Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 12:37:53 AM EDT
Looking for a spot to go blasting (tannerite, .50 cal & loud music)

I'm not looking to shoot my cousins refridgerater or leave a brass pile, just want to
get away from the ass hats that need peace and quite at the range.

Anyone know of any good spots north of Scottsdale? I used to go east on dynamite
way the fuck out  by the wash, but it is loaded with people on bikes now.

What is the law? Out of city limits and 1 mile from any paved road?

THANKS!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Looking for a spot to go blasting (tannerite, .50 cal & loud music)

I'm not looking to shoot my cousins refridgerater or leave a brass pile, just want to
get away from the ass hats that need peace and quite at the range.

Anyone know of any good spots north of Scottsdale? I used to go east on dynamite
way the fuck out  by the wash, but it is loaded with people on bikes now.

What is the law? Out of city limits and 1 mile from any paved road?

THANKS!

Arizona law is 1/4 mile from an occupied structure and no shooting accross roads.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You pretty much have to be East of Fountain Hills (off the reservation) or North/West of Table Mesa road to shoot. There are also the Tonto closures to contend with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]

The only legal land to target shoot on in Arizona is BLM and National Forrest. Although hunting is allowed on some State Trust land. And some people shoot on State Trust land. But if law enforcement wanted to, they can cite you a ticket on State Trust land.

There are some closures on National Forrest land to target shooting though. Most of the lower Tonto National Forrest is closed to target shooting.

May I suggest you get a map that show's the different types of land. I myself bought some from BLM.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to take Dynamite Road East to where it T's.  Then I went into the Neddlerock area, payed my three bucks, and headed out further East, behind the ranch.  We fished/camped/hunted there for years by the Rio Verde River (on the South side, the North side is closed or it is supposed to be... I've seen people over there but the sighns prohibit it).  Last time I was there (3 or so years ago) it looked like someone had kinda trashed the area, and the Quail were no where to be found, having migrated over to the new golf course by the town of Rio Verde.

Is this area now closed?  A game Warden told me it was probably going to happen thanks to the idiots who have no respect and were tearing everything up, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

If nothing else, take the 101 West to I17, then North to Table Mesa Road (exit 236), West to the North turnoff.  A little drive for you, but all freeway.  If you only have a car, stay to the left of all the V's you encounter--that's the most maintained road and is graded smooth.  Follow all the way down until you get to the brown, locked fence (it's big).  There are some nice places to shoot there, good backstops (soft sandstone) and, since there is only room for a couple of guys, you will be private.  

The nicest time to be out there is early Sat/Sun morning, about 6 or 7.  If you go during a weekday, you will have absolutely no one anywhere near you.  Watch out for all the ATV riders.  And call me so I can hitch a ride with you - sodas and lunch on me.  Tannerite is on me.

Anyone have any info on the Rio Verde area I mentioned?  I was usually private, but I did notice that there is a remote controlled airplane club that has a little runway back in there, so I kept an extra sense of awareness which direction my muzzles were pointing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to find BLM lands, there's plenty of that in Arizona.  You are allowed to shoot on BLM land (according to the 2 rules sited above) and since it is public land, it is YOUR land.  Everytime I come to Arizona, I go straight to BLM lands, never a hassle, no one will ever both you, not even Federal officials, who are never around anyway.  Unlike State and Nat'l forest and most private land, which is overly posted and you risk trespass.  My favourite place is Harquahala Mtn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top