like working for the department. Thinking about applying in the near future...

Anyone?

Work for the county

www.maricopa.gov/human_resources/job_pdf/2380.pdf

If you really want to apply, IM me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow.. Thanks for the info. I thought that the pay was kind of low.. but hey, they pay 10% more to work at the maximum security prison (florence)... lol. I'll just wait and apply with TPD or DPS..  Thanks again!

Brett
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I've known a few CO's and had a few in my college Justice classes. They all hated their jobs and were hoping it was a first step in becoming an LEO. It isn't!

Remember, the more you are around shit the more you start to smell like it.

MCSO has a HUGE turnover in correction officers. Not sure if privatization is the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've known a few CO's and had a few in my college Justice classes. They all hated their jobs and were hoping it was a first step in becoming an LEO. It isn't!

Remember, the more you are around shit the more you start to smell like it.

MCSO has a HUGE turnover in correction officers. Not sure if privatization is the right direction.

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked for them 7 years ago. Did a 6 year stint, quitting to become a "real" cop.

If you are competent, the promotional opportunites will be there. I started when I was 18 and fresh out of high school (they've since upped the minimum age to 21) and learned a great deal about life during my time there. I worked minimum (scariest) medium (pretty damn scary) and maximum (a breeze) units, even working the high proflile protective custody child molesters in CB4 (Winslow).

If your interested in seeing how the crim justice system works, it's a good place to start, and if you can put up with the bullshit, the pay eventually comes up (take this with a grain of salt, I'm a gov't employee now and don't make shit) to a liveable scale.

Plus, you get free hair cuts and shoe shines.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Working Close Custody is the best. Most of the inmates are shitbags and unless you really fuck up, and get snitched on or videotaped, a lot of fun to be had.

Ahhh....memories........
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys, thanks a LOT.. I have tried to talk to people who might know people.. lol.. Ive gotten 50/50. I DO want to get into LE, and wanted kind of a 'stepping stone' since I am coming from CA... does this even make sense? Or should I just start applying..

Border Patrol looks awesome, but from what I have heard, they will stick you wherever they need you, not just close to your home... no?

Guys again.. Thanks a lot!

Brett
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:55:28 AM EDT
[#15]
New Federal Penitentary getting ready to open in about a year in Tucson. 2 miles South of I-10 on Wilmot.  Will probably have inmates in two years.  Starting pay will be in the 30's and officers with more time max out with a base pay in the 50's. I know some officers who make up to $80,000 a year with OT.  Tucson Federal Law Enforcement Pay Table with locality pay.

104 hours vacation a year up to 3 years service. 160 hours of vacation 3 years to 15 years service. 208 hours (5 weeks and a day) vacation a year with 15+ years of Federal service in which active duty military counts for leave basis and retirement.  104 hours of sick leave a year.  10 paid holidays.  Shift diference is 10% from 6:00pm to 6:00am.  Sunday pay is 25% additional.  Benefits

Retirement @ 20 years of service at 50 years of age.  25 years of service retire at any age.  Maximum age to get hired is 37, mandatory retirement is 57.  Need some kind of experience to get hired. Doesn't have to be corrections or law enforcement.  If you meet the qualifications you can apply online.  Should be 400 to 500 hundred positions at the pen. and 60% have to be filled by the local community.  

Beats the pay at the state by a long shot.  Most officers work at the state first or are military veterans.

As for a stepping stone to other law enforcement.  Every year Border Patrol, Marshal's Service, FBI, Customs, INS, DEA and other Federal Agencies recruit from correctional officers where I work.  Usually it takes getting to know employees and officers from those agencies.

Recruitment
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#16]

No one wants to live in God-Forsaken Florence

Easy there Trigger, at least we know where our criminals are.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Easy there Trigger, at least we know where our criminals are.

Drunk at Gibby's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top