Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 8:38:42 PM EDT
Anyone know windows 2000 well????

I am running windows 2000 and I want to basically format the hard drive and reinstall everything.  I have soooooooo much CRAP and spyware / virus's and half installed programs and such that my computer is FUBAR'd.  I am trying to format the C: but it won't let me.    It tells me I have to dismount the volume 1st and when I say "yes"  it won't let me.  I've tried booting into "dos" but windows 200 doesn't have that option like win. 98 etc.

Anyone know how I can format my harddrive?????  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Put in bootable Win2k CD and boot from it, should be able to format from there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

If it's just a spyware/spam/virus/trojan/popup problem, there's much better solutions. Shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't you just have to type format c:\  from the command line

Yes I know this will tell you that you have to dismount your drive. But have you tried restarting the computer since entering the command. I thought that once you gave the command then next time the computer was restarted it would start to format the drive.

BTW, it won't let you unmount the c: drive because thats the drive that has all your operating system files on it. Once you dismount the drive the computer would stop functioning.

It doesn't give you the option to start in DOS because Win 2K doesn't have dos at all. Thats why an option like that isn't there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem with Windows XP.  Turns out I had all my spyware/pop-up blockers/firewalls turned off after Cox needed access to it to resolve an unrelated problem.  Man, I tried for weeks to fix it.  Finally, I bought a 60 dollar hard drive from Best Buy and in 1/2 hour problem solved.

For one day.

Turns out that when you replace a hard drive due to infections, you need to replace the memory sticks, too.  I had no idea things could infect those, but I tried it and it was fixed that time (had to get another hard drive, again).  Your situation may be different, I'm just letting you know what worked for me.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, let me know if you've still got those hard drives and want to get rid of them.. I'd like to see if I could get them to work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
sorry, bro... hard drives got a hammer to em and pitched.  I have heard that even messed up ones still have private information that one who knows how to do it can retreive.  I didn't want to take a chance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Windows 2000 doesn't recognize commands such as FDISK.  It uses a much more robust partitioning utility calld DISKPART.

2 things you can do.  You can boot from the CD and choose the recovery/command console and run diskpart from there (if you have already installed the command console you don't need to boot from the cd).  Other option is to boot from CD and go through the process to reinstall the OS.  You will get propted for partioning info for the install, and you can delete and recreate your partitions there as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I've been so busy, I havn't had time to mess with it yet.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I'm back!!  I know you all missed me for the day I was gone... right????

I got it all reinstalled and now I am working on getting all my little programs reinstalled and updated from the net.  I would have been back last night except I lost my CD that had my modem drives on it.....   finally found it!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top