Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 12:30:34 AM EDT
Had an interesting day today.  Went on a field trip to the mosque in tempe for my elements of intercultural communication course (don't ask) with about 10 other students.  We were scheduled for a tour and to observe their 1:00 prayer service.  During the tour one of the girls asked about Muslim funeral serverices and how they prepare the body of the deceased.  After answering the questions, our tour guide told us that they were having a funeral today after the prayer service, and we were welcome to attend.  Yeah, it seemed a little strange, but I decided to stick around for it with about 5 of the other students.  After the prayer service we were led to an outside courtyard were people were gathering for the funeral.  I was slightly suprised to see the body of the deceased in the courtyard.  There was no casket, the body was laying on a table simply wrapped in white cloth.  The service was less than five minuets long.  It consisted of a few short prayers said in Arabic.  We were also invited to join in the prayers, but already feeling awkward enough, we all simply stood to the side and observed.  Much to our suprise, after the service was over, our guide asked if we would like to view the body.  Only me and one other girl took him up on this offer (apparently my instructor was getting a bit sick by this time).  He walked us up to the body and spent about ten more minuets explaining preparation, service, and burial.  Ok, all it all it still seems a bit wierd to me, but I definently walked away with an experience I won't soon forget.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you ask him how the body is prepared if it's in pieces after a suicide attack?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you ask him how the body is prepared if it's in pieces after a suicide attack?

If you use enough explosives, you don't even have to dig a hole!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you leave the tannerite in a good spot?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... There was no casket, the body was laying on a table simply wrapped in white cloth.  

... General rule if thumb when doing this: Leave out in sun no longer than you would that of potato salad made with mayonnaise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Watched a good Israeli/Palestinian conflict documentary on HBO.  They had kids scraping up as much flesh of a dead Hamas leader the Israeli's got in a missle attack.  They were putting it in a jar.  What a way to grow up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top