Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 11:29:31 PM EDT
You guys have probably seen him at the Tucson and Phoenix gun shows.  Good guy that sells RRA, Eagle Arms and maybe Armalite AR's and stripped lowers .   Old Dumbnik needs to go though but I guess that is asking too much.

Assault Weapons in Tucson

Mark Stine KOLD News 13 Reporter  
Posted: 9-19-04

"They're exactly the same in function, they fire the same cartridge, they have the same amount of accuracy, one is not more powerful than the other."

At a gun show at the Tucson Convention Center, gun dealer Mike Detty puts the former assault weapon ban to the test.

Side by side AR-15 rifles look almost identical. But one has been legal for the past 10 years, one just became legal last week.

"It has the flash hider, it has the bayonet lug." Two very minute differences, Mike says, the ban changed. The flash hider hides the flash the gun makes when it fires, and the bayonet lug holds a bayonet. He says it's all cosmetic.

"The reality of it is, these weapons never went away, they looked a little different because they didn't have flash hiders or bayonet lugs that's the only difference," Detty said.

But Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik disagrees. He feels lifting this ban poses a real threat to everyone. "I think they present a real hazard to people in this country and especially to police officers whom I have a responsibility to protect."

Sheriff Dupnik adds, now that the ban is lifted, it'll be hard to reverse the effects already taking place. "It's too late. Once the ban expires the market is going to be flooded and it's going to be very difficult to go back and undo what's been done."

Just like the sheriff eluded, Mike Detty says he's seen an increase in sales, but says it's most likely because of the wide spread coverage by the media.

And since the changes are just cosmetic in Mike's eyes, he's happy to keep the items in stock.

"People seem to want the flash hider and the bayonet lugs because they haven't been able to legally own them for the past 10 years, and that's fine, doesn't make the gun any more deadly or any more powerful, if they want them, I'm happy to sell it to them."

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
At least he got more time than your sheriff did this time. I hope anyway since I didn't see the report.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
So he's a gun dealer??

I never knew that.

Kinda make syou wonder about all those articles he churns out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Your Sheriffs an idiot!
George
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your Sheriffs an idiot!
George

I agree our sheriff  is a idiot  but irc hes up for relection
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your Sheriffs an idiot!
George

Well, there's your chance.

I know it's not always that simple though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So he's a gun dealer??

I never knew that.

Kinda make syou wonder about all those articles he churns out.

Yes, Mike is a dealer and a super nice guy to deal with. As soon as I get back home in a few weeks I'm going to hit him up for 2 AR recievers...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Man, you still are a grammar/punctuation/spelling train wreck.  Even after 7 thousand posts.
But we still love you!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, you still are a grammar/punctuation/spelling train wreck.  Even after 7 thousand posts.
But we still love you!

onscreen keyboard is a bitch to use,  got a stand alone keyboard coming in. At school so I am on the laptop.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Sheriff Dupnik: "I don't care what you boys say! Them flash hiders is dangerous, I tell ya! Dangerous! Why just last week Deputy JimBob stepped on one, fell down, and cracked his skull. Toldja they wuz dangerous to the pohleece."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top